Premium membership snobbery

Drive faster.

You have to drive slower, and accelerate evenly to get better gas mileage.

In any case, I did reduce my driving significantly. You can see in my stats that I recently went 34 days (around that) without caching, for this very reason. I drive to work and home. I did have to drive a long distance to visit family last week.

I'm not making excuses for people who complain about Premium Membership. Having a PM has a ton of awesome benefits! I don't even care if COs make their caches PMO. That's not in my control. Besides, they are missing out on my pictures and good logs. :) There's plenty of non PM caches.

I'm just trying to say that not everyone can afford one. I am budgeted so closely that I simply cannot. And I'm smart enough to accept that. It seems like a small cost, and is IS. However all those small costs add up and it's best to live within your needs.

Making light of someones financial situation isn't necessary, nor is lecturing them about how they could afford it or telling them to stop whining. Life gets pretty sad when you're just trying to survive. Caching is a nice escape from that, and is mostly free.

I have detailed spreadsheet of all my expenses and outgoing. It's just a fact that you have to make cuts in your wants here and there to get by sometimes. I'm confident no one can look at my finances and find any wiggle room. I'm great with money!

Geocaching is great because it IS free. I do support Premium Membership to help the cost of the site. I just get annoyed at the condescending remarks made here about being cheap.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

And some of us get tired of all the whining by folks that have decided that they don't want to spend the $30 a year. It would be simple to choose to do without some other entertainment budget item, but that is not the choice some have made. We don't go to movies. We seldom go out to dinner any more. We get more entertainment bang for our buck out of the $30 PM. If we decide that we want to spend that $30 some other way we certainly won't complain about not getting what we aren't paying for. And to be honest, if you don't have more than $30 dollars a year in your budget for entertainment you really should be more concerned about that than geocaching.

I agree that the repetitive threads do get exhausting! I've seem many of these before. And believe me, I have concerns much greater than having a geocaching PM. However, sitting and being "concerned" doesn't really help the situation, I've found. I have never complained about it though, because is isn't a big deal.

I would be bummed if using the site included costs, but it doesn't! So really it is free.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

It's human nature, really. I have close relatives who have agonized (and dragged the rest of the family into it) over any purchase from PC's to big screen TV's to home insurance. These are people who can well afford any of the aforementioned but hey, if they can save a penny....

Giving away their core product and charging for extra benefits seems to be working well for Groundspeak. Being able to use the site to fully experience the game for free seems to be working well for geocachers. Free basic membership having access to the vast majority of caches seems to work well for everyone. Being able to get extra benefits for buying a Premium membership appears to work well for those who choose to do so. Groundspeak even leaves a method for free members to log PM caches open, and that appears to work for folks who choose not to buy a PM.

What's broken that needs fixing?

This whole 'can't afford it' argument would go away if folks would just admit that they choose not to put a premium membership high on their priority list.

Extremely few folks can't afford $30/year but quite a lot choose not to buy a PM because they would rather put that money somewhere else. Admitting that they choose not to buy a PM rather than stating that they can't afford it takes the whole 'elitist snobbery' thing out of the picture, as it's no longer a financial ability issue but rather a personal priority one.

The most destitute homeless guy on the street can raise $30/year, so that 'I can't afford it' argument will always draw fire. Just say 'It's not important enough to me to pay for' and no one can argue with that...unless you complain about not getting premium benefits!

I agree with all your points except the affordability. A homeless man may be able to raise the funds, but he would need to spend it on food. That's a necessity.

I guess you are right though. I choose to buy food (which is a flexible bill) pay rent, pay bills with due dates rather than on entertainment. When you see it as either you eat, or have the ability to find a PM, it doesn't really feel like a choice.

I don't agree with the OP. I don't see PMO caches as snobery at all. As discussed in another thread, most cachers are middle class and have no problem affording the PM fee. Just not all

I agree with all your points except the affordability. A homeless man may be able to raise the funds, but he would need to spend it on food. That's a necessity.

I guess you are right though. I choose to buy food (which is a flexible bill) pay rent, pay bills with due dates rather than on entertainment. When you see it as either you eat, or have the ability to find a PM, it doesn't really feel like a choice.

I don't agree with the OP. I don't see PMO caches as snobery at all. As discussed in another thread, most cachers are middle class and have no problem affording the PM fee. Just not all

Of course it's about choice, not affordability. You could stand outside the door of your local grocery store with a cup in your hand for a few hours and raise $30 in donations, if a PM was that important to you, but it's not (nor should it be). Still, since you can raise the money but choose not to it is a choice, not that you can't afford it.

You appear to be an able-bodied woman who could push a lawn mower around someone's yard to earn $30 once a year if a PM was that important to you. It's not, so you choose not to do that (I wouldn't either!).

You have chosen to spend your money to find 528 caches and to hide 20. At least one pic in your gallery shows you finding caches many hundreds of miles from home in PA, so you apparently have travel money in your budget. Was it a decision not to eat so you could go to PA?

You are not making the choice between food and a PM, you are making the choice to spend money to find and hide caches using your free membership rather than to buy a PM. If a PM were important to you skipping finding just a few caches and putting what you would have spent to find them would save the $30 you need for a PM. I'm not suggesting that a PM should be so valuable that you give up finding caches for a bit to save money for it, just pointing out that the 'can't afford it' bit is a canard.

I totally support your choice not to buy a PM right up to the point where you say it's not a choice and frame your argument as 'food or a PM' when that is not the case at all.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Finally one question, how does the geocoin/bug thing etc work in regards to PMO.Again the ethos in this activity was to trust the people get help to bug/coin along its journey...If it gets moved to a PMO cache can BM get access to it. Its a lgit question i could look it up but while i am posting to a billion replies i thought i would ask

Yes, any one (PM/BM) can move any TB/coin they find.

:laughing: ...you said "BM"!

So did you ... :anitongue:

But then what's wrong with benchmarks? :rolleyes:

Drive faster.

I think you missed the joke. :huh:

Making light of someones financial situation isn't necessary, nor is lecturing them about how they could afford it or telling them to stop whining. Life gets pretty sad when you're just trying to survive. Caching is a nice escape from that, and is mostly free.

Geocaching is great because it IS free. I do support Premium Membership to help the cost of the site. I just get annoyed at the condescending remarks made here about being cheap.

The condescending remarks were those that called others snobs and elitists for being able to afford $30 a year on a membership. The others were simply responses to that attitude.

@TheAlabamaRambler,

That makes sense, what you wrote about choices, and you're right. It is a choice. A wise one for me. So I'll have to agree with you. I'll leave this thread as I don't want to continuing discussing costs. You don't know my reasons or circumstances for going to PA. They were not pleasant, did not end up pleasant but I did get a few caches there. And that's why I absolutely love geocaching! It is important in my life, and I'm glad the site is available to all! I don't think anyone is a snob, and I'll continue caching as a PM or BM. No giggling at BM.

Have a good one, Bama. :) Peace out!

Drive faster.

The condescending remarks were those that called others snobs and elitists for being able to afford $30 a year on a membership. The others were simply responses to that attitude.

On the grand scheme of things, if you're a geocacher and you're here using this site and here in these forums, and you say you can't afford premium membership because of your financial situation, I believe your priorities are out of whack.. or, you just may be cheap.

Drive faster.

Whoops. I miss jokes often! I still don't get it but will lol anyway!

Drive faster.

On the grand scheme of things, if you're a geocacher and you're here using this site and here in these forums, and you say you can't afford premium membership because of your financial situation, I believe your priorities are out of whack.. or, you just may be cheap.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll take it into consideration. Have a good one.

@TheAlabamaRambler,

That makes sense, what you wrote about choices, and you're right. It is a choice. A wise one for me. So I'll have to agree with you. I'll leave this thread as I don't want to continuing discussing costs. You don't know my reasons or circumstances for going to PA. They were not pleasant, did not end up pleasant but I did get a few caches there. And that's why I absolutely love geocaching! It is important in my life, and I'm glad the site is available to all! I don't think anyone is a snob, and I'll continue caching as a PM or BM. No giggling at BM.

Have a good one, Bama. :) Peace out!

Oops, that's the problem with public discussion forums, it's hard to keep from personalizing it. I did use your situation and posts to make a case about affordability vs. choice but it was not aimed at you personally, it was intended as a discussion of the larger topic.

Sorry if the way I went about it hurt your feelings or seemed like a personal attack, it wasn't meant to be that way at all.

The most destitute homeless guy on the street can raise $30/year, so that 'I can't afford it' argument will always draw fire. Just say 'It's not important enough to me to pay for' and no one can argue with that...unless you complain about not getting premium benefits!

Just takes a little creativity. Here's how I do it:

0a190f3e-3034-4af1-872a-17aebe79c1b7.jpg

No, no. You're fine and I appreciate hearing others points of views. It's a good way to learn. Yes, the thread is getting too personal for me. Definitely no hard feelings, and I enjoy your posts in this, and other, threads. I just cannot add any more here that is constructive. I've said all I can from my experiences.

I do see, and agree, with what you said about choice. You are totally right. I could cut a lawn or similar if it was important enough to me.

