Beautiful cache containers that may not endure winter

Hello!

First I'd like start off by saying that I've only been geocaching since April this year. My experience and knowledge is therefor a bit weak in some categories. Hope you understand.

I have an idea of a great cache. The thing is, I recently bought a very good looking treasure chest (approx. 10x7x7 inches) on my visit in Croatia,and of course I want to make a geocache out of it. Since the chest is both quite valuable (at least hard to replace) and very beautiful, I'm concerned that it will keep in condition and not get stolen if I put it out in the wild.

I've found my perfect location aswell, it's a little beautiful lake in the woods where the myth tells that two men robbed a bank somewhere in the beginning of the 18th century and hid the money in a treasure chest in their little cottage in the woods. As time went by and people were getting closer to finding them and their chest, they threw the chest in the lake to get rid of all the evidence. And since then no one has ever found the treasure (of course :D) The cache and its description would been such a fun one, with the connection to the myth and all.

To my question: The hiding place I found is under a large rock in a cliff. I don't think the snow in the winter time would bother it, but what if it does? Since the chest is made out of wood, it probably would get damp and start to mold in a couple of weeks/months. My question is therefor, is it possible to temporarily disable a cache and go retrieve the cache as the snowy season comes, and then put it back and activating in the spring? To keep the container in perfect condition, instead of risking its life during winter?

Thanks for all help

Johan "Entracte" Hermansson

Arboga, Sweden

I've seen a few folks do that with high altitude caches during the winter. However, I think it would be better to find a way to keep the container safe by either coating it with something or placing it inside of something else.

And how will you feel if someone steals or ruins it? :shocked: