Premium membership snobbery

Oh for Pete's sake! If anyone needs the money, come mow my lawn and trim the edges and I'll give you 30 bucks (only one person each week). :rolleyes:

Good point. I paid some kid who had rented an aerator $40 to do my (small) lawn. You could make enough money to buy your PM, a new GPS, and laptop in an afternoon doing that...

But who wants to do that when you could be finding LPCs right?

I earned that much mowing lawns all weekend long and that was for regular spending money in the 70's. I had to mow 6 lawns to do it. It boogles my mind that people in today's age can't get the money. I don't believe they can't get it. I believe they won't get it.

Oh for Pete's sake! If anyone needs the money, come mow my lawn and trim the edges and I'll give you 30 bucks (only one person each week). :rolleyes:

That is condescending.

Is it condescending for a student who is trying to pay for collage to work at Starbucks in order to earn money? How is working for money condescending. Are you a communist? (not an insult, a real question) If not, I reall don't know where you are comming from. Working for money has always given me a feeling of honour. I could understand you suggesting that it was condescending if someone said they would give you a PM for nothing

My PM is due for renewal next month. I have a picture of a hottie geocaching in a tree that I am putting up for bids to pay for it. What's your bid?

Am I the only person here that doesn't think the lewd direction this thread took is inappropriate and degrading? <_<

It is a somewhat inside joke. Recently a female cacher posted a pic of her in a tree. No lewdness involved.

My PM is due for renewal next month. I have a picture of a hottie geocaching in a tree that I am putting up for bids to pay for it. What's your bid?

Am I the only person here that doesn't think the lewd direction this thread took is inappropriate and degrading? <_<

I was highly offended and peeved that people that don't like kids on this board act like kids themselves. But they've been here longer then me so it is not my place to judge. However, if they had made those statements about any woman in my family, in my presence, they would of gotten a mouthful of fist.

That is condescending.

...Of course, I'll give you the membership here so I know you will not squander the 30 bucks on junk. :lol:

Now that could be interpreted as condescending...

Hence the smilie at the end.

Apperantly my sarcasm detector is broken again. Seems to be happening alot recently.

That is condescending.

Now we're condescending elitist snobs! What other names can you come up with for folks who choose to pay for extra benefits? :blink:

Oh...forgot one...based on the popularity of a recent picture we're sexist condescending elitist snobs.

No. That one post by one member is condescending.

That is condescending.

Now we're condescending elitist snobs! What other names can you come up with for folks who choose to pay for extra benefits? :blink:

Oh...forgot one...based on the popularity of a recent picture we're sexist condescending elitist snobs.

No. That one post by one member is condescending.

Is it condescending for a student who is trying to pay for collage to work at Starbucks in order to earn money? How is working for money condescending. Are you a communist? (not an insult, a real question) If not, I reall don't know where you are comming from. Working for money has always given me a feeling of honour. I could understand you suggesting that it was condescending if someone said they would give you a PM for nothing.

Edited by Andronicus

That is condescending.

...Of course, I'll give you the membership here so I know you will not squander the 30 bucks on junk. :lol:

Now that could be interpreted as condescending...

Hence the smilie at the end.

The smilie doesn't make it funny or any less condescending.

Is it condescending for a student who is trying to pay for collage to work at Starbucks in order to earn money? How is working for money condescending. Are you a communist? (not an insult, a real question) If not, I reall don't know where you are comming from. Working for money has always given me a feeling of honour. I could understand you suggesting that it was condescending if someone said they would give you a PM for nothing.

If it was a genuine offer to someone that could actually come over and cut his grass and he left off the "For Pete's sake", then maybe not.

But the post as written is condescending.

No, there is nothing condescending about a student working at Starbucks and no I am not a communist. But I do recognize when someone is talking down to me.

When I was a kid, mowing lawns only earned me $11 per lawn. Times have changed! :)

When I was a kid, $11 would purchase two record albums.

Today, $30 will purchase two music CD's.

Some things haven't really changed that much.

Anyone who has the resources to buy a smartphone or a GPS, and who has an Internet connection and a computer, obviously COULD afford to buy a PM.

I agree with most of your post but to me the logic in the quote above is flawed.

Having items I may have purchased in less lean times does not mean I could afford to make those same purchases today. I may have bought a laptop last year but it could be now I have to trudge down to a wi-fi hotspot for internet. I may have started a two year contract for my smartphone last year but the early termination fees could make it impractical to downgrade to a basic phone until the service agreement is expired.