I like discussing and debating alot! I just know I'm sensitive to some things, so need to end discussion when it's too personal or painful.

Besides, I have a month left as a PM and I intend to load up my GPS with 2000 PM caches one last time! Lol

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I doubt it. There is a hider in my town that makes many of his caches PMO. Probably there aren't 2000 in Florida. Isn't creating a PQ for PMs only? That's really why I'm going to load up my GPS soon. And it has a memory card so I think it'll hold more than 2000. Then I'm set for years!

I know there are >1000 in AZ. I did a quick PQ and bumped up against the query limit. I could've made multiple queries with date range restrictions to get the accurate count - but I didn't. :)

This whole 'can't afford it' argument would go away if folks would just admit that they choose not to put a premium membership high on their priority list.

+1 It's definately more of a 'not of a priority' than a 'can't'. One of my pet peeves if people who complain they're broke and expect sympathy. When I need more money, I work more.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Just takes a little creativity. Here's how I do it:

0a190f3e-3034-4af1-872a-17aebe79c1b7.jpg

:laughing:

I doubt it. There is a hider in my town that makes many of his caches PMO. Probably there aren't 2000 in Florida. Isn't creating a PQ for PMs only? That's really why I'm going to load up my GPS soon. And it has a memory card so I think it'll hold more than 2000. Then I'm set for years!

With pictures of you climbing trees hanging around here in the forums you just might get yourself a PM gifted to you soon. Have any other pictures.. wait, that crossed the line. Scratch that last one. :laughing:

Drive faster.

Or Id rather pay for dog and cat food/litter this month.

When I get 30 bucks I will renew my membership. Because one cant afford it right away doesnt mean my priorities are out of whack or that I am cheap. And im not expecting any sympathy. Just how it is this month.

What costs more than a yearly premium membership? Let's see:

1. a pack of cigarettes per month

I don't smoke

2. a single date-night during the year

I'm married

Me too, but we do have date night once or twice a year

3. the cost of gas to drive to caches

Within budget

4. your GPS unit

A mod on here gave me one free of charge!

5. 2 donuts per month at Krispy Kreme donuts

I'm vegan, no Krispy Kremes

From my experience, vegan diet is quite costly

6. interest on typical credit card debt

In budget, not in use

7. a year's worth of lottery tickets (which are said by many to be a tax on people who don't understand math)

I understand math

8. that extra sweater you bought but never wear

Sweater? In Florida?

9. HBO for only 2 months

Digital converter box, free.

Don't admit you are stealing cable

10. Leaving on a single light bulb for 3 months (est energy cost = 1.6 cents per hour)

No lamps in this house! I'm green!

So you always go to bed by sundown? You live in florida, when is sundown down there? 1900h?

I can haz PM now? :)

Drive faster.

In any case, I did reduce my driving significantly. You can see in my stats that I recently went 34 days (around that) without caching, for this very reason. I drive to work and home. I did have to drive a long distance to visit family last week.

I'm not making excuses for people who complain about Premium Membership. Having a PM has a ton of awesome benefits! I don't even care if COs make their caches PMO. That's not in my control. Besides, they are missing out on my pictures and good logs. :) There's plenty of non PM caches.

I'm just trying to say that not everyone can afford one. I am budgeted so closely that I simply cannot. And I'm smart enough to accept that. It seems like a small cost, and is IS. However all those small costs add up and it's best to live within your needs.

I have detailed spreadsheet of all my expenses and outgoing. It's just a fact that you have to make cuts in your wants here and there to get by sometimes. I'm confident no one can look at my finances and find any wiggle room. I'm great with money!

I think that all of us are on some sort of budget. The thing is, I don't log on to the local country clubs web site and call them all a bunch of snobs because they won't let me play their course for free. Maybe I should just drive down to the marina and demand that some rich guy take me on a voyage on his yacht.

I understand that not everyone can afford a premium membership. I renewed mine just a few weeks ago and it was especially hard to budget it in this year. When people can't or won't buy a PM and then come here and call me an elitist snob because I managed to scrimp enough together for mine, I am offended. I've spent most of my life hovering around the lower rungs of the ladder, yet I have never looked at those above me as snobs and I have certainly never looked down on those that have less than me.

Drive faster.

I think that all of us are on some sort of budget. The thing is, I don't log on to the local country clubs web site and call them all a bunch of snobs because they won't let me play their course for free. Maybe I should just drive down to the marina and demand that some rich guy take me on a voyage on his yacht.

I understand that not everyone can afford a premium membership. I renewed mine just a few weeks ago and it was especially hard to budget it in this year. When people can't or won't buy a PM and then come here and call me an elitist snob because I managed to scrimp enough together for mine, I am offended. I've spent most of my life hovering around the lower rungs of the ladder, yet I have never looked at those above me as snobs and I have certainly never looked down on those that have less than me.

I understand. I'm not sure why you quoted me as I haven't called anyone a snob, elitist or any other name.

What costs more than a yearly premium membership? Let's see:

1. a pack of cigarettes per month

I don't smoke

2. a single date-night during the year

I'm married

Me too, but we do have date night once or twice a year

3. the cost of gas to drive to caches

Within budget

4. your GPS unit

A mod on here gave me one free of charge!

5. 2 donuts per month at Krispy Kreme donuts

I'm vegan, no Krispy Kremes

From my experience, vegan diet is quite costly

6. interest on typical credit card debt

In budget, not in use

7. a year's worth of lottery tickets (which are said by many to be a tax on people who don't understand math)

I understand math

8. that extra sweater you bought but never wear

Sweater? In Florida?

9. HBO for only 2 months

Digital converter box, free.

Don't admit you are stealing cable

10. Leaving on a single light bulb for 3 months (est energy cost = 1.6 cents per hour)

No lamps in this house! I'm green!

So you always go to bed by sundown? You live in florida, when is sundown down there? 1900h?

I can haz PM now? :)

In bed by 8PM, unless I work til 930PM. It's more that I just don't like lights on inside at night. Not really to save money. I just don't have a lamp because when it's dark, it's dark.

As for date night, I'm not sure I've ever been on a date with my Hubby. We've been married 13 years.

You are right about vegan food. Is is super expensive. I try to eat foods that are naturally vegan, and inexpensive. Like pasta etc. Even so, my choice of diet (vegan and healthy) is number one priority to me. Very important. Which is where my money goes, and why I'm so skinny. Ha. I figure I'll save on health care costs down the road!

A digital converter box isn't cable. It's a box that we got free vouchers for when TV signals went from analog to digital. So, basic channels.

Ok, now I'm out. Too many personal things are being talked about! Awkward! :)

I have other circumstances that I don't want to discuss, so I'm going to not reply any more. It's been a good thread and talk, thanks!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

With pictures of you climbing trees hanging around here in the forums you just might get yourself a PM gifted to you soon. Have any other pictures.. wait, that crossed the line. Scratch that last one. :laughing:

:) hmm. Picture taking is hard work just like cutting a lawn...

Is my picture titled, "Wading Required" enough for the free PM? ;)

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

:) hmm. Picture taking is hard work just like cutting a lawn...

Is my picture titled, "Wading Required" enough for the free PM? ;)

I thought you were not going to reply any more :laughing:

I went for 1.5 years without a PM, and did just fine. If you don't have a smartphone app*, lossing PQs will really suck.. :sad:

*smartphone app in this context means either official or webscraping (or using the API once it is available to BM). PQ based smartphone apps will not help a BM.

Honest to goodness I wish the whole what costs more than a premium membership and responses were its own thread in off topic or something.

Anyhow, I can totally empathize with a bunch of items on that list. When I date I typically don't pay for my dates if I'm the one being asked out. I offer (as it's the polite thing to do) but most people here who do the asking are much to traditional to go dutch.

Don't use credit cards either (live within my means). Don't do the coffee shop or the donut shop. I wear my same hoodie year round until it falls apart even when it's -40 degrees F out side.

No cable here either.

And the lightbulb one I laughed most about because I don't use my lights for the most part. When it gets dark it gets dark and I'm in the dark. If I need some light I light up a candle. But I don't like to sit in the light much. I enjoy sitting in the dark more. I sit in light all day long.

I buy the premium membership but I won't tell anyone else who is on a tight budget how they should spend their money. When I was in college I couldn't afford anything and my classmates who relied heavily on credit cards insisted we hold class out at eateries every single week meaning we all had to sit there and buy stuff. Nothing sucked more than being told "well you do this so you should do this with your money instead." It's my budget and my money.

I buy the premium membership but I won't tell anyone else who is on a tight budget how they should spend their money. When I was in college I couldn't afford anything and my classmates who relied heavily on credit cards insisted we hold class out at eateries every single week meaning we all had to sit there and buy stuff. Nothing sucked more than being told "well you do this so you should do this with your money instead." It's my budget and my money.

I don't recall anyone saying what anyone else should do. Some folks saying "I can't afford it" sparked a conversation about 'Yes you can, you just choose not to'. That's quite different than saying someone should buy a PM.

The only time I suggest that someone should buy a PM is when they believe that they should get PM benefits for free or suggest that hiding PM-only caches is somehow elitist or exclusionary.

Edit to add: Bummer about your college experience. When I was the administrator of our campus tutoring program I made sure we met at a church or business which donated the use of a room so that no one felt obliged to spend money, as none of us had any! Today with geocaching I approach it differently and frequently host events at restaurants using the same logic I have expressed in this thread... if you can come up with the money to buy a GPS and hunt caches you can come up with enough money to buy a glass of tea and visit with your friends. I often don't have money for a meal at events I host or attend but I can always come up with a buck for a glass of tea or cup of coffee!

I don't recall anyone saying what anyone else should do. Some folks saying "I can't afford it" sparked a conversation about 'Yes you can, you just choose not to'.

Good point. It's all about priorities.

For a long time, I thought that I couldn't afford flying lessons. Then I found myself spending a couple of Saturdays at a tiny country airport (for reasons that had nothing to do with me taking flying lessons). I saw a whole bunch of people who were out there learning to fly, because they wanted it badly enough to make it a priority.

I realized that if I wanted it badly enough, I could take flying lessons. I even went so far as to take a couple of lessons, before deciding that I had other priorities and didn't really want it badly enough!

Anyone who has the resources to buy a smartphone or a GPS, and who has an Internet connection and a computer, obviously COULD afford to buy a PM. If they choose not to do so, that's fine. But they should recognize that they are making a choice.

Honest to goodness I wish the whole what costs more than a premium membership and responses were its own thread in off topic or something.

Have you seen the price of pears recently? Wow!!

But you also probably did not call them elitist snobs. That is what got this ball rolling.

Anyone who has the resources to buy a smartphone or a GPS, and who has an Internet connection and a computer, obviously COULD afford to buy a PM.

I agree with most of your post but to me the logic in the quote above is flawed.

Having items I may have purchased in less lean times does not mean I could afford to make those same purchases today. I may have bought a laptop last year but it could be now I have to trudge down to a wi-fi hotspot for internet. I may have started a two year contract for my smartphone last year but the early termination fees could make it impractical to downgrade to a basic phone until the service agreement is expired.

There was a time earlier this year where I had all the items on your list but I could not afford to renew my PM. There simply was not an extra $30 in my spending account at the time my renewal was due. So sometimes things are not so obvious.

The only reason to buy a premium membership is if it benefits you.

Being a premium member doesn't make anyone better than a basic member.

Being a basic member doesn't make you a leech.

It may be difficult for someone to justify $30 this month when they have insurance due and a busted refrigerator that needs replacing. There are a lot of reasons why someone might not be able to afford a premium right now. But it is still a choice. Everyone can buy a premium if its high enough on there priority list.

But premium membership does not make someone a snob. I think anyone acting snobbish would be that way regardless of their level of membership here.

On the off chance of upsetting the geocaching community and on the off chance of repeating other posts i do not understand the snobbery of geocachers making their caches for premium members only....

Yes, i agree with premium membership but it should be up to the geocaching.com to supply a worthy service that premium membership gives (which i am certainly it does) and not up to other geocachers to enforce premium elitism.

For all those elitist snobs who only allow premium members to view their caches please feel free to attempt to think about possibly the financial situations that many non premium members may be facing possibly with a distinct lack of disposable income to afford membership.

There may be other members who have many family members all who have their own accounts but alas they ALL cannot get premium memberships.

Yes if you can afford membership then yes why not ...get it, but come on now you snobs do not kill the joy of geocaching because you can afford things others can not

Are you serious?

Oh for Pete's sake! If anyone needs the money, come mow my lawn and trim the edges and I'll give you 30 bucks (only one person each week). :rolleyes:

That is condescending.

I think it's a combination of humor and frustration. Just as non premium members *may* become frustrated about PMO caches, premium members *may* become frustrated by non premium members complaining about $30 or PMO caches.

That and it may be a bit condescending. ;)

Oh for Pete's sake! If anyone needs the money, come mow my lawn and trim the edges and I'll give you 30 bucks (only one person each week). :rolleyes:

That is condescending.

Now we're condescending elitist snobs! What other names can you come up with for folks who choose to pay for extra benefits? :blink:

Oh...forgot one...based on the popularity of a recent picture we're sexist condescending elitist snobs.

Good point. I paid some kid who had rented an aerator $40 to do my (small) lawn. You could make enough money to buy your PM, a new GPS, and laptop in an afternoon doing that...

But who wants to do that when you could be finding LPCs right?

That is condescending.

Why? I offered to pay your membership for a service. That is how life works. You mow my lawn. You EARN 30 bucks. Of course, I'll give you the membership here so I know you will not squander the 30 bucks on junk. :lol: