Is it possible to reserve locations when planing GeoTrails

Hi.

I'm planing a lot of caches of a GeoTrail. This is going to take a few months since I have limited spare time to work on it, and I want to have high quality caches. I already have the places selected, but still have to deside which are going to be multi caches, mystery or just plain regular. It's rely going to be petty if some of these locations will be taken up by someone else in the meantime. Is it possible to reserve the location, for example by submitting the cache without adding a lot of info about them. That way it's in the system but I'll add the rest of the info later on.

I tried contacting my local reviewer but haven't gotten any reply, and it's been over a week.

You are talking about a power trail kind of thing. You can fill out the form and save it without checking the is active box and the spot will be reserved. That does not go to a reviewer. However if someone tries to put one that conflicts with yours for distance it will raise a flag to the reviewer and they will probably give you a short time frame to get it in and activate it or you lose it.

Looking at it from a different direction...

Say you are finally all ready to put this cache series out, you've made your puzzles, got your ammo cans all stocked etc and hit submit to reviewer for publishing.

Reviewer responds "Sorry another cacher has 'reserved' this area. And while we really don't know when they might actually get around to putting out any caches, you can not put your caches there."

Would you be happy if it ended up that way?

I think you can get some time to work on a location by getting a cache page in the system and not releasing it. But still, contacting the reviewer is a good idea. The time frame is usually fairly limited.

I don't think that locking up a large chunk of land because you may hide some kind of caches some time down the road is fair to those who are ready to hide or seek caches now.

You could create cache listings for your selected points, but not check the 'Enable cache listing' checkbox until your cache(s) is/are in place. This effectively reserves the location...for a time.

The cache will not be entered into the review queue, but it will show up in a proximity search (for your reviewer) if someone else tries to place a cache nearby. If someone does want to place a cache nearby, you will need to place and enable yours within a short time. I don't know how long you will have, and I suppose it would depend on the reviewer.

Say you are finally all ready to put this cache series out, you've made your puzzles, got your ammo cans all stocked etc and hit submit to reviewer for publishing.

Reviewer responds "Sorry another cacher has 'reserved' this area. And while we really don't know when they might actually get around to putting out any caches, you can not put your caches there."

The cache with the lower GC code wins. Simple.

Thank you for all your help. I will do that. At least it gives me the headsup about anyone seeking the same location. Thins aren't very active here, so odds are, all the locations will be free for months to come.

Do you know what a Geotrail is? It's a trail formed by cachers who have trampled the area to make a visible path to the cache. Apparently you are talking about a trail which has geocaches on it.

Anyway good luck!

I think we have two different deffenitions of the word GeoTrail. Did you read this blog http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/05/geocaching-com-do-it-yourself-create-a-geotrail/

Thank you for all your help. I will do that. At least it gives me the headsup about anyone seeking the same location. Thins aren't very active here, so odds are, all the locations will be free for months to come.

Do you know what a Geotrail is? It's a trail formed by cachers who have trampled the area to make a visible path to the cache. Apparently you are talking about a trail which has geocaches on it.

Anyway good luck!

I think we have two different deffenitions of the word GeoTrail. Did you read this blog http://blog.geocachi...ate-a-geotrail/

In my experience, Sword Fern's definition superseded the other definition by years, and the newer one was most likely created by people with a rudimentary understanding of caching. But many words have multiple definitions, which are generally understood by context. If I'm out looking for a cache with somebody, and they say, "Look! I think that's a geotrail!" if I think they are referring to an organized series of caches placed along a trail, I need my head examined. Of course, I may need that anyway.

In my experience, Sword Fern's definition superseded the other definition by years, and the newer one was most likely created by people with a rudimentary understanding of caching. But many words have multiple definitions, which are generally understood by context. If I'm out looking for a cache with somebody, and they say, "Look! I think that's a geotrail!" if I think they are referring to an organized series of caches placed along a trail, I need my head examined. Of course, I may need that anyway.

Some may have suspected that for a fair while...

To me, a geotrail is that pathway off the trail where many geocachers have trod before. I used that theory quite well on our recent trip. "There's the geotrail in." "Gupy says to go this way." "No. Here's the geotrail."

Maybe it's all in whether or not it's geotrail or GeoTrail in usage. The capitalization chooses the meaning.

Aurally it would be up to pure context.

That said, I use the 'path leading to the cache' myself. A lot of caches along a pathway would be a series or in extreme a power trail.

Either way, it's not a good idea to trample 'ferns'. Do consider language as well as local usage. Not all are the same.

Doug 7rxc

Hi.

I'm planing a lot of caches of a GeoTrail. This is going to take a few months since I have limited spare time to work on it, and I want to have high quality caches. I already have the places selected, but still have to deside which are going to be multi caches, mystery or just plain regular. It's rely going to be petty if some of these locations will be taken up by someone else in the meantime. Is it possible to reserve the location, for example by submitting the cache without adding a lot of info about them. That way it's in the system but I'll add the rest of the info later on.

I tried contacting my local reviewer but haven't gotten any reply, and it's been over a week.

Sounds like the best thing is to release each cache as you place it, rather than trying to reserve the entire trail and send them all out at once.

You are talking about a power trail kind of thing. You can fill out the form and save it without checking the is active box and the spot will be reserved. That does not go to a reviewer. However if someone tries to put one that conflicts with yours for distance it will raise a flag to the reviewer and they will probably give you a short time frame to get it in and activate it or you lose it.

I have to ask, what's a power trail. I thought that was a series of caches in a row, each about .1 mile apart from each other. If that's the case, than what I'm talking about is not a power trail. They are scattered around the country in locations with a specific pop culture theme.

If I put up a cache page, but don't publish it, how much info can I change without the help of my reviewer. I guess I can change attributes, description. But can I change the size of the cache, a regular into a multi or changing the cords?

The cache with the lower GC code wins. Simple.

Maybe not so simple. I always have a few caches "in the works" with general coordinates plugged in (cache is not yet placed) as I develop the concept. Several times my local reviewer has contacted me, informing me someone has submitted a cache for publication that is too close to one of the in-progress caches. He asked if I planned on hiding soon or if I could free up the space. I have usually given up the space, since it was only a general idea, with no firm details. It has also worked the other way, where I submitted the cache, and someone elses in-progress cache was blocking mine. IN that case, the person never got back to the reviewer, so I was able to hide my cache.

If I put up a cache page, but don't publish it, how much info can I change without the help of my reviewer. I guess I can change attributes, description. But can I change the size of the cache, a regular into a multi or changing the cords?

If you write up a cache page, leaving it disabled, ie, unpublished, you can edit everything on it. Coords, type, size, description, attributes. Add waypoints, remove them.

I generally have half a dozen disabled unpublished cache listings. At the moment I have 3 where i've added a dated reviewer note, explaining that i DO want to hold the coords! (waiting on permits) another one that says that if someone else submits a nearby cache, ignore mine.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Anyway good luck!

I think we have two different deffenitions of the word GeoTrail. Did you read this blog http://blog.geocachi...ate-a-geotrail/

Oh gosh, this is getting confusing, and steering the thread off course. Yes, I'm guilty. :D "Geotrail", as used by the official Geocaching Blog in the posted link, would refer to entities that promote local tourism, and plan and implement a series of Geocaches, for which finders can usually earn Geocoins or other commemorative items for completing.

Looking to see where the OP is from, this would be like the Icelandic Tourist Board wanting to create a series of Geocaches. OK, I'm done, back on topic with all y'all.

Edited by Mr.Yuck