There was a time earlier this year where I had all the items on your list but I could not afford to renew my PM. There simply was not an extra $30 in my spending account at the time my renewal was due. So sometimes things are not so obvious.

This is where I'm at. I don't have a computer or internet. No money spent there. I have a smartphone that I use for internet, banking, pictures, email, calls too. I have some time left on my contract so I cent cancel now. But I may have to when it is up, and go with a basic phone.

I don't mind, and I'm not saying I deserve PM benefits without paying them. My situation has changed and I cent fit it into my budget. That's all I'm saying really.

By the way, I don't mind the comments about my picture. Although I didn't know it would get so much attention (as I was just trying to make a point about fun micros) I'm not naive either, and I enjoyed the attention. Thanks. :)

Also, how much can I earn if I cut your lawn wearing the shirt in my tree pic? :P That's worth a couple PMs, right?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

When I was a kid, mowing lawns only earned me $11 per lawn. Times have changed! :)

Yeah, they sure have. When I was a kid, a top-notch job earned you $5.

That is condescending.

Not at all. If I lived close enough, I'd take him up on the offer.

If it was a genuine offer to someone that could actually come over and cut his grass and he left off the "For Pete's sake", then maybe not.

No, there is nothing condescending about a student working at Starbucks and no I am not a communist. But I do recognize when someone is talking down to me.

And I was dead serious about the offer. I 'work' twelve hours a day and a total commute time of 3 hours round trip. I have very little time to cache let alone cut my lawn. It was an honest offer to let anyone that needed the money that lives close by that the offer is there. The shed is unlocked, the keys are in the tractor. The edge trimmer is to the left by the door and a can of gas is near the white shed by the gate. If there is a truck in the driveway I'd suggest you knock or my wife might shoot you for thinking you're a thief. If no truck, have at it.

Yeah, they sure have. When I was a kid, a top-notch job earned you $5.

If you saw my lawn, you might think it's worth thirty bucks. :D

And I was dead serious about the offer. I 'work' twelve hours a day and a total commute time of 3 hours round trip. I have very little time to cache let alone cut my lawn. It was an honest offer to let anyone that needed the money that lives close by that the offer is there. The shed is unlocked, the keys are in the tractor. The edge trimmer is to the left by the door and a can of gas is near the white shed by the gate. If there is a truck in the driveway I'd suggest you knock or my wife might shoot you for thinking you're a thief. If no truck, have at it.

I'll definitely knock, and let your wife know you sent me.

Oh yeah, now THAT ought to go over well! :lol:

By the way, I don't mind the comments about my picture. Although I didn't know it would get so much attention (as I was just trying to make a point about fun micros) I'm not naive either, and I enjoyed the attention. Thanks. :)

While it's great that you don't mind the behavior, I find the hooting about the photo and the "hey-baby"-esque posts inappropriate and degrading in general.

I'm fully prepared to take some flames from some fellas here on the forum, but that doesn't make such behavior "right". Comments like

"With pictures of you climbing trees hanging around here in the forums you just might get yourself a PM gifted to you soon. Have any other pictures.. wait, that crossed the line. Scratch that last one."
and

"My PM is due for renewal next month. I have a picture of a hottie geocaching in a tree that I am putting up for bids to pay for it. What's your bid?"

hardly belong on this forum.

Here I was being nice (1st time for everything) and you want me to be gelded? Thanks. <_<

While it's great that you don't mind the behavior, I find the hooting about the photo and the "hey-baby"-esque posts inappropriate and degrading in general.

I'm fully prepared to take some flames from some fellas here on the forum, but that doesn't make such behavior "right". Comments like

"With pictures of you climbing trees hanging around here in the forums you just might get yourself a PM gifted to you soon. Have any other pictures.. wait, that crossed the line. Scratch that last one."
and

"My PM is due for renewal next month. I have a picture of a hottie geocaching in a tree that I am putting up for bids to pay for it. What's your bid?"

Wow do you think you are taking this a bit far. Maybe I am wrong but the only girls who don't enjoy being called Hotties are usually the girls who have never been called hotties. I don't think Alabama Rambler meant anything mean by the post. Or even sexist. To be honest the conversation between Seeker and Rambler is probably the best part of this whole post. They both present their sides of an argument and ended up coming together and show appreciation for each other.

It seems you are going straight to the gutter in your thinking of what some of these people are saying.

Good job to Rambler and Seeker for talking things out. Bad job to Never Summer for getting offended at the littlest thing.

By the way Seeker as well as everyone else take pictures of yourself when you find hides. If you get a chance post the ones that have you smiling. It shows you enjoy the fun of caching.

Never summer start a new thread if you are so offended by any little thing.

ASH MCCLOUD

and

Wow do you think you are taking this a bit far. Maybe I am wrong but the only girls who don't enjoy being called Hotties are usually the girls who have never been called hotties. I don't think Alabama Rambler meant anything mean by the post. Or even sexist. To be honest the conversation between Seeker and Rambler is probably the best part of this whole post. They both present their sides of an argument and ended up coming together and show appreciation for each other.

It seems you are going straight to the gutter in your thinking of what some of these people are saying.

Good job to Rambler and Seeker for talking things out. Bad job to Never Summer for getting offended at the littlest thing.

By the way Seeker as well as everyone else take pictures of yourself when you find hides. If you get a chance post the ones that have you smiling. It shows you enjoy the fun of caching.

ASH MCCLOUD

Life is too short to worry about imagined wrongs. I tend to just ignore/forget the chaff and take with me 1-2 salient points. The thing I'll remember from this is that SeekerOfTheWay seems to be a very well-grounded cool person who interacts well with peers. *clap*

Her's was a great response.

Boy, what a twisty-turney thread!! From PM elitist snobbery to financial priorities to potential sexism. I'm glad I've got a GPS or I'd be seriously lost by now!

You forgot "condescending". It was snobbery, financial priorities, then condescending, and potential sexism. Do try to keep up!

If you get a chance post the ones that have you smiling. It shows you enjoy the fun of caching.

After taking pictures of myself, I look at the pic, and I am never smiling. I guess I am trying too hard to get a good pic and forget to smile.

eg114446d7-c283-4cfb-83d0-c2b300206dad.jpg

6d9c6b3a-5f0e-4c58-a9e6-3dae63b6ee98.jpg

PS, I know that I am good looking, but please, no "lewd" comments.

Edited by Andronicus

and

The comments are directed at me, so no reason for you to be offended. I'm a grown woman, and I've been around long enough to know a little about behaviors, specifically how men react to certain pictures.

I don't find ot degrading in the least. Yes, to me the tree pic was innocent. But like I said, I'm not naive and the comments were very tame, complementary, and I'm flattered. Nothing vulgar was said.

As for the single bar comment, hey, we had a good debate. I'm all for that. I posted a picture of me climbing a tree getting a micro. If you look at my gallery you'll see many pictures of my caching adventures.

This isn't work and it is nice to have some fun. Keeps things light and in perspective. There are much worse things to be called than a hottie. I don't get upset over trivial things often.

Although, I still didn't get that gift PM. That's very offensive. Lol.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

ASH MCCLOUD

You must be your HR director's favorite in the office <_<

I didn't go to the gutter...this thread brought the gutter to geocaching.com's forum.

(knowschad, there's some OT fodder...)

It's all in good fun. If you see anything you consider lewd or offensive you should report the post to a moderator. I'm not going to edit my posts because I don't think they're offensive. I certainly think saying we brought the gutter to geocaching.com is going too far.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

The comments are directed at me, so no reason for you to be offended.

Completely untrue in the context of sexual harassment and inappropriate content on the forum.

It doesn't have to be something directed at me to be offensive or inappropriate. I may not speak for you, or others that see no problem with the quotes above, but that does not make my sensibilities about this subject any more or less "wrong".

Completely untrue in the context of sexual harassment and inappropriate content on the forum.

It doesn't have to be something directed at me to be offensive or inappropriate. I may not speak for you, or others that see no problem with the quotes above, but that does not make my sensibilities about this subject any more or less "wrong".

Sexual harrassment?

If you think that is what has transpired you should hit the report button and let the mods deal with it.

But I haven't seen anything rising to that level.

There was no sexual harassment or inappropriate content regarding her picture. Not every joke is offensive. If she gives even a hint that we've gone too far I will be the first to ask a Moderator to delete every post. Since it seems to trip some psychological trigger with you I will not post it again, but you should really investigate why other people's harmless fun upsets you.

There was no sexual harassment in any of the posts. I have dealt with sexual harassment at work a long time ago, and nothing said here comes even close. Harassment would be if I asked them to stop or told them I'm not comfortable. Or if I deleted the pic to stop the comments and they continued.

This is a forum. Not a work place. What a why to make a fun and informative thread a real bummer.

Sexual harrassment?

If you think that is what has transpired you should hit the report button and let the mods deal with it.

