Google+

antully

I was wondering if there were any Geocachers on Google+ yet so I can start my Geocaching circle.

You can add me to yours! :)

http://goo.gl/iBLSI

I just added you to my Geocachers Circle. I had 18 others already in that circle. When I was creating my circles from the "Find and Invite" suggestion list there were a couple of people that I had not previous followed on any Social Web app; Sergey Brin and Mark Zuckerberg. I created a circle and put both of them in it.

I was wondering if there were any Geocachers on Google+ yet so I can start my Geocaching circle.

You can add me to yours! :)

http://goo.gl/iBLSI

I just added you to my Geocachers Circle. I had 18 others already in that circle. When I was creating my circles from the "Find and Invite" suggestion list there were a couple of people that I had not previous followed on any Social Web app; Sergey Brin and Mark Zuckerberg. I created a circle and put both of them in it.

Sweet!

And when adding me and others, please let them know you are a cacher, because I dont want any muggles in my caching circle. ;)

I tried to sign up the other day but they're not taking on any new accounts right now. :(

Thats weird... If Google wants to be bigger than FB they should!

I don't know if Google wants their product to be bigger than FB, but I'm hoping that they want their product to be *better* than FB. So far I like it, and wonder if the performance would suffer if they made it open to everyone.

I tried to sign up the other day but they're not taking on any new accounts right now. :(

Thats weird... If Google wants to be bigger than FB they should!

I don't know if Google wants their product to be bigger than FB, but I'm hoping that they want their product to be *better* than FB. So far I like it, and wonder if the performance would suffer if they made it open to everyone.

According to the seattle times, G+ was designed to compete with FB.

In my opinion I think its better than Facebook right now. Besides Geocaching, I am going for a career in Photography and this site is more focused on picture oriented posts. Finding random people with similar interests. Instead of having to friend people, you can just follow them and place them in a particular circle you create. Like the one I created for Geocaching, I can put fellow cachers in there, and any posts, photos, blogs or articles that relate to caching, I can post to that specific circle and only those people in that circle of mine get to see it. It basically eliminates those stupid posts that people put on Facebook that nobody really cares about. Its more focused on sharing ideas and interests with more people than the ones you know. As a photographer this is really awesome, I've already got a photography circle with over 50 people in it that all have an interest in photography. Any time I want to post a High res photo that my friends have already been forced to look at by me I can specifically allow that photo or photo album to be seen by the people in my photo circle. There is a lot more than just that but this is the key to Google+

Right now it is still in Beta and yes it is invite only. So if you dont have a friends who is on that can spare you one please email me and Ill send one to you if I can.

They did the invite thing with gmail for a long time I remember.

And Google Wave too.

I was a really early adopter of Google (with their search engine) and participated in one of their early promotional campaigns. If you recall there has always been a "I'm Feeling Lucky" button under their search box which would just take you to the first hit in the results. As a promotional campaign, when the search engine just came out you could click on a link and get a free pair of "I'm Feeling Lucky" boxer shorts. I've got a pair that I never wore and have sometimes wondered how much I could get form them on e-Bay.

If anyone needs a G+ invite it look I've got a few I can give right now. PM me with an email address.

I've gotten perhaps a dozen emails since I signed up for G+ from total strangers. At first I added anyone who asked, but today I got to wondering what's the point? Who are these people? I just get a name. Are they geocachers? If so cool, but I might recognize geocaching account names, I know very few real names. Do I even want a circle of people I don't know, geocachers or not?

And then they invited me to sign up for G+ Mobile. Does anyone really want this on their phone? Why?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hey antully, I added you to my geocaching circle. You are in MA? I go there a few times a year on business. Are you going to the Watertown event on the 26th?

I need to go to my site there so making plans to include that event.

Yes! I definitely plan on being at that event, I cant wait to take photos! :)

Good marketing indeed ! Make a commodity scarce, accessible to a few selected individuals so they believe they are the chosen ones, will ensure a flood of customers once at last, they can join ! :rolleyes:

ANyway, good to have some competition for Facebook, just to have the banksters bit the dust considering the ridiculous value they gave to FB !

Good marketing indeed ! Make a commodity scarce, accessible to a few selected individuals so they believe they are the chosen ones, will ensure a flood of customers once at last, they can join ! :rolleyes:

I thought I had posted something about this early but I read a blog post this morning that indicated that Google Plus has surpassed 10 million subscribers. Not exactly "a few selected individuals". Oh, and their stock price opened 13% up from yesterday's closing.

I am on G+ david.qualey@gmail.com

Along with 10 million other people (from what I just read this morning).

To answer the query about what this has to do with geocaching?

As I see it, it's another form of communication between geocachers that can be used for anything related to geocaching. I'm hoping that my nearby Geocaching "club" gets an account. As of a few minutes ago Jeremy doesn't seem to have Google Plus. I just sent him a message on FB with an offer of an invite. If he joins, I'll add him to my Geocachers circle.

I'd like to see caching pics and adventure stories!

I'm enjoying G+ so far (more than FB) but, playing devils advocate, these forums are a pretty good medium for geocaching pics and adventure stories. On the other hand, there are things that you can do with G+ that you can't do in the forums. For example, you can create your own circle called "Geocaching" which includes anyone that is a geocacher and another called "Local Geocachers" which only includes those in you're local area then post/read messages targeted to the local subset. You can also exclude geocachers you have no interest in reading simply by not including them in one of your circles. With the mobile app (I just downloaded the iPhone app yesterday) you can filter the message stream by proximity. In other words, you can see pics and read meassages posted by geocachers that are nearby. Finally, you can create a "Huddle" with 2 or more people to collaborate on solving a puzzle, or for whatever reason you want.