Loading caches on Oregon 550T

Just had a brief search on the forum, can't see anyone with the same issue, but if there are posts there already apologies for going over old ground!

Problem I'm having is that I load caches individually, as we have kids we can't really use a PQ as some caches just aren't doable by little legs.

So I select the caches I want and upload them one at a time, it works for us, and we can plan trips better that way.

But lately when I load caches up on the map and copy to GPSr we find that they're missing out in the field - in some cases I'll upload twice (get prompted to overwrite in the instance) but after (correctly) removing the GPSr and checking, they're not there.....

This dosen't seem to happen for all caches, just some, in some cases not all loaded in a session! I did have an SD card in the device, but took it out in case that was an issue.

There's nothing else connected to the PC (as I've had caches "loaded" onto a stick in the past) so can't see a reason why - wondered if I was being too quick closing the upload box?

Anyone have any wisdom to share??

cheers

Just had a brief search on the forum, can't see anyone with the same issue, but if there are posts there already apologies for going over old ground!

Problem I'm having is that I load caches individually, as we have kids we can't really use a PQ as some caches just aren't doable by little legs.

So I select the caches I want and upload them one at a time, it works for us, and we can plan trips better that way.

But lately when I load caches up on the map and copy to GPSr we find that they're missing out in the field - in some cases I'll upload twice (get prompted to overwrite in the instance) but after (correctly) removing the GPSr and checking, they're not there.....

This dosen't seem to happen for all caches, just some, in some cases not all loaded in a session! I did have an SD card in the device, but took it out in case that was an issue.

There's nothing else connected to the PC (as I've had caches "loaded" onto a stick in the past) so can't see a reason why - wondered if I was being too quick closing the upload box?

Anyone have any wisdom to share??

cheers

The missing cache bug strikes again!

I had the same problem you are describing, and there was no rhyme or reason about which caches would show up and which would go missing.

The only way I have found to avoid this is a bit tedious but it always works. While connected to the computer, I delete the old GPX files, then disconnect the unit and reboot it. Then reconnect it and add the GPX files you want back onto it. Works every time with no missing caches.

Another suggestion, PQ's are great, and you can set them to only return caches with low terrain and/or difficulty ratings if you want, or you could filter them with GSAK or using the 'Quick Filter' feature of your Oregon to eliminate caches with too high of a terrain or difficulty rating.

A few possibilities:

First, are the cache you are loading some distance away? If so, search for them by name and you may find that they're in there, just not displayed in the list until you get closer.

Second, how many gpx files do you now have in your Garmin/GPX folder? The limit is 200, and at least some users report that they are not warned if they exceed that number (it's a downside to NOT using a PQ).

Suggestion is to go ahead and use the PQ and filter them based upon terrain, setting it to 2 and less. Your Oregon knows how to do that.

Hi I just had the same problem. But in my case no GC were listed in the Garmin but the gpx files where all there on the card. Think this must be a problem in the newer software version since this did not happen to me last summer. I am using version 4.20/4.52.

I thought it was caused because I booted the Garmin once without the SD card.

If you find any soulution for this please post it here.

Svavar