Premium membership snobbery

On the off chance of upsetting the geocaching community and on the off chance of repeating other posts i do not understand the snobbery of geocachers making their caches for premium members only....

Yes, i agree with premium membership but it should be up to the geocaching.com to supply a worthy service that premium membership gives (which i am certainly it does) and not up to other geocachers to enforce premium elitism.

For all those elitist snobs who only allow premium members to view their caches please feel free to attempt to think about possibly the financial situations that many non premium members may be facing possibly with a distinct lack of disposable income to afford membership.

There may be other members who have many family members all who have their own accounts but alas they ALL cannot get premium memberships.

Yes if you can afford membership then yes why not ...get it, but come on now you snobs do not kill the joy of geocaching because you can afford things others can not

I was a PM. I cant afford it right now. It hardly kills the joy of caching for me. There are plenty of other caches to find in my area.

And im pretty sure calling people snobs isnt the best plan to get some proactive conversation going.

Edited by MisterEFQ

One of my challenges requires you to make a pocket query (well, at least what I had to say, in reality, there are many ways you can prove it with GSAK) so I had to make it premium only.

My only other premium cache that I can think of is between two houses so I use PMO in theory to not let brand new cachers go there.

On the off chance of upsetting the geocaching community and on the off chance of repeating other posts i do not understand the snobbery of geocachers making their caches for premium members only....

Yes, i agree with premium membership but it should be up to the geocaching.com to supply a worthy service that premium membership gives (which i am certainly it does) and not up to other geocachers to enforce premium elitism.

For all those elitist snobs who only allow premium members to view their caches please feel free to attempt to think about possibly the financial situations that many non premium members may be facing possibly with a distinct lack of disposable income to afford membership.

There may be other members who have many family members all who have their own accounts but alas they ALL cannot get premium memberships.

Yes if you can afford membership then yes why not ...get it, but come on now you snobs do not kill the joy of geocaching because you can afford things others can not

You might like to read the Forum Guidelines before you continue to spread insults willy-nilly.

I think if you had done a search of the forums for "elitist" and/or "snobs", you would have been able to find the other threads that posited this entitlement attitude, and you could have just added your thoughts to the most recent one.

It's not like starting a new thread about it will result in different replies than have already been posted.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You might like to read the Forum Guidelines before you continue to spread insults willy-nilly.

I think if you had done a search of the forums for "elitist" and/or "snobs", you would have been able to find the other threads that posited this entitlement attitude, and you could have just added your thoughts to the most recent one.

It's not like starting a new thread about it will result in different replies than have already been posted.

Good answer, Pup Patrol. I thought we had put this topic to bed a long time ago, only to see it emerge again.

I'm building, by hand, a bunch of caches I plan on putting out soon. Water proofing them now. They will all be premium only due to less likelyhood of being stolen. No snobbery about it. I don't want some kid to steal them to put on their bedroom shelf. You got a phone? A payment plan? But you can't afford 30 bucks? How are you viewing this forum? Do you not have $30 or do you have it but just prefer to squander it on other things?

Excellent introductory post the international geocaching forum.

I hope you stick around and become a regular poster. It will keep PMO cach owners like me and pretty much everyone else entertained.

FWIW I have been caching since 2003 and only recently started placing PMO caches. I like 'em.

sneetches.jpg

WINNING! :anitongue::anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Now, the Star-Bellied Sneetches (Premium Members) had bellies with stars. B)

The Plain-Bellied Sneetches (Hoi Polloi & Cell Phone Riffraff) had none upon thars. :anibad::laughing:

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches

Would brag, “We’re the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.”

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they’d snort

“We’ll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!”

And, whenever they met some, when they were out walking,

They’d hike right on past them without even talking.

sneetches.jpg

/snip/ ...snobbery of .../snip/

/snip/ ...elitism... /snip/

/snip/ ...elitist snobs... /snip/

/snip/ ...you snobs... /snip/

I get the impression you're more interested in name calling than having a meaningful dialog on the subject.

When you feel you've vented sufficiently, I suggest you read the other threads on premium caches and why people use them.

