Munzee: Tie in to Geocaching?

To clarify, I placed one Munzee in a cache I've had for a year. I deployed and listed the Munzee on their site, not geocaching. I make no mention of a Munzee in my cache page here, and I won't.

Each game has their site.

Thanks for the clarification. I had hoped Groundspeak would allow this as a method of logging caches. I don't have any interest in a separate game. Too bad, if the bugs are worked out having an electronic log that proves you were there would eliminate so many logging and proof-of-find issues.

I guess QR Codes are still the best hope for that.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
' timestamp='1310714402' post='4776159']

Is there a way to play this without a smart phone?

My phone is circa 1998, and dumb as a bag of hammers.

If you're using a 13 year old phone then I'm sorry, but I just have to say, you're dumber than your phone and a bag of hammers put together. Nothing personal.

Sorry Brother. I was not aware that the age of my phone had any impact on my IQ. Could that be why most puzzles elude me? My phone is making me dumb? Hey, it's gotta be something killing all those brain cells, right? Might as well blame the phone. :lol:

Back to my original question;

I don't know anything about the processing steps for QR barcodes.

I'm assuming that the software on a smart phone extracts the encrypted data as the image is downloaded to the device? Maybe?

If I took a picture of the QR code with my digital camera, (which, being 5 years old, is almost as dumb as my phone), could I download the image to my desktop and extract the data there? :unsure:

You do not need a listening/tracking/recording device that you pay for, to decrypt standard QR codes. If I am reading correctly tho, you have to be within a specific range of the coords when decrypting the QR for this "don't wanna even think the dumb sounding word based off of mums the word", and that means running an app that not only does the decrypting but is reading the GPS. So yes, you need a "let them have the ability to intrude into you life anytime they want" phone.

They = criminals ranging from the tech savvy street thug to the (any level of government) LEO who doesn't take his oath to defend the constitution seriously.

Unfortunately that covers abut 99% of the Federal Agencies and about 65% of the Local LEOs.... :sad:

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees. I see a fatal flaw in the game though, and it's at its core. Smartphone usually take pretty crappy GPS coordinates.

Yup. Of course their site lets you "fine-tune" the coordinates on a google maps applet...... :rolleyes:

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees. I see a fatal flaw in the game though, and it's at its core. Smartphone usually take pretty crappy GPS coordinates.

Yup. Of course their site lets you "fine-tune" the coordinates on a google maps applet...... :rolleyes:

I actually did refine my Munzee coordinates after I deployed. I used my GPS to get the coordinates. But, then I may as well just geocache instead!

...One is in a cache and I named it Munzee Hybrid...

Did it get listed?

In another thread (linked to above) Reviewer Graculus makes it pretty clear that listings can't contain the word Munzee...

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

We have been given guidance by Groundspeak (who own geocaching.com) that Munzee cannot be mentioned on the cache page as it is a competitive listing site. If you want to know why Groundspeak have made this decision, then I suggest you drop them an email and ask.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

The memo mentioned in the other thread must have missed my area on it's way to the UK. Last night, "Munzee" was approved. It is 3.5 miles away and the cache description is basically a free advertisement for the web site.

The memo mentioned in the other thread must have missed my area on it's way to the UK. Last night, "Munzee" was approved. It is 3.5 miles away and the cache description is basically a free advertisement for the web site.

lol, It will be interesting to see how long it lasts after that post!

Violating policy is one thing...bragging about it in the forums is, um, another. :blink:

There be dragons Reviewers lurking here.

lol, It will be interesting to see how long it lasts after that post!

Violating policy is one thing...bragging about it in the forums is, um, another. :blink:

There be dragons Reviewers lurking here.

Oh, I wasn't bragging. I was simply noting a fact. If it's still listed tomorrow, I'll sign the log sheet and ignore the paper with the funny code on it.

As far as policy. The only policy I see is coming out of Great Briton, not Seattle. Groundspeak's users shouldn't have to find out about new policies by inadvertently breaking them.

