Your least favourite part?

Narilka

When I'm searching GZ and haven't found it yet and the kids are hungry/tired/have-to-pee and start whining.

If I do my Momma part right, if they are fed and rested and bladders are empty then they are happy and excited to be out caching with me. But nobody is perfect (least of all me) and if we are out in less than ideal kid-conditions, the resulting whining is DEFINATELY my lease favorite part. Of course, the fact that I really REALLY don't like to give up, and often keep searching even as I say "All right, we can go back...", and sometimes just outright try to ignore their complaints, that doesn't help much either.

It has probably occured on less than 10% of our finds, but if I have to pick a least favorite part, its kid-whining, no matter how infrequent it occurs. Kid-whining SUCKS.

--Momma Caswell

1. Earthcaches

2. Barking dog caches.

3. P&G caches that state, "you can park right next to it", and when you get there, the first thing you see is a 1/2 mile of curb full of "No Parking" signs. Just because the hider has bad habits doesn't mean that I should mimic them.

4. "Ship in the bottle" caches. - Caches where the next is narrower than the container, trapping the log.

When I'm searching GZ and haven't found it yet and the kids are hungry/tired/have-to-pee and start whining.

If I do my Momma part right, if they are fed and rested and bladders are empty then they are happy and excited to be out caching with me. But nobody is perfect (least of all me) and if we are out in less than ideal kid-conditions, the resulting whining is DEFINATELY my lease favorite part. Of course, the fact that I really REALLY don't like to give up, and often keep searching even as I say "All right, we can go back...", and sometimes just outright try to ignore their complaints, that doesn't help much either.

It has probably occured on less than 10% of our finds, but if I have to pick a least favorite part, its kid-whining, no matter how infrequent it occurs. Kid-whining SUCKS.

--Momma Caswell

+1 This is an all-too-familiar refrain.

I often cache with the geokids. I hate when I am on a roll, and they start to get restless. "Dad, I am board." "Dad, I want to go home and play Halo with you." "Dad, I am hungry" ("LarryBoy3, we just had lunch 1.5h ago, and you just had a granola bar") "Dad I ahve to go pee" ("The Big Cache, you just went pee 20 min ago") etc.

I also hate that I seem to only have time for a couple of proper hikes/scrambles a year. I want to do 30+ a year like some of the other locals.

being relatively new at caching- our family hasn't enjoyed the "boring city" caches as much... Why do people feel the need to stick a cache in a trash infested bush located at a HUGELY busy intersection where at least 100 people every min assume we are up to no good as we look?????? What is the point of those locations? there is nothing interesting and no real point, except to hide another cache... :mad: (can you tell I am annoyed?!)

We much prefer the ones that take us somewhere interesting or out of the way. We have discovered so many cool places in our own backyard since we started geocaching- and those are the ones we love!! :D

When we are having trouble finding a cache and multiple logs say how it is a quick, easy find or how their 5 year old walked right up to it.

Film cans set down right in the open against a post or telephone pole, no camo or thought given whatsoever. Over and over again.

Caches with lots of favorites in very high muggle places--had to leave one today due to prying eyes. Just visiting the area and cannot return at a better time, say six a.m.

Caches in the midst of a field of yellow star thistle--had to leave one today but Mr. Caty, who wears jeans in all weather conditions, got it.

Fields of foxtails.

Reading multiple logs of how cachers found it only after calling a friend or getting hints I have no way of getting. Or going out with super-cachers I don't know.

Minor irritations, I still love the game!

I think the best and worst part of geocaching is mother nature in Minnesota. It's my first year of geocaching. I like the wooded trail caches. Beautiful scenery, free of muggles, and a good source of exercise, are all reasons I like the hikes. The weather here lately has to be rivaling a rain forest climate. On one occasion, I had to pull my teenage daughter back down from the mosquitoes that were carrying her away. It has been hot and wet and too buggy. I haven't cached for two weeks now. I'm at the mercy of mother nature, and she seems to be %#^(@*.

The Minnesota government shutdown made me crabby too. I did a cache on the 4th of July that was in a state park directly across the lake from my parents' lake home only to find out later that the cache had been made unavailable because of our state shutdown. I took the boat over and tied up to the dock. The signs did not say closed. They only said the park was not being supervised or maintained. I found the multi cache, took it from the mosquitoes, and boated back across the lake. I went to log it online and that's when I found it was unavailable. <_<

Hope I don't get into trouble when I do log it. :ph34r:

Where to start...

. . .

Not to mention, . . .

Traditional caches - you actually have to spend time looking for these things. How much fun is that? My least favorite part of caching.

Multi-Caches - you have to look for something at least twice and only get one smiley?

Repetitive Trails - you look for the same thing a thousand times

Smileys - Aren't emoticons irritating?

FTFs - Especially when they use added smileys and add a whole lot of "wahoos" to the log..

I guess the only thing that is left to do are Challenges.

Edited by geodarts

I hate having to wait for an event to bubble over with excitement over an adventure that I had while geocaching. Any time that I have tried to tell my friends about something even remotely related to the sport, they get that zonked out look and I end up changing the subject.

I don't like areas where it looks like some mad micro maniac flew over and dropped a payload of film cans along a highway. I'll hunt them regardless...I just get bored after a while. I like a challenge. Give me a micro that is cleverly disguised among the twenty previous camo film cans...and I can continue happily.

I HATE it when the other half starts to whine. If I leave him at home he whines and if I take him on a hike that even remotely uphill or one that is more than 1/4 miles he whines. I'm starting to really dislike telling him that I'm going "shopping" so I can snag a few of the more strenuous caches. ;)

I absolutely go out of my mind if we're broke and we have to be careful with how much gas we use. Being stuck and knowing that it's beautiful out without transportation is enough to send me into fits.

Another one I thought I'd add:

When I can't find an access/parking area.<_<

THIS. My vehicular / driving GPS is old and awful. On more occasions than I'd like to admit, it has asked me to pull off a busy highway and climb a cliffside instead of getting me into accurate parking.

If you hide a cache in a non-urban setting, parking coordinates are always appreciated.

Kids having to go potty...yeah. Our caching bag has TP in it, but sometimes there's nothing to do but leave.

Poison oak. Ugh....

One of my least favorites is when someone has found a Grade A Awesome spot for a cache, then they put a micro there. My only hope is that they're "saving" the space for a really great cache someday. Seems like such a waste of a great spot.

And micros in general. We usually skip them, even when we find ourselves 32 feet from GZ by accident (hey, it happens!) My kids hate them, my husband hates them, and if I can't find them in under 5 minutes, then I hate them too. Someone once said that you hate to look for micros but love to find them, that pretty much describes me.

I tend to over-think the easiest caches. Today I did one that was located in an old style out house (the ones people used before they had modern plumbing). When I entered the "shack," my first instinct was to lift the lids on the old toilets, thinking someone was dumb enough to hide it in there. After opening one, I saw the cache in plain sight behind the toilet box.

Other than making the easy ones harder than they are, the one thing I hate is underestimating what footwear I'll be needing...

Poison oak. Well, not really poison oak, but poison oak combined with my insatiable need to stick my hand in there and get the cache anyway when I know I shouldn't because I'm so allergic but it's right there and I really want to get it. :)

And sap. I've ruined too many shirts and pants by not looking where I'm sitting/leaning/climbing when caching. (But that's probably my fault too. :))