Hello all!

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this is just a simple Thank you post.

I had never heard of Geocaching until the other week, when it was on the news. my partner and I thought we would have a look, as the news man said that it was like we would find one within a mile of our home. To our delight we found over 300 within a 5 mile radius and after downloading an app, we picked a nice and easy one and and set off with our 3 girls.

All I can say is thank you! That evening we found 2 and my girls loved it. We are not a very wealthy family, but we have now found something cheap and enjoyable for the whole family.

We have had a few teething problems (mainly me reading the GPS wrong) but were getting there. Tomorrow my me and hubby are ditching date night and are going of to do our first extreme caching and were both so excited.

Thanks again for this wonderful site,

and I'm sorry for my pointless post, but I had to thank someone, anyone for the joy and excitement brought to my family.

XX Molly and co

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this is just a simple Thank you post.

Posting here is just fine :D

Glad you found us, we have been here for a while now :laughing: I assume someone told you it can be very obsessive and there soon comes a time when just walking along a country path has you thinking, is there a cache here or can I hide one over there.

Have fun and do post any questions that you have all the time trying to resist the urge to race out and start hiding them for a little while, until you have found your feet.

Enjoy, oh and welcome :D

Welcome! It truly is a great passtime. The missus and I have cut out trips to famous junk food outlets (Mc-coughcough) almost 100% and replaced it with Geocaching and the money saved funds our fuel costs. We're losing weight, feeling fitter and getting to know some great people along the way!

We're not rich either, and with the exception of the fuel, this hobby is about as inexpensive as one can get!

So welcome to the most addictive pastime available!

We have had a few teething problems (mainly me reading the GPS wrong) but were getting there.

Hello and welcome to the addiction! :laughing:

We had the same teething problems when we started. I remember walking about a quarter mile in the opposite direction when we went after our first cache. It was *completely* the wrong footpath!!!

Cass

Welcome! We started caching in March of last year as a family...it didn't take us long to get addicted!

I had no idea I could get an arrow on the GPS...I found my first 1000 just by watching the co-ordinates count up or down....I got lost a lot! Then I discovered I could put the co-ords in and up popped an arrow; caching got easier then!

Have fun!

Thank you all for the warm welcome,

We can confirm after just a week we are already addicted!

We have planned a whole weekend around it.

We are also doing our first extreme cach (GC29PZ6)this evening, and have managed to rope some friend in to join us and a baby sitter is book. The kids are carefully planning where they want their own cach to go.

For the first tome, in a long time, I'm looking forward to, not only the weekend but the summer holidays! :D :D :D

Welcome to the mad house :) Get ready for geocaching taking over all your free time! I recently got my mum and dad involved and my mum would now rather spend a day caching than going shopping (and that is saying something)

- get ready for some DNF's but just keep going and move onto the next

- get ready for standing around waiting for a muggle to go just so you can dive into the nettles to retrieve the cache

- get ready for walking quarter of a mile down the wrong footpath learning u needed the other one to be on the right side of a big lake

- and finally get ready for nettle stings !!!!

ENJOY :laughing:

Welcome to the mad house :) Get ready for geocaching taking over all your free time! I recently got my mum and dad involved and my mum would now rather spend a day caching than going shopping (and that is saying something)

- get ready for some DNF's but just keep going and move onto the next

- get ready for standing around waiting for a muggle to go just so you can dive into the nettles to retrieve the cache

- get ready for walking quarter of a mile down the wrong footpath learning u needed the other one to be on the right side of a big lake

- and finally get ready for nettle stings !!!!

ENJOY :laughing:

agree

- DNF's are annoying but be honest with yourself

- I get plenty of strange looks, especially when out by myself

I'm trying to distance myself from sounding too nerdy when telling family & friends about GC

Great that it's inexpensive, good exercise (walking or on bike) - its an easy "fill some time" during weekends/holidays, weather depending.

You can do as much or as little and you get out of it whatever you want. Something you can do alone or with the family

The best part for me - is seeing some lovely places (even on my doorstep) which I never knew existed or that I would have just drove past

Edited by look4box

Thank you all for the warm welcome,

We can confirm after just a week we are already addicted!

We have planned a whole weekend around it.

We are also doing our first extreme cach (GC29PZ6)this evening, and have managed to rope some friend in to join us and a baby sitter is book. The kids are carefully planning where they want their own cach to go.

For the first tome, in a long time, I'm looking forward to, not only the weekend but the summer holidays! :D :D :D

Hope it's not too late to add another welcome! congratulations on your extreme caching experience, looks like a lot of fun. Not tried that yet. I loved the bit about the moth. :laughing:

Congratulations from the three of us here in Bristol.

We're in the same position as you in that the news item from Wetherby made me sit up and take notice about geocaching. I googled it, found this forum and the search facility and now, three weeks on, we've clocked up around 30-odd caches since then.

Not rapid caching, admittedly, but steady, thoughtful approach really. I don't use the GPS as I haven't got a receiver and have a Blackberry that doesn't seem to support the application.

have a Blackberry that doesn't seem to support the application.

I've use Cachesense See Here on the 3 different Blackberries and think it's great. You can have a free 30 day trial, after which it's $9.99 (so about £6.00) for a lifetime registration which you can transfer to another BB if you get a new one.

And....

The latest version (V4) of Cachesense has just been released and it's apparently the first 3rd party app to use the new Geocaching Live API.

I have cachesense on my BB Torch and love it. Just got the beta version which uses "Live". On more than one time I have got closer to the cache than my caching partner who has a proper Garmin GPS unit.

Also it gives me access to the notes, logs and hints which is handy for area that I had not originally planned to vist. :)