May I presume that you have walked to all of the caches that you have found, and that you use a GPS receiver that was given to you, powered by donated batteries? That you are using the computers and internet at your local public library?

Come on... you can't find a way to budget a dime a day?

Membership has its privilages..

Could you at least have done us the courtesy of a rudimentary forum search before you posted this screed?

With less than a minute's worth of effort I was able to find this similar rant originally posted in February of this year and most recently replied to this month!!

Disclaimer: Bolding and increasing font size of a portion of the OP's post are my doing for emphasis.

Could you at least have done us the courtesy of a rudimentary forum search before you posted this screed?

With less than a minute's worth of effort I was able to find this similar rant originally posted in February of this year and most recently replied to this month!!

Disclaimer: Bolding and increasing font size of a portion of the OP's post are my doing for emphasis.

Oh, come on now... how long has it been since we've had an angsty thread started like this one? Give the guy a break and be grateful for the entertainment.

The purpose of creating two classes is so that one can look down on the other. Why have premium caches for the elite if the proletariat are allowed. You just don't understand human nature yet. Maybe when you mature a little you will understand and be able to communicate your feelings in a civilized manner.

Wow. having a bad day today or what?

Well I hope you feel better now that you've taken it out on us.

Try going out and geocaching to relieve the stress next time. Much easier on us.

After you've run out of non-premium member caches to find, come back and report to us on whether you, at that point, feel supporting Groundspeak alone is worth the cost of the membership.

Remind of us this thread though. Since you're only at 31 finds and your area is very saturated with non-premium member caches it is going to be a very long time before you run out.

(IBTL)

On the off chance of upsetting the geocaching community, wah, wah, wah, I'm too cheap to pay $30 a year, even though I, or the person who pays my bills, can apparently afford Internet access, a GPS receiver, and, at least according to my caching history, air fare from the United Kingdom to La Grange, Georgia.

Fixed it for you.

edit: perhaps more rollo and less bluster next time :lol:

Edited by hzoi

Oh, come on now... how long has it been since we've had an angsty thread started like this one? Give the guy a break and be grateful for the entertainment.

This is true. It is quite a refreshing break from all that NICENESS we've been enduring.

(we won't tell this guy that this posting sent out a group of cachers to surround his house in member-only caches)

There have been stories that people have sent cheques to GS via mail and gotten a premium membership, so OP, you might be able to do that too if you don't have a credit card and want a PM. Or you could get a prepaid card from a store and use that. However those come with some extra fee.

OK, I will try to give you a serious answer, not that I expect that you will really listen, but maybe you will surprise me:

I don't know if I have any PMO caches out anymore, but I did at one point, after having some caches muggled. Making them PMO makes it tougher for someone that wants to do harm to caches to get the coordinates. Not impossible, but harder. It also provides an audit log showing who looked at the cache page, but honestly, I have found that to be worthless.

Some people put their caches out as PMO to help pay for the web site that lists them, knowing that without that web site, their caches would be awefully lonely.

Maybe some people put their caches out as PMO because they are elitist snobs, but I don't know any.

If all cachers who are not premium member came in and wrote this garbage, it would make me very happy to make all caches premium. Next time look in the forums and ask a question before coming in here and looking like a total Moron. Buying a membership for 30.00 is not the same thing as being a member of a country club where only Lords and Barons can be members.

By the way I notice you have never hidden a cache. So maybe you would like to hide one first. You might also like to encourage others to hide them.

Edited by Ash McCloud

When looking at the map of where you've found some caches, I only see about 5 PMO hides. Doesn't look like you're missing much.

I also looked at the map around some of his/her? finds. If you scroll south there is hundreds of PMO caches. I can see some of his frustrations. A lot of the PMO caches could very easily be regular member caches. Several inside of parks, etc......

I can understand a PMO cache for something special or on your own property. But looking at that map there is definitely an over abundance of PMO caches. There is still a ton of regular caches also.

Just my $.02 worth............

When looking at the map of where you've found some caches, I only see about 5 PMO hides. Doesn't look like you're missing much.