The idea that GS thinks of this as a competing listing site is laughable. They aren't geocaches. They are sheets of paper with a UPS tracking code on them. As was noted, it would be like telling people they can't mention "Where's George" dollars. Or, did they do that? WG was dying down as I started geocaching. Would a cache named "Where's George" have been possible?

As far as GS using QR codes for alternate logging of geocaches, wouldn't that advance the proliferation of blank logs?

Edited by Don_J

As far as GS using QR codes for alternate logging of geocaches, wouldn't that advance the proliferation of blank logs?

Not if some form of log text entry was created, as is done (though not well) with the other smartphone geocaching apps.

I'm not a fan of Munzees as they exist today, I am just enamored of the idea that you can use a smartphone's combination of camera, scanner and GPS to create a unique code which would serve better than a signature for proof that the cacher was at that place at that time.

Think of using the QR Code or Munzee, for lack of a better term lets call it a Verification Code (VC), in terms of a security guard. At various locations around the property there are check stations. The guard has a device (most often a card) that he swipes at each station to prove that he is making his rounds at the appointed time. This system provides the employer proof that the guard was at a location at a time specific. Our imagined Verification Code would work the same way...the VC image is in the cache, the cacher finds it, scans it, types any commentary about the cache, a log with date/time/location/comments is created and uploaded to the listing.

Verified finds. I like it! (No charge for the concept, Jeremy!)

That's the function I hope GS adopts, however they choose to go about it.

Not sure if it is mentioned yet but if you don't have a iPhone or a Android you can not play. Our family uses Blackberry's and they do not have a app nor do they plan on making one for the Blackberry. So I guess we stick to caching only and have fun every minute of it.

No Blackberry app (yet) but there is one for android - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.munzee.android.client

Not if some form of log text entry was created, as is done (though not well) with the other smartphone geocaching apps.

I'm not a fan of Munzees as they exist today, I am just enamored of the idea that you can use a smartphone's combination of camera, scanner and GPS to create a unique code which would serve better than a signature for proof that the cacher was at that place at that time.

Think of using the QR Code or Munzee, for lack of a better term lets call it a Verification Code (VC), in terms of a security guard. At various locations around the property there are check stations. The guard has a device (most often a card) that he swipes at each station to prove that he is making his rounds at the appointed time. This system provides the employer proof that the guard was at a location at a time specific. Our imagined Verification Code would work the same way...the VC image is in the cache, the cacher finds it, scans it, types any commentary about the cache, a log with date/time/location/comments is created and uploaded to the listing.

Verified finds. I like it! (No charge for the concept, Jeremy!)

That's the function I hope GS adopts, however they choose to go about it.

I did that 25 years ago, only I carried around a 5lb "timeclock" and had to visit 20 key stations and stick each key in the clock. A few months ago, I parked in a big commercial lot to pick up a pizza. I was about two lamp posts down from an LPC that I had found years ago when I see the security guard approaching it. He scanned the lamp post skirt with a scanner and moved along. I checked it out and found a small washer type object riveted to the skirt. I figure that it was an RFID tag and he was performing the 21st century version of me and my timeclock.

Not sure if it is mentioned yet but if you don't have a iPhone or a Android you can not play. Our family uses Blackberry's and they do not have a app nor do they plan on making one for the Blackberry. So I guess we stick to caching only and have fun every minute of it.

And I can't hunt Wherigo caches, which require Groundspeak-approved technology.

Promises of expanding Wherigo capability to other gps's have not come through as far as I know.

Have the "guidelines" regarding munzees been added to the Groundspeak Guidelines?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=278691

You can put them in a cache as the geocaching.com site is about 'listing' caches not what is in them. However as the cache is listed on geocaching.com you cannot mention munzee on the cache page itself.

Chris

Graculus

Promises of expanding Wherigo capability to other gps's have not come through as far as I know.

Yes you can. Use the free WhereYouGo software.

When I first heard about Geocaching my thought was "Wow, that sounds cool, I'll have to try it one day when I can afford a GPS." After first hearing about this "next level" it didn't sound all that exciting, but I figured I would check it out since it would be a chance to get in on something in the early stages -- sort of as a way to make up for the fact I lost a couple years of Geocaching because I didn't have a GPSr.

My first reaction after checking out the site was "Hey, that blonde on the homepage is kinda cute." B) Then I decided I should focus.

I can now state my reaction is "Meh."

There appear to be five hidden close to me. The descriptions alone make the game sound boring. One even states "This one is unimaginatively attached to a green post."

My second big turnoff is the apparent competitve nature of the game. Leaderboards, levels, scores. No thanks, there is too much of that in Geocaching as it is, I don't need to participate in something that actively encourages that sort of thing.

Perhaps at the age of 38 I'm settling into "happy curmudgeon" mode, but I'm quite happy with what I have now.

When I first heard about Geocaching my thought was "Wow, that sounds cool, I'll have to try it one day when I can afford a GPS." After first hearing about this "next level" it didn't sound all that exciting, but I figured I would check it out since it would be a chance to get in on something in the early stages -- sort of as a way to make up for the fact I lost a couple years of Geocaching because I didn't have a GPSr.

My first reaction after checking out the site was "Hey, that blonde on the homepage is kinda cute." B) Then I decided I should focus.

I can now state my reaction is "Meh."

There appear to be five hidden close to me. The descriptions alone make the game sound boring. One even states "This one is unimaginatively attached to a green post."

My second big turnoff is the apparent competitve nature of the game. Leaderboards, levels, scores. No thanks, there is too much of that in Geocaching as it is, I don't need to participate in something that actively encourages that sort of thing.

Perhaps at the age of 38 I'm settling into "happy curmudgeon" mode, but I'm quite happy with what I have now.

+1!

I'm not into levels, competition, points at all. The only thing that drew me in was the scanning of QR phones. I'm a smartphone geek, love them.

Also, as you said, I deployed 3 because there are none in my area and I thought it would be neat to have the first ones. I called them Englewood's First Munzee.

I would like a way to scan geocaches to log hut not sure is that's possible.

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees!

I can see Munzee having issues with bits of soggy paper as litter. We will see.

Munzee #1 is a medium sized one that I lamented

Is that why you lamented about it? Because the coords were off, or because it might end up as soggy paper? LOL!

...assuming you have an Android phone.

Which I don't. No smartphone, no android, none of that stuff.

One land-based telephone, the same telephone number for 25 years.

One gps.

Not a Wherigo-capable gps, obviously.

And it has to be a 3GS or newer iPhone. I tried installing Munzee on my 3G, but no go.

Wherigo has the iPhone, Garmin and Windows Mobile markets covered, WhereYouGo covers Android. Unless you have a Blackberry you should be able to play...or don't have a smartphone at all, in which case why would someone even be in this conversation?

I don't own an airplane, so I don't go in their forums and wail about not being able to use GPS Autopilot. :huh:

...or don't have a smartphone at all, in which case why would someone even be in this conversation?

I don't own an airplane, so I don't go in their forums and wail about not being able to use GPS Autopilot. :huh:

Didn't know that only "involved" people could post on threads.

I wasn't "wailing" about anything, just stating a fact.

You might want to consider not projecting so much misunderstanding and misinterpretation onto other people's posts.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Wherigo has the iPhone, Garmin and Windows Mobile markets covered, WhereYouGo covers Android. Unless you have a Blackberry you should be able to play...or don't have a smartphone at all, in which case why would someone even be in this conversation?

OpenWIG works on the Blackberry (and other platforms too).

OpenWIG works on the Blackberry (and other platforms too).

Cool. Looks like all the major platforms can now play Wherigo.

Thanks Graculus for sharing the the "reviewer eyes-only" memo. As Don_J pointed out it didn't reach all the reviewers yet because we had a cache called Munzee published here this weekend. I found it, and as far as I was concerned it was a traditional cache. There was a QR code in it but as I don't have a smartphone there was nothing I could do with it. It was much better than the multi someone put out a few weeks ago that requires a smartphone QR reader to find.

I can't tell if Groundspeak's commercial guidelines seem to be more strongly enforced against companies with a tie in to geocaching than other companies. I know I can't put a cache at McDonald's and call it McDonald's cache. Depending on my local reviewer I might get away with Ronald's cache however. Perhaps ss I can tell people that I have a cache with a zummee QR code and tathpags to trade :unsure:

...One is in a cache and I named it Munzee Hybrid...

Did it get listed?

In another thread (linked to above) Reviewer Graculus makes it pretty clear that listings can't contain the word Munzee...

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

We have been given guidance by Groundspeak (who own geocaching.com) that Munzee cannot be mentioned on the cache page as it is a competitive listing site. If you want to know why Groundspeak have made this decision, then I suggest you drop them an email and ask.

Chris

Graculus

Certainly is...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=591cbbca-2779-43cb-b236-b093c829be49

At the end of the cache page that promotes munzee, the last line is:

If you want to try Munzee, go to Munzee.com and sign up for free and download the free app.

What was that about tathpags? :anitongue:

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees!

I can see Munzee having issues with bits of soggy paper as litter. We will see.

Munzee #1 is a medium sized one that I lamented

Is that why you lamented about it? Because the coords were off, or because it might end up as soggy paper? LOL!

Stupid auto correct! Lol. They won't get wet though. One is in an ammo can cache, one in a deacon container. That might be spelled wrong too. :)

And for those misunderstanding me, I listed my Munzees on their site, not here. Again, not here. I named the Munzee, " Munzee Hybrid," on their site.

The cache it's in is listed here as Explore Lemon Bay Park.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Why is this thread still open? Doesn't this site fall under the same competitor guidelines as the site mentioned in a previous thread that sells those round quarter-sized tags of colorful metal that one uses on the path?

How about, "because the concept is new, and the moderating team has already asked Groundspeak for guidance, but hasn't heard anything back yet."

Why is this thread still open? Doesn't this site fall under the same competitor guidelines as the site mentioned in a previous thread that sells those round quarter-sized tags of colorful metal that one uses on the path?

How about, "because the concept is new, and the moderating team has already asked Groundspeak for guidance, but hasn't heard anything back yet."

Yep, that'll work. Thanks for the notice.

I have a few issues with them so far.

People can place a cache where ever they like. That may seem good, but we don't need more that get blown up. A friend mentioned one stapled to the back of a sign, ink running. Sorry, to me slapping a sticker anywhere, hanging it on a fence, whatever it may be in the open, just looks like junk and smacks of vandalism and trash. We have younger kids that slap a sticker on stuff for their "gangs, group, whatever" and run off here.

Google maps are not the answer. They are not always at the correct coords, sometimes they are a ways off. So tweaking them can make them worse. Though in most areas they seem to be pretty good.

I have a few issues with them so far.

People can place a cache where ever they like. That may seem good, but we don't need more that get blown up. A friend mentioned one stapled to the back of a sign, ink running. Sorry, to me slapping a sticker anywhere, hanging it on a fence, whatever it may be in the open, just looks like junk and smacks of vandalism and trash. We have younger kids that slap a sticker on stuff for their "gangs, group, whatever" and run off here.

Google maps are not the answer. They are not always at the correct coords, sometimes they are a ways off. So tweaking them can make them worse. Though in most areas they seem to be pretty good.

You're going to get Geocachers that don't put much thought into the caches as well therefore leaving "junk" around that could easily be classed as litter. It's not the game but the people that play the game. You get people that will take a lot of time planning a cache and make sure it's something really special and you'll get people that place one just to say theyve done it without really thinking about whether it's good, without taking the time to make sure its a good standard.

The google maps tweaking works because you aren't relying on a GPS device and co-ordinates for Munzee, you are relying on google maps and if something is placed using google maps as a reference then google maps should be the best way to find it.

I read the same guidance as Graculus and would not publish a cache like you've been discussing. Sometimes it takes awhile for everyone on the reviewer team to get the word. And, sometimes caches are edited post publication.

Is there a public place where those "guidances" can be viewed by those wishing to create compliant listings? I assume there isn't (unless you count the forums), and this seems to be the biggest source of controversy. Reviewers being told ("in secret") what to do, and the general public never knowing about it.

It ought not be a secret that Groundspeak's listing site cannot be used to promote other listing sites. There is a long history of analogous rulings. If it were a secret, Graculus and I would not have posted.

If you'd like a source in the listing guidelines, see the section about Commercial Caches/ Caches That Solicit. This guideline applies regardless of whether the other listing site is for-profit or non-profit.

Like Ronald McDonald promoting Big Macs inside of a Burger King restaurant, the point should be obvious to most geocachers.

Like Ronald McDonald promoting Big Macs inside of a Burger King restaurant, the point should be obvious to most geocachers.

I think that the real issue here, is that this is not the same across the board. Letterboxes are fully accepted on geocaching.com, why can't Munzee's be?

I think that the real issue here, is that this is not the same across the board. Letterboxes are fully accepted on geocaching.com, why can't Munzee's be?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." RW Emerson B)

Hiding a letterbox hybrid cache to highlight the presence of a stamp is one thing; using your listing to promote atlasquest.org is quite another.

Hiding a QR code in your container to provide a clue to the next cache location is one thing; using your listing to promote munzee.com is quite another.

Hiding a letterbox hybrid cache to highlight the presence of a stamp is one thing; using your listing to promote atlasquest.org is quite another.

Hiding a QR code in your container to provide a clue to the next cache location is one thing; using your listing to promote munzee.com is quite another.

It isn't hard to find this information.

Solicitation and Commercial Content

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

Commercial caches are disallowed. As a general rule, reviewers will not publish cache pages that seem commercial. A commercial cache has one or more of the following characteristics:

It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

It contains links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political agendas or social agendas.

It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache page.

On very rare occasions, Groundspeak makes an exception for a commercial cache. Arrangements are made before placement. If your cache is commercial in any way, please contact Groundspeak for clarification about how to comply with cache listing guidelines.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

Keystone sums it up well and his answer carries a lot more weight than mine, but here's my response anyway. :P

Letterboxing itself was around long before Geocaching and a different sort of game. In a true letterbox the focus is on the use of clues and GPS doesn't really play a factor. (Not true of the letterbox hybrid caches on this site, but that's why their only "hybrids".)

This other site is essentially "Geocaching using a QR code and smartphone instead of a logbook to prove your visit." This other site wants to be "the next step" in Geocaching. Helping out someone who wants to take over your business model is generally not a great idea.

Some aspects sound interesting. The combiination of QR code and GPS location from a smartphone should really cut down on bogus logs, at least until someone finds a way to hack the system for purposes of running up their numbers. And, given how running up numbers has become such a big part of Geocaching, I can see where having integrated leaderboards and levels would appeal to a large segment of the caching population. And, factor in the exploding smartphone market and how the game is designed for smartphone users...

I'll be curious to see if this other site takes off and forces Groundspeak to adapt at all. It might take ahile, but... :drama:

This other site is essentially "Geocaching using a QR code and smartphone instead of a logbook to prove your visit." This other site wants to be "the next step" in Geocaching. Helping out someone who wants to take over your business model is generally not a great idea.

Seems more like Waymarking with QR codes to me.

Keystone sums it up well and his answer carries a lot more weight than mine, but here's my response anyway. :P

Letterboxing itself was around long before Geocaching and a different sort of game. In a true letterbox the focus is on the use of clues and GPS doesn't really play a factor. (Not true of the letterbox hybrid caches on this site, but that's why their only "hybrids".)

Some aspects sound interesting. The combiination of QR code and GPS location from a smartphone should really cut down on bogus logs, at least until someone finds a way to hack the system for purposes of running up their numbers. And, given how running up numbers has become such a big part of Geocaching, I can see where having integrated leaderboards and levels would appeal to a large segment of the caching population. And, factor in the exploding smartphone market and how the game is designed for smartphone users...

I'll be curious to see if this other site takes off and forces Groundspeak to adapt at all. It might take ahile, but... :drama:

I think you are missing the point. It is ok to incorporate letterbox type clues in addition to your GPS coordinates. You just can't advertise one of the letterboxing sites (Atlas Quest for example) on your cache page. Likewise you can us a QR code as an element of your cache. However, you can not advertise Munzee.