"Purchase" decision

Hey everybody,

First time poster, just got started caching a few weeks ago.

So far I've been getting by just fine with c:geo on my Droid X2, although I realize I'm gonna have to switch over to the official app soon. It's been getting me to the caches for the most part, but usually if I'm in heavily wooded areas I'm getting +/- 40 feet accuracy for the most part. Obviously battery life and waiting on the thing to load maps when the 3G connection is slow can be frustrating. Sometimes it even "freezes" and doesn't update my position as I walk.

So here's my dilemma: I've got some Hilton rewards points burning a hole in my pocket and I'm down to a couple options. Option one is a Garmin eTrex. Would having a dedicated GPS like this really improve my caching experience that much? I figure I'm always going to be dealing with some accuracy degradation, but is the difference between a smart phone and an eTrex super significant? Are there any other advantages other than accuracy I need to think about? My other option is a nice new watch.

Which would you go with if you were in my shoes with somebody else's money to spend?

Edited by Phil0286

An etrex is a good little workhorse, the only issue is it's not paperless, but you could use your droid for the decription/hints etc and the etrex to get there?

Can you get a Dakota or similar with the points? Then you have a paperless GSPr :)

I recently started caching too and am looking to buy my first GPS :D I've been using the smartphone app which is paperless but given the fact it's not always accurate and doesn't always get satellite signal I always carry a map from the website with all of the caches in the area listed and the clues, this way you're not toatlly dependant on signal and battery life. It's not a perfect solution but my friend has the garmin etrex legend hcx and uses a map too, it works great :laughing:

I recently started caching too and am looking to buy my first GPS :D I've been using the smartphone app which is paperless but given the fact it's not always accurate and doesn't always get satellite signal I always carry a map from the website with all of the caches in the area listed and the clues, this way you're not toatlly dependant on signal and battery life. It's not a perfect solution but my friend has the garmin etrex legend hcx and uses a map too, it works great :laughing:

Garmin Oregon series has a $50 rebate. Woo-hoo!

Hey everybody,

First time poster, just got started caching a few weeks ago.

So far I've been getting by just fine with c:geo on my Droid X2, although I realize I'm gonna have to switch over to the official app soon. It's been getting me to the caches for the most part, but usually if I'm in heavily wooded areas I'm getting +/- 40 feet accuracy for the most part. Obviously battery life and waiting on the thing to load maps when the 3G connection is slow can be frustrating. Sometimes it even "freezes" and doesn't update my position as I walk.

So here's my dilemma: I've got some Hilton rewards points burning a hole in my pocket and I'm down to a couple options. Option one is a Garmin eTrex. Would having a dedicated GPS like this really improve my caching experience that much? I figure I'm always going to be dealing with some accuracy degradation, but is the difference between a smart phone and an eTrex super significant? Are there any other advantages other than accuracy I need to think about? My other option is a nice new watch.

Which would you go with if you were in my shoes with somebody else's money to spend?

You could always strap the eTrex to your wrist and use it as a watch. :laughing:

As long as it's one of the newer eTrex models (with an H in the name), you'll be fine for accuracy. I know several geocachers who use them. Yes they are not paperless but you can still load up the location info (suggest GSAK for this) and use the Droid for paperless stuff.

An etrex is a good little workhorse, the only issue is it's not paperless, but you could use your droid for the decription/hints etc and the etrex to get there?

Can you get a Dakota or similar with the points? Then you have a paperless GSPr :)

Unfortunately the etrex is the only hiking GPS I can get with points. Even then, it looks like I'd be spending around 110,000 points for a $200 GPS, whereas I can spend 150,000 points for a $350 watch. Starting to think I'll just buy an etrex. Or better yet, just stick it out with the Droid for now and ask Santa for a Dakota :lol:

I fixed the link in my original post, but here it is again. It doesn't mention being an H model.

I did just notice they have a Dakota available, but it would take a few more months of hoarding points to be able to afford it. And I want it NOW! :D

Edit: I've also realized the etrex doesn't have an electric compass, which I've gotten used to having on the Droid. I have a feeling I'd get frustrated by not being able to go completely paper/Droidless and end up getting a Dakota anyway, so I'll probably just buy one off ebay and go for the watch.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Edited by Phil0286