CAN'T FIND THOSE CAMOS

ON-THE-LOOSE

Okay, this newbie has decided to reach out for some advice. It's not that I mind logging DNFs, but it's kind of embarrasing when they are listed at 1.5! My adult son and I usually go out together, The ones we're not finding seem to mostly be described as well camod - I'm assuming that means well camouflaged. We've managed to find a couple 2.5s, so we're not totally blind. I keep telling myself I'm not thinking out of the box enough. Does anyone have any advice beyond the usual look up, under, inside, etc. already posted on these forums? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Okay, this newbie has decided to reach out for some advice. It's not that I mind logging DNFs, but it's kind of embarrasing when they are listed at 1.5! My adult son and I usually go out together, The ones we're not finding seem to mostly be described as well camod - I'm assuming that means well camouflaged. We've managed to find a couple 2.5s, so we're not totally blind. I keep telling myself I'm not thinking out of the box enough. Does anyone have any advice beyond the usual look up, under, inside, etc. already posted on these forums? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

The ones we're not finding seem to mostly be described as well camod - I'm assuming that means well camouflaged.

Yes, they may be boxes covered with things like bark, cloth, or duct tape, or painted to match the spot. They might even be specially designed to be an object that looks like it belongs there. If it's a low-difficulty cache that has some finds, you can write to the Cache Owner for a hint (use their email address if listed). Once you begin to see various hide styles, you'll get better at finding.

Don't forget to go through all the logs. Usually, someone will inadvertently offer up some information you can use. Check the photo galleries, too. Sometimes I'll see a photo with someone near a cache that shows something in the background...a tree, a rock, etc. That'll put you in the right area. I went 2 for 5 today so I'll be studying logs and photos for clues.

Thanks, the advice is appreciated. We've tried most of the ideas, so maybe we just have to get more experience under our belts. We took advantage of the cool desert weather (only 100 degrees today) to go caching. Found four out of four micros. It's just those blasted camos that are hiding so darn well.

Thanks, the advice is appreciated. We've tried most of the ideas, so maybe we just have to get more experience under our belts. We took advantage of the cool desert weather (only 100 degrees today) to go caching. Found four out of four micros. It's just those blasted camos that are hiding so darn well.

You wanna trade places? I'm bushwhacking in the forests of Canada and you're in the desert! Keep on cachin' and good luck!

I have found one of the best tools for finding things like bison tubes or other small caches in trees or bushes is a good powerful led light. The cache will reflect light a little different then the rest of the tree and it makes them pop out.

I have found one of the best tools for finding things like bison tubes or other small caches in trees or bushes is a good powerful led light. The cache will reflect light a little different then the rest of the tree and it makes them pop out.

Even if you don't move your feet, move your head - sometimes you catch the cache out of the corner of your eye. If it hasn't been suggested, go to the Geocaching Topics section, and work your way through the thread "Cool Cache Containers" here's the link. Don't feel bad, some of hides are ingenious..or evil! After you log a DNF, you can always ask the CO if they feel like giving you a hint.

Good luck, and Happy Caching!!!