I did report it to the mods, because a female (co-worker who was showing interest in the game) sitting next to me stated she'd never register on the forum with people like 'that' on here. Since I reported it about 24 hours ago and no action has been taken, I assume the mod's sided with you. But it did get reported.

Sexual harrassment?

I did report it to the mods, because a female (co-worker who was showing interest in the game) sitting next to me stated she'd never register on the forum with people like 'that' on here. Since I reported it about 24 hours ago and no action has been taken, I assume the mod's sided with you. But it did get reported.

You honestly think that the male members here would randomly make comments to any female poster/cacher? Have you EVER seen that happen here? You and your female friend are making huge assumptions. She must be offended quite a bit and/or live a very sheltered life. Being called hot isn't offensive. Wow.

This is just getting ridiculous.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I buy the premium membership but I won't tell anyone else who is on a tight budget how they should spend their money. When I was in college I couldn't afford anything and my classmates who relied heavily on credit cards insisted we hold class out at eateries every single week meaning we all had to sit there and buy stuff. Nothing sucked more than being told "well you do this so you should do this with your money instead." It's my budget and my money.

I don't recall anyone saying what anyone else should do. Some folks saying "I can't afford it" sparked a conversation about 'Yes you can, you just choose not to'. That's quite different than saying someone should buy a PM.

The only time I suggest that someone should buy a PM is when they believe that they should get PM benefits for free or suggest that hiding PM-only caches is somehow elitist or exclusionary.

Edit to add: Bummer about your college experience. When I was the administrator of our campus tutoring program I made sure we met at a church or business which donated the use of a room so that no one felt obliged to spend money, as none of us had any! Today with geocaching I approach it differently and frequently host events at restaurants using the same logic I have expressed in this thread... if you can come up with the money to buy a GPS and hunt caches you can come up with enough money to buy a glass of tea and visit with your friends. I often don't have money for a meal at events I host or attend but I can always come up with a buck for a glass of tea or cup of coffee!

My college situation sucked. I lived and worked an hour away from where I went to college and grad school. Undergrad wasn't as much of a problem. But grad school was where these meals and extra trips down there took place. I wasn't one to do the credit card or a ton of extra loans thing for college. I wouldn't have minded much either if we went somewhere where I could have a bagel but it was always the same ultra expensive trendy place that they could find there. I even brought up in class and such about not being able to do that but nope.

As for events now, we don't have many here in general. I did a pot luck the last time mostly because of the variety of dietary preferences people have. I like more informal get togethers too.

Anyhow, Knowschad, I wish I could just go and get local pears but yes the price is amazing. but pears in general are amazing too lol

I don't know what benefits people are upset about not getting when they're basic members. The handful of PMO caches? there's plenty of other ones out there. The site is usable without a premium membership. I'm impressed this didn't devolve into calling basic members leeches as these threads typically do. There's plenty of ways to support the business. this is just one way.

There was no sexual harassment or inappropriate content regarding her picture. Not every joke is offensive. If she gives even a hint that we've gone too far I will be the first to ask a Moderator to delete every post. Since it seems to trip some psychological trigger with you I will not post it again, but you should really investigate why other people's harmless fun upsets you.

That post really got me excited!!!!

Thanks, big guy!!! Love the avatar!!!

I thought making PQs was a PM only benefit? That's what I would miss.

Off Topic is the only reason I renewed. With the android app I don't miss pq's any more. The notifications were nice, but I live in an area where few caches are hidden and I'm not into FTF anyway so I didn't really miss that.

Really, if someone wearing a blue bow had not talked me into it, I would probably still be basic.

I thought making PQs was a PM only benefit? That's what I would miss.

Off Topic is the only reason I renewed. With the android app I don't miss pq's any more. The notifications were nice, but I live in an area where few caches are hidden and I'm not into FTF anyway so I didn't really miss that.

Really, if someone wearing a blue bow had not talked me into it, I would probably still be basic.

Off Topic? What is that?

I do have an Android app and it is awesome! However, I use my GPS mostly because I do hiking, Kayaking and a lot of high terrain caches. I don't know of any way to load 2000 geocaches onto my GPS besides doing a PQ.

I don't get notifications anymore because I found I'm usually at work when I'm notified. Seeing PMO caches is nice, but I really think the Cache Owner is missing out by making their caches PMO. As a basic member I'll still be writing my good logs, taking pictures and favoring caches. They just excluded a good cacher. :)

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

:blink:

That's OK, I'd never want to get hired into a workplace with people like 'that' there. :laughing:

Edited by DanOCan