GDAK

Ever wished that you could carry your entire GSAK database around with you?

Found this helpful Android app the other day, it allows you to load your entire GSAK database on to your Android phone and be able to access it at anytime without any need for a mobile signal.

You have the ability to read all of the description, hint and logs that are stored, you can also use the built in compass function to navigate to the cache.

It also has the facility to add extra waypoints, so the next stage(s) can be added for multis.

It's FREE as well.

I do... I have the full UK database of nearly 94,000 caches held in CacheMate on my Garmin iQue 3600. That also has CacheNav application which allows me to navigate to any of them using the compass format or directly using the maps also installed. Can't make phone calls on it, though :rolleyes:

I do... I have the full UK database of nearly 94,000 caches held in CacheMate on my Garmin iQue 3600. That also has CacheNav application which allows me to navigate to any of them using the compass format or directly using the maps also installed. Can't make phone calls on it, though :rolleyes:

I use the iPhone as a PDA all the time when caching... Airplane mode on... So mine doesn't take calls either!

That's some fair old database there John, don't think I will bother loading that many, yet!!

I like it as it is one less item to carry as I always have the phone with me.

It's actually 3 separate data bases (UK North, UK West & UK East) loaded onto a 2Gb SD card with only one of them loaded into CacheMate at any one time. The Palm version of CacheMate chucks a bit of a wobbly if the database exceeds 32767 records. Pretty soon I'm going to have to divide the country up into 4 areas... If I can be bothered to keep it up to date for much longer. With the amount of caching I do these days, it's a lot of effort for something that doesn't get a lot of use.

Cor blimey, all that data must weigh a ton!

Ever wished that you could carry your entire GSAK database around with you?

Yup! Such an app would be very useful for my "Ongoing" database, which currently holds around 53,000 caches. You don't actually tell us the name of the app concerned?

[edit to add: bah! unless I read the thread title - sometimes I am so stoopid..]

Nigel

Edited by simplysup

Thought I'd give it a go. Tried on a Samsung Galaxy S. Tried the massive database at first and it spent 15 minutes loading at which stage I cancelled it. Tried a database of 25,000 caches and it loaded in seconds. Very impressive. It would probably handle the whole lot on a more powerful phone. I like the interface as well! :)

Quite agree there, it seems that it is only available for the Android phones.

I di say it was an app I found for the Android. Sorry to all you iPhone users.

:)

I'm happy with the official app on iPhone... Which I have loaded with 20k caches or so at the moment. I think it could take the whole of the uk, it'd just take some doing as it either runs PQs or searches, it cannot have a .gpx loaded from anywhere else.

That is one problem with the official app, at least with this one I simply load the entire GSAK databse and job done in one swoop. I have got the official app but use it mainly for an impromptu find in an unexpected area

I hear the two official apps are different?!

I like the app as I can also download maps to it at the same time as the caches... So it's good out of signal range.

That said I'd like something that can do what this droid app does, I'd look into making GSAK work for me then!

Downloaded the GDAK app onto my Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and after disabling the orientation to disable the landscape / portrait auto feature to allow only portrait orientation and setting to Km/m distance the app works really well. I know have my entire UK GSAK database, including France and Spain at my fingertips on my phone, to use 'off-line'. COOL! B)

You have the ability to read all of the description, hint and logs that are stored, you can also use the built in compass function to navigate to the cache.

It also has the facility to add extra waypoints, so the next stage(s) can be added for multis.

I am really missing the "normal" Table of child waypoints, available in GSAK. Getting the Parking-Coordinates displayed is so many clicks:

For example for a multi with a lot of trailheads&Stuff: Navigate, right, right, right, right, Park

I am really missing the "normal" Table of child waypoints, available in GSAK. Getting the Parking-Coordinates displayed is so many clicks:

For example for a multi with a lot of trailheads&Stuff: Navigate, right, right, right, right, Park

I put the table of waypoints on the list of features that needs to be implemented!

I cant remember how many times I go somewhere only to find I'm 5 miles from the nearest cache cause its outside the PQ.

A couple of questions on this database issue.

1. How are you getting such a big number of caches in database are you downloading lots & lots of PQ's for an area? Surely you cant be doing this for the whole country!

2. Is there an app that can be used on Ipod Touch (no gps/3g) to use the database?

Edited by Djinnsplace

I have PQ's for an area of 75km around where I live, and that results in about 14000 caches...

I thought the limit was 1000/PQ? The ability to download all withing perhaps 20 miles of home would be great

The limit is 1000/PQ, so wolojoli will be running >=14 PQs (note no "grocers'" apostrophe :blink: )

I'm off to the corner now to await another pedant ripping into my (ab)use of the apostrophe, personally I think they should be banned for ever (the apostrophes that is not the pedants) !

Edited by MartyBartfast

G'day folks

I'm contemplating buying a droid tablet** to use instead of my laptop whilst travelling around here in downundershire.

GDAK looks like it will fit the bill for the GSAK requirement, but can you upload caches to your Garmin in the same way as GSAK or will it involve fiddling with the files?

** either Nexus 7 or ASUS equivalent

Tooroo

McWomble / McWombat