Munzee: Tie in to Geocaching?

' timestamp='1310714402' post='4776159']

Is there a way to play this without a smart phone?

My phone is circa 1998, and dumb as a bag of hammers.

If you're using a 13 year old phone then I'm sorry, but I just have to say, you're dumber than your phone and a bag of hammers put together. Nothing personal.

Sorry Brother. I was not aware that the age of my phone had any impact on my IQ. Could that be why most puzzles elude me? My phone is making me dumb? Hey, it's gotta be something killing all those brain cells, right? Might as well blame the phone. :lol:

Back to my original question;

I don't know anything about the processing steps for QR barcodes.

I'm assuming that the software on a smart phone extracts the encrypted data as the image is downloaded to the device? Maybe?

If I took a picture of the QR code with my digital camera, (which, being 5 years old, is almost as dumb as my phone), could I download the image to my desktop and extract the data there? :unsure:

Yes, you could do that. Basically, a QR code is just an image, which contains meaning, not by adding data to the image, but through the orientation of the "colors" as a pattern. A QR code reader is necessary to extract meaning from the image, but it does more than that. Once it has extracted the information, it can send it to an additional application for processing. For example, if the information is a text string which looks like a URL, it can send it to a web browser, to request a web page from a server and display a web page.

When using a smart phone, the capture device (camera), reader and processor all run on the same hardware. That's the advantage of QR codes. From a physical image you can extract data, then use that data in applications on the same device. The only difference, with your approach is that you're using multiple devices/systems to do the same thing. In this case, the digital camera is used to capture the image, a copy of it is saved on your computer, then sent to an external system which is running a QR reader, and the results sent back to your computer for processing (i.e. opening up a URL in your web browser.) At the end of the day, the results are the same.

BTW, I've got an old Blackberry Pearl lying around that I don't use anymore. If you want it, let me know.

One of us misunderstands Munzee. Yes, it reads QR Codes as you describe, but then it also reads your current GPS coordinates when you scan the QR Code and combines the two into a unique data token that can only be created by scanning the code at the given site. You can create the QR Scan or the coordinate location separately, but what you cannot do is combine them into a single data token that proves that you were at a specific coordinate when you scanned the QR.

I get the folks who say they don't have and don't want the devices capable of doing this, I have lots of ham radio friends with tube radios from the 30's thru 70's who insist they'll never go digital, and that's okay. Don't want to hunt Munzees? K, then you don't need the equipment!

I don't really know anything about Munzee, probably because I've never visited their web site (actually, I just did). I was commenting more on how QR codes work in general.

Despite the fact that I have been working with technology for a living since I was testing Pong games for Atari in 1975 I'm not always an earlier adopter of every new thing that comes along. I also don't try a lot of social media games because I live in a relatively sparsely populated area and the level of adoption of some of these games is so low that it's effectively impossible to play them. I installed iSpy on my phone about a year and a half ago, created a couple of local missions, but the closest one for me to find is about 60 miles away. It looks like the nearest Munzee to me is about 90 miles away.

I can see it working and being tweaked. One of the hardest pills I found at starting to Geocache was the additional purchase of a GPS just to play. It does give smartphone users the ability to play a GPS game without the purchase of an additional piece of hardware and forgetting your pen is not an issue any longer. You have to launch the Munzee with your cellphone at the site you’re going to place it so a signal is required. That eliminates the cannot log because you have no signal issue. I see this becoming more an urban game and I would rather look and scan one of these in a parking lot rather than knowing that the Ho Hum micro is hidden under a lamp skirt or on a guard rail in a parking lot. I have recently moved to an area that is NOT saturated with caches and have several planned hides and I am going to hide a few Munzees as well. The nearest one is 50+ miles away so we will see what happens. Remember Geocaching started with a bucket and a can of beans.

It seems like an interesting development in geocaching and I'll be curious to see where it goes. I think it has alot of potential as a concept, especially in increasing "proof" of a Find.

Of course, there are issues:

1) The smartphone limitation.

2) Water damage. It's bad enough find a cache with a ruined log, but you can at least sign a damp log or add your own slip of paper usually. With a Munzee, if you find the cache and are looking at the QR code but it wont scan then you can't claim a Capture/Find.

3) Urban Micros. Not all of us are into that sort of thing. Maybe it will spread beyond that?

4) There are some reasonable guidelines, but not sure how they will enforced. Definitely no Reviewer process right now.

I think it also has a great deal of potential with improving FourSquare: walk into a venue, scan the QR code at the counter or on the menu, and now you're checked in. Increases "proof" of a Find like with geocaching, but also helps limited the mess of inaccurate and duplicated venue listings all over the place.

' timestamp='1310714402' post='4776159']

If you're using a 13 year old phone then I'm sorry, but I just have to say, you're dumber than your phone and a bag of hammers put together. Nothing personal.

You probably should have added a smiley. Some folks take offense much too quickly to comments like that.

(I thought it was funny, personally.)

Hey guys. I just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I have gotten into the Munzee craze slightly after Geowoodstock this year. The closest on the where I live in over 40 miles away. So I went out and hid a few the other day, and plan on hiding some more when the rain stops later this week. I am having a hard time spreading the word to the locals, or to peak their interest in the game. It is an awesome concept, and is fast and easy. as a matter of fact, on the newest episode of the podcacher podcast, (episode 329) Sonny and Sandy discuss the munzee craze, and give you some good information on the topic. Hope to get some Munzee players in my area soon. How are all you guys helping to spread the word in your areas?

I started playing Munzee last week after hearing about it from a fellow Geocacher... I've started hiding them in a couple of caches (with the owners permission of course) and in spots that are sometimes impossible to hide a cache, just by pinning them to a tree or a fence. The concept is really good, easy to print and deploy the codes as and when needed... with the right direction and focus I can see it developing into something that will last.

Edited by JourneyPilot

I started playing Munzee last week after hearing about it from a fellow Geocacher... I've started hiding them in a couple of caches (with the owners permission of course) and in spots that are sometimes impossible to hide a cache, just by pinning them to a tree or a fence. The concept is really good, easy to print and deploy the codes as and when needed... with the right direction and focus I can see it developing into something that will last.

What is special about the trees or fence you put these on?

What is special about the numerous trees or fences people place geocaches on?

Nothing. Which is why we're trying to discourage such silliness.

To paraphrase Smokey Bear, only you can prevent lame munzees.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Nothing. Which is why we're trying to discourage such silliness.

It's not working.

Thanks, but I think I'll save my batteries, in case I need to phone a friend, or call for help. I love geocaching, because it has taught me so much about using technology to get outside, away from technology, which I am still not best friends with. I found one of these things the other day, a plain piece of copy paper, ink running, unreadable, stapled to a state park kiosk and thought it was a poorly placed stage of a multi. Even mentioned that it was a really poorly placed cache stage and that very night, I read about this thing in the forums. I'll pass on it, especially if they are so badly implemented that the inks runs into oblivion and renders the game useless.

Thanks, but I think I'll save my batteries, in case I need to phone a friend, or call for help. I love geocaching, because it has taught me so much about using technology to get outside, away from technology, which I am still not best friends with. I found one of these things the other day, a plain piece of copy paper, ink running, unreadable, stapled to a state park kiosk and thought it was a poorly placed stage of a multi. Even mentioned that it was a really poorly placed cache stage and that very night, I read about this thing in the forums. I'll pass on it, especially if they are so badly implemented that the inks runs into oblivion and renders the game useless.

Hi Sweet P! Sure, some folks just don't get taking care to prepare or think things through. Anything put out related to geocaching needs to be water resistant if not water proof. And stapling something out in the open is sad. Still, a laminated Munzee inside a geocache would to my mind be a welcome manner of logging the cache. Keep it dry and legible is our practice with logbooks and should be with Munzees.

What would be the fun in me telling you... come to Nottingham and find out for yourself :). You'll find all my Munzees as well thought out as my up coming caches - when my containers arrive and I've even got ideas to link some of them into caches that I may come up with in the future.

I just heard about this on show 329 of the Podcacher podcast. I decided to give it a try today. Created an account and went to the nearest one- just 3 miles away. Found it easily with my GPS. I don't think I would have found it with only my phone. The app does not give you much info- no coords - so I had to get that online before I left. I usually try out new things just to see if they can be fun and add to my adventure travels. I am headed west in just over a week so may get a chance to try some more of these.

What would be the fun in me telling you... come to Nottingham and find out for yourself :). You'll find all my Munzees as well thought out as my up coming caches - when my containers arrive and I've even got ideas to link some of them into caches that I may come up with in the future.

