How about a provision for tracking cache contents?

Bloencustoms

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I thought it might be a cool addition to cache pages. Many of the pages I've visited list the original contents of the cache. What would it take to add a section to the cache pages that would list the contents, and allow cachers to change the contents to reflect the trades they made? This may even put more pressure on cachers to make better trades, as more attention would be drawn to that aspect of their visit. This wouldn't be that pertinent to a TNLN log, but would help one track contents better, and give a more concise method for determining when a check up is required. Let me know what y'all think. icon_smile.gif

"I'm not moving my car 'till you get my food right!"

Personally, I've often wondered why some cache hiders list the initial contents of the cache. After the first few finders get to it it is no longer accurate.

I tried tracking the contents on my cache by using the log entries and quickly discovered that there are so many ways to describe an item that it's almost impossible.

I rely on my "cache maintenance" checks to see if I need to do anything with the contents. I realize that this is easy for me to check my one cache, and those who have a couple dozen may find it more difficult.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I found that by listing the initial contents as a Note, then the cache description doesn't get out-of-date, but still gives you the chance to list the special items available for the first few finders. Later it scrolls off the screen along with the other old logs.

I discovered this method when I needed to drop a travel bug into a new cache.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

[This message was edited by LilDevil on April 04, 2003 at 12:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

I found that by listing the initial contents as a Note, then the cache description doesn't get out-of-date, but still gives you the chance to list the special items available for the first few finders. Later it scrolls off the screen along with the other old logs.

This works great. We've been using this for a little while. I never could understand why someone would list the original contents and never remove it even after a year.

An added benefit of listing it as a note is it doesn't continue to clutter up the description page for when you put in on your Palm.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I used to list the original contents on the cache page. I guess the main reason is that in the website's hide a cache tutorial, they suggest doing this. Probably the same reason others do it.

I stopped quite a while ago and have been removing the list from my cache pages. I do like the idea of listing the contents in a note and may start doing that.

Whenever I find a cache, I note my trade. I wish more would do this, because then I'd find out who keeps leaving &%$# food in my caches!

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

I personally don't like to know what is "supposed" to be in a cache. I do log what I take and then mention I replaced with a new item. More exciting that way to me I guess. Never know what you will find and often they are out of date as was mentioned.

To live in fear is not to live.