New Cache in cape may, nj... any one want to maintain it for us?

Seems like the reviewer should not publish the cache, since you admit that you can't maintain it from the get-go.

You did read the Guidelines, right?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

2. Geocache Maintenance

Owner is responsible for geocache page upkeep.

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

Yes, but I need help. i come here often, but Im not close enough for fast actions.

I will place a cache in cape May, NJ in a couple of days. We live in North Jersey so we cant be there all the time. Can anyone who lives in cape May or nearby maintain it for us??? Please... this is urgent!!!

Recommendation: If you can't maintain it, don't hide it. From teh Knowledge Books:

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, we ask that you place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while on a vacation or business trip. It is best when you live within a manageable distance from the cache placements to allow for return visits. Geocaches placed during travel may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan, which must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

Seems like the reviewer should not publish the cache, since you admit that you can't maintain it from the get-go.

2. Geocache Maintenance

Yes, but I need help. i come here often, but Im not close enough for fast actions.

And what's the urgency to having to place a cache there and now?

2. Geocache Maintenance

Im leaving on monday....

2. Geocache Maintenance

But what's the urgency for placing the cache next week? Is the location disappearing?

Im leaving on monday....

But what's the urgency for placing hte cache next week? Is the location disappearing or something?

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

I will place a cache in cape May, NJ in a couple of days. We live in North Jersey so we cant be there all the time. Can anyone who lives in cape May or nearby maintain it for us??? Please... this is urgent!!!

If you really _have to_ do this. Why not ask a local cacher? Or at least put a post on the local forums...

I think if you don't already have a plan set up though, then why place a cache?

2. Geocache Maintenance

Im leaving on monday....

OK, I'm familiar with the lovely State of NJ. Your 2 hides are in the vicinity of the South Mountain Reservation (one on it actually), and you probably live nearby. Cape May is at the opposite end of the State. I don't know what you mean by "often", but it doesn't sound like often enough.

I hope you don't think everyone is piling on, but "vacation caches" are strongly discouraged, and have been for many years. Even if it's 150 miles away in the same State. Let the locals hide the caches in Cape May.

Let the locals hide the caches in Cape May.

+1

There's even a tourism identity that has cache placements in the area.

Lots of caches already placed, assuming it's locals. I really don't see the need for an absentee owner to be placing another one. The location is not devoid of caches, so dropping one that may not be published is kind of like throwing garbage in someone's lawn, and expecting them to take care of it ungrudgingly.

If you can convince the Reviewer that you have an adequate maintenance plan, it will likely get published.

However, I don't recommend it. You're asking that a stranger maintain a cache that you get credit for. That scenario is not always going to turn out well.

"On the way to Cape May..."

Seriously though. If you lived in a place like Gibraltar, one option is to train the local monkeys to help maintain your cache without doing inappropriate things with the log pen and swag..but in south jersey the squirrels are just hopeless to train

Did you publish the cache? I am affiliated with the tourism group that hides some of the caches (and encourages others to hide them as well).

Send me a site mail, and maybe I can help you out.

michael

Looks like they only have two hides, and neither is in the Cape May area: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=mclaughlin%40maplewood

Just as well, IMO. Leave the area for the local cachers to hide in. Its their territory.