I also looked at the map around some of his/her? finds. If you scroll south there is hundreds of PMO caches. I can see some of his frustrations. A lot of the PMO caches could very easily be regular member caches. Several inside of parks, etc......

I can understand a PMO cache for something special or on your own property. But looking at that map there is definitely an over abundance of PMO caches. There is still a ton of regular caches also.

Just my $.02 worth............

A couple of years ago, and again last summer, the UK midlands suffered quite a lot of deliberately trashed caches. There's no point in going into all the details here but, in response to the actions of this so called "environmental protection group", many geocachers decided to make their caches PM only.

MrsB

You found a cache in the US of A when you live in the united kingdom. You have MUCH more disposable income then me, my family can't even afford to travel via airplane to another state 300 miles away (A 3,000 mile state on the other side of the country is unthinkable), let alone travel to 5,000+ miles all the way to another country! $30 a year is a drop in the bucket compared to the couple thousands it costs to visit another country for even two days.

You have it all wrong, buddy. The only snobbery is among the Platinum Members because it is invite only. I suppose you cannot wrap your mind around the fact that Platinum members are much more intelligent than the lowly Premium peon members. I think you should be more humble when you enter the Great Palace of the Emerald Frog and not treat this forum like a hit and run accident. :rolleyes:

You found a cache in the US of A when you live in the united kingdom. You have MUCH more disposable income then me, my family can't even afford to travel via airplane to another state 300 miles away (A 3,000 mile state on the other side of the country is unthinkable), let alone travel to 5,000+ miles all the way to another country! $30 a year is a drop in the bucket compared to the couple thousands it costs to visit another country for even two days.

My husband has found caches all over the place (we share a caching name) but our family are no better off than yours for travel, Coldgears, and what he does because of work doesn't mean we have a large disposable income as private individuals. You can't really assess someone's wealth that way.

Equally if you don't understand why geocachers make premium member caches, rollobluster, don't jump to the conclusion that it is snobbery. Usually it is just the opposite, it means geocachers want to ensure the cache is there for other geocachers to find when they go to the trouble of looking for it, and they don't want it to get trashed 9again) by people who are just out to destroy something.

I can understand how you feel about the cost of premium membership for all the different members of the family, and quite honestly we can't afford to do that. It works fine to cache as a family under one name for now, and I am looking for a way to earn some money to pay for what I spend on caching.

Making & selling lemonade, yard sales, craft ideas, and so on can involve the whole family and be a fun thing to do together.

Edited by Fianccetto

I think I'll go out and hide a PMO cache in your honor.

I'll give this oh so pleasant poster one little benefit of the doubt. Seeing as how we're on a budget, I can understand feeling that you'd rather spend $30 on needs instead of wants. However, as a good friend & caching buddy pointed out, there is always the $10 for 3 months option; even I can afford that. Why not pop for $10, get a PM, and be blissfully happy for at least 3 months? You will then become one of the elitist snobs and can go after all of those caches that promote elitism and snobbery.

Happy hunting! :D

I went to a PMO cache the other day that was a monument placed in the spot where the CO's son was hit by a car and killed. There were gifts and trinket's left by the son's friends and family that the CO was asking people to not take.

To me, this is the perfect example of why some caches might be premium only.

There is anecdotal evidence to prove any point, but without hard data someone would have a very hard time convincing me that non-premium members are just as likely to be experienced cachers as the free ones. I know we made some dumb mistakes when my wife and I first started caching and many people. For the most part, these mistakes are harmless and silly, but there are a few caches where it makes sense to try to avoid them and do our best to dissuade first-time or newer cachers from trying them.

Not saying people should, but it makes sense to me.

On a seperate not, it saddens me to live in a world where people scream "snobbery!" or "elitism!" at the drop of a hat.With a few moments of searching and research a person could learn that many of their fears or complaints are unfounded and they just needed to look at it from another perspective. (for example, in this case, there is plenty of threads about non-PM family members being able to log PMO caches)

Edited by d+n.s

I guess one could always put out a cache excluding all private members from logging it as a find. Clearly state in the write up that found logs my private members will be deleted and voila. Those logs would be a good read!

I guess one could always put out a cache excluding all private members from logging it as a find. Clearly state in the write up that found logs my private members will be deleted and voila. Those logs would be a good read!

Sorry but it won't work. Do a little research on "alternate logging requirements".

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not meaning to pile on. I'm also not trying to make light of money issues, as we're going through a lot of them right now. But there are lots of ways to travel fairly cheaply, as has been mentioned. Part of it is lifestyle. Our family rates travel pretty near the top of our list, so we don't spend extra money on things that some family's do: we buy cars used, we don't eat out, we don't go to movies, we don't have cable, we don't drink lattes, we go to Goodwill, etc. When we travel, we do things like sleep in the car and our last several airplane trips have been free by using air miles and being quick to volunteer on stand by and stuff. Just a small sample of how we travel.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not meaning to pile on. I'm also not trying to make light of money issues, as we're going through a lot of them right now. But there are lots of ways to travel fairly cheaply, as has been mentioned. Part of it is lifestyle. Our family rates travel pretty near the top of our list, so we don't spend extra money on things that some family's do: we buy cars used, we don't eat out, we don't go to movies, we don't have cable, we don't drink lattes, we go to Goodwill, etc. When we travel, we do things like sleep in the car and our last several airplane trips have been free by using air miles and being quick to volunteer on stand by and stuff. Just a small sample of how we travel.

To be honest, that's the exact opposite of my family. In our family we rate travel on the lowest possible spot on the list. However, this is not my list, if it were travel would be near the top. What our family calls a "Vacation" is a 2 - 3 day long visit to New Jersey beach... Every year... Of my entire life so far... Whoop-de-doo, 80 miles to wildwood. If it was me, I'd just drive the 2 hours daily to the beach and save the money that is spent on the hotel to take an airplane trip somewhere. The best "Trip" i've ever been on in my life was a 300 mile trip... Too guess? Guess where? Virginia beach, yep, the one trip I took in my life that was farther then 150 miles was too ANOTHER BEACH. I hate beaches, everything about them, the hot sand on the mile long walk to the water-edge, the freezing cold water, the salt water that gets into your mouth, the salt water that gets into your pores and makes you feel physically disgusting, the stepping on all the live clam things on the mid section before you get into the ocean, the sun burn, sand all over your body, sand all over your food, seagulls stealing your food, the terrible stench of the ocean, Guido's, the lemonade that has so much sugar that you can't drink it, the lemonade that you ask for just a little bit of sugar that still has so much sugar you can't drink it, the lemonade where you say "forget it" and tell them to put no sugar in and it is too sour, the rides that while being the only good redeeming quality of the beach make you realize you'd rather be at an amusement park, the showers that you pay $5 on the boardwalk that are disgusting because they are never clean and there is plenty of questionable things in the one you go in... Everytime... The water that has a crappy ice flavor, the water that taste fine but is boiling hot because you didn't put any ice in, the terrible cell phone reception because its an island, the fact that giant battleship you go in is broke, and is floating more and more away from the base, and you are stuck for 45 mins why they figure a way to bring you back, that one year when we went to the beach and there was THOUSANDS of little dots in the entire, little slimy dots, the fish had laid their eggs, and you couldn't move a half centimeter in the water without touching them, the life guards telling me I am moving too far to the left, the tide pulling me out into the ocean when all I want to do is go back, big waves that crush me under the water and slam my body around, small waves that push you back when all you want to do is get out into the big waves, the fact that body surfing never works, the annoying sounds of seagulls that never shut up, bugs everywhere, sand in your shoes that wont come out, the fact that they decided to put a water-park within 100 feet of an ocean.

And the number one reason I hate the beach is because

WATCH THE TRAM CAR PLEASE.

If I hear that again, uggh...

Back on topic.

Yeah, I feel stupid for criticizing his travel, I never thought about the fact that he might have a job that makes him travel. I've honestly never met someone that did that, and thought it was something made-up for TV, it just sounds too good to be true, someone paying for you to travel, then when you aren't working, you get to enjoy the sites of wherever you had to go? That's a dream come true. Sadly, my career path won't lead to that. Whatever... I'll pay for my travels...