Is it possible to unactivate a coin?

jbushee

I know they can be adopted or something, but is it possible to unactivate coins so they can be offered for sale like on IOffer or something?

Activated geocoins can be adopted to another cacher but they cannot be unactivated once they are activated.

Edit: I guess they can be unactivated in special circumstances. Huh, who knew?

Edited by Mauison

I know they can be adopted or something, but is it possible to unactivate coins so they can be offered for sale like on IOffer or something?

Yes, it is possible. But you cannot do it yourself. Just write to contact@geocaching.com and tell them some breathtaking story as to why you want them to reset the status of your Geocoin. You'll then receive a new activation code after they issued the reset on your Geocoin's database entry.

That sounds dishonest if you're trying to turn a used coin into a new "never activated" coin so it resells better.

Yes, it is possible. But you cannot do it yourself. Just write to contact@geocaching.com and tell them some breathtaking story as to why you want them to reset the status of your Geocoin. You'll then receive a new activation code after they issued the reset on your Geocoin's database entry.

That sounds dishonest if you're trying to turn a used coin into a new "never activated" coin so it resells better.

Very DISHONEST!!!

I believe this only happens in very exception circumstances, and only with very, very good reasons for needing to do so.

Any coin that was activated with the intention of putting it into the game (or has been part of the game) would not have a chance of being "born again".

Well, looks like you touch on a bit of a nerve. Provided the traveler hasn't been logged by anyone or any where you can request it to be unactivated. What you choose to with it after that is up to you.

Not to mention a loophole into taking somebody else's coin from a cache.... having it unactivated and then selling it as your own <_< This would take some time and effort... but criminal minds often prevail.
I seriously doubt that Groundspeak would do a reset on a trackable item unless the request came from the current owner of the item

it is also my understanding that any such reset is done only rarely, and only if there is a very good reason for doing so

I would hope that Groundspeak would check to make sure that it is the owner of the coin that is contacting them.

I could think of a few reasons to inactivate a coin. Just hope that the coin isn't then sold. that would be an inaccurate reflection of the coin. For instance, the coin could be sold as uncirculated. If the coin was only dipped by the owner into caches.... That is still circulation.

That is just my opinion.... I just hope that doesn't become a really popular habit in coining.

I can imagine that there are some valid reason to unactivate a coin. That being said, accurate coin history is important to me, so that I would like to see an automatic procedure put into place that after a certain amount of time such as six months, or a year, or perhaps five years, logs become permanent and cannot be changed or removed by anyone including the owner. I want to know a coin's true history and not some fiction created by the current owner. I also would like to see all logs locked when an adoption takes place, so that the new owner cannot change the history.

I can imagine that there are some valid reason to unactivate a coin. That being said, accurate coin history is important to me, so that I would like to see an automatic procedure put into place that after a certain amount of time such as six months, or a year, or perhaps five years, logs become permanent and cannot be changed or removed by anyone including the owner. I want to know a coin's true history and not some fiction created by the current owner. I also would like to see all logs locked when an adoption takes place, so that the new owner cannot change the history.

I like that idea - it is a very good idea! You should submit it for consideration - I'd certainly put some of my votes on it!

I, too, like these ideas

sadly, there is nothing to stop the current owner from deleting logs prior to the adoption

maybe there could be a "governor" on log deletions ?

only X deletions per Y days ?

I can't think of a good reason that someone would be doing dozens of log deletions at a time

I should think that this would apply to geocaches as well as trackables

maybe allow looser limits on deleting your own logs, but have strict limits on deleting the logs of others . . .

I'm still not clear how we got to discussing previously owned and logged coins.

You own it, no one has logged it, yes you should have no problem getting it deactivated.

Edit: clarification

There should be a problem! Once it's activated it's activated. Only good reason to deactivated one is someone else activated it.