I"m just wondering if there are things to do/see at each location

How do you get a cell phone to last that long? I get 3-4 years max and then I will do something catastrophic to it.

I thought the same thing. I didn't think rechargeable batteries would last that long. What kind of phone is it?

How do you get a cell phone to last that long? I get 3-4 years max and then I will do something catastrophic to it.

I thought the same thing. I didn't think rechargeable batteries would last that long. What kind of phone is it?

Also, didn't digital become the norm in 1999-2000? Prior to that phones were analog. Not even sure if one from 1998 would connect to a network today.

The ones I've put down so far are my favourite walks that I like doing and think that others would enjoy too. Some of these Munzees are in place biding their time until I receive some containers that I ordered about a week or two ago. A couple are in hiding places that containers just couldn't be for instance one of the walks is a country park with various large wooden statues of animals and insects around the place and Ive attached a couple to various statues.

The ones I've put down so far are my favourite walks that I like doing and think that others would enjoy too. Some of these Munzees are in place biding their time until I receive some containers that I ordered about a week or two ago. A couple are in hiding places that containers just couldn't be for instance one of the walks is a country park with various large wooden statues of animals and insects around the place and Ive attached a couple to various statues.

And this is another reason why I am not finding these munzees to be a good thing to tie in with geocaching, if people are going to have the audacity to deface public artwork. That is such a bad idea. I cannot fathom how you thought that might be OK to do. Even the one I found (I would not want to log it) stapled to the park kiosk was a bad idea, but to affix it to the sculptures is worse! Why would you do that!?

And this is another reason why I am not finding these munzees to be a good thing to tie in with geocaching, if people are going to have the audacity to deface public artwork. That is such a bad idea. I cannot fathom how you thought that might be OK to do. Even the one I found (I would not want to log it) stapled to the park kiosk was a bad idea, but to affix it to the sculptures is worse! Why would you do that!?

THANK YOU, PLANET! +1

That was NOT the answer I was hoping for. I had a bad feeling this was the case. Now from what I can see, they are little pieces of paper attached places. Just how long are those scraps of paper going to last in the weather before they are litter or add to one of the telephone poles that have been used for yard sale signs, staples with little scraps of paper. ugh

How did you attach them?

How did you attach them?

I cannot imagine any acceptable way to attach these to anything.

Laminated and put in a cache as an alternative logging method is the only way I see Munzees fitting in with geocaching.

Attaching them, especially in any visible way, to anything is not acceptable.

It seems like an interesting development in geocaching and I'll be curious to see where it goes. I think it has alot of potential as a concept, especially in increasing "proof" of a Find.

Of course, there are issues:

1) The smartphone limitation.

2) Water damage. It's bad enough find a cache with a ruined log, but you can at least sign a damp log or add your own slip of paper usually. With a Munzee, if you find the cache and are looking at the QR code but it wont scan then you can't claim a Capture/Find.

3) Urban Micros. Not all of us are into that sort of thing. Maybe it will spread beyond that?

4) There are some reasonable guidelines, but not sure how they will enforced. Definitely no Reviewer process right now.

I think it also has a great deal of potential with improving FourSquare: walk into a venue, scan the QR code at the counter or on the menu, and now you're checked in. Increases "proof" of a Find like with geocaching, but also helps limited the mess of inaccurate and duplicated venue listings all over the place.

Excellent points! No review process, they're almost all on private property, they're almost all "urban micros". Not into that here. I have further issues, it appears to be Iphone and Droid only. Blackberry doesn't make smartphones? I think they have almost as much market share as either. Not to mention low market share smartphones like Palm.

And you mention Foursquare. Even there you can "shout" when you check in at a venue. You can't say anything about your Munzee hunt even if you wanted to. All the logs will just be "captured". Heck, almost reminds me of blank smartphone logs on Geocaches. Just gives the whole game an "all about the numbers" feel to me.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

That's not to say that Groundspeak couldn't modify the idea so that you could write some sort of log.

As mentioned before, simply laminating the QR code would solve the water damage problem.

Has anyone make a feedback topic on this yet? I'd use a few votes on it.

Evidently Groundspeak is taking a 'not welcome here' stance on Munzees, banning that name in cache listings!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=278691&view=findpost&p=4786588

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

That's not to say that Groundspeak couldn't modify the idea so that you could write some sort of log.

As mentioned before, simply laminating the QR code would solve the water damage problem.

Has anyone make a feedback topic on this yet? I'd use a few votes on it.

Evidently Groundspeak is taking a 'not welcome here' stance on Munzees, banning that name in cache listings!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=278691&view=findpost&p=4786588

Hmm, well that's a buzzkill. Although it sounds like more of a copyright/competition problem than a "we don't like this idea" one.

I wouldn't mind Groundspeak coming up with something similar of their own and implementing that as a new cache "container" type. Don't know what kind of strangleholds Munzee has on the idea.

I would hardly call it defacing.. these are not art work.. these are play things for children to climb all over. The way in which the two I have attached is with a drawing pin that is easily removeable and they are underneath each one in a place that is in no way visible and only accessible by laying on the floor and reaching under. If they were in fact "works of art" then I would indeed refrain from doing such a thing as I am in agreement, that would be defacing them.

I wouldn't mind Groundspeak coming up with something similar of their own and implementing that as a new cache "container" type. Don't know what kind of strangleholds Munzee has on the idea.

Why add more to geocaching? Munzee different, just like that Way??? activity is.

If you want to do more than one activity, fine, but why try to bundle it together?

Why add more to geocaching? Munzee different, just like that Way??? activity is.

If you want to do more than one activity, fine, but why try to bundle it together?

Well, it's not the first time. I see you've been around long enough to remember when it was rather popular to put Wheresgeorge bills in Geocaches. The thought of Groundspeak banning the use of the word Wheresgeorge on cache pages seems kind of ubsurd. Of course it worked the other way around in this case, with the owner of wheresgeorge.com not liking the artificial hits putting bills into Geocaches provided, even going so far as designating some bills as "Geocache Bills".

But Georging in conjunction with Geocaching is practically dead. Another thing to blame on micros. :tongue:

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees!

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees. I see a fatal flaw in the game though, and it's at its core. Smartphone usually take pretty crappy GPS coordinates.

At times my Android is right on, but other times it is 60 feet off. And the time are random.

I deployed my Munzees using the Android app, but when I was finished I used a GPS to get more accurate coordinates.

But how many smartphone users even have a GPS? How many are going to take the time to refine their coords? It seems you need to have the Munzee almost in plain site if you're deploying using smartphone coords only.

It's a neat idea, and I love qr code stuff. Seems like letterboxing is old school, Munzee is new age, and geocaching is in the middle.

I can see Munzee having issues with bits of soggy paper as litter. We will see.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees!

Just deployed my first 3 Munzees. I see a fatal flaw in the game though, and it's at its core. Smartphone usually take pretty crappy GPS coordinates.

At times my Android is right on, but other times it is 60 feet off. And the time are random.

I deployed my Munzees using the Android app, but when I was finished I used a GPS to get more accurate coordinates.

But how many smartphone users even have a GPS? How many are going to take the time to refine their coords? It seems you need to have the Munzee almost in plain site if you're deploying using smartphone coords only.

It's a neat idea, and I love qr code stuff. Seems like letterboxing is old school, Munzee is new age, and geocaching is in the middle.

I can see Munzee having issues with bits of soggy paper as litter. We will see.

I'm an Iphone user on orange and my signal is awful at the best, the only time I can ever recall having a full signal was when I was out Geocaching and I was very close to a radio mast. The way I do it is by placing the Munzee, if I dont have a signal at the time I'll then go home and "delopy" it. I think the interface for moving around the pin on the site is pretty accurate and takes seconds to move.

Think of it this way, if players want the scans they have to have accurate co-ordinates for people to find them... if they want the scans they have to do something to stop them going soggy, everyone I've spoken to is laminating them, placing them inside some form of container in "Zip`n Seal" style bags or doing something a bit more creative and wont tell me what until I go out and find it.

...One is in a cache and I named it Munzee Hybrid...

Did it get listed?

In another thread (linked to above) Reviewer Graculus makes it pretty clear that listings can't contain the word Munzee...

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

We have been given guidance by Groundspeak (who own geocaching.com) that Munzee cannot be mentioned on the cache page as it is a competitive listing site. If you want to know why Groundspeak have made this decision, then I suggest you drop them an email and ask.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books