Very first Geocache found

froggy74

Hi folks

Just wanted to share my good news and let you all know that I found my first Geocache yesterday.

The cache was called Goose Roost (GC1KQN0)and was based around Loch Leven in Scotland. Unfortunately we didnt have time to go searching for more but it was fun and I look forward to finding more in the future. I'm using an Iphone 4 with the geocaching app installed but think I might be more successful with a proper GPS so I'm thinking I might splash out on a Garmin Etrex

Anyway just wanted to share my good fortune and geocaching experience

1.jpg

Congratulations!

And there shall be plenty more successful hunts in the future! Thanks for sharing, reminds me on my really own first find ... ;)

By the way, I´m gonna be in Scotland for at least one year soon, too. So maybe the Goose Roost will be on my list too ...

Edited by FraenCache

Thanks for the lovely welcome

@eusty and Luvvinbird. I have looked at more expensive GPS devices but I think that I might be better trying to get involved as cheaply as possible, just in case I give up after a few months. I'll certainly look at other devices again though...........

Hi folks

Just wanted to share my good news and let you all know that I found my first Geocache yesterday.

The cache was called Goose Roost (GC1KQN0)and was based around Loch Leven in Scotland. Unfortunately we didnt have time to go searching for more but it was fun and I look forward to finding more in the future. I'm using an Iphone 4 with the geocaching app installed but think I might be more successful with a proper GPS so I'm thinking I might splash out on a Garmin Etrex

Anyway just wanted to share my good fortune and geocaching experience

1.jpg

Hello Froggy - I'm in Scotland too. :)

Anyway, thoughts on phones/GPS units - I'd hold fire buying a standalone GPS for now, if I were you - you'll find a smartphone can do almost everything you need. I started with a standalone GPS, but now almost exclusively use my phone, using the standalone when the phone isn't so good. Phones tend to be capable of more, due to clever software and internet connection, but tend to have two drawbacks - poor battery life and lack of weather/waterproofing.

Of course, whether you need long-lasting batteries and rugged waterproofing depends very much on the sort of caching you intend doing. Most of mine is fairly urban in not-particularly-challenging conditions, so I don't find my phone's limitations a problem most of the time, especially because I have a portable external battery pack to charge it up on the go if I need to.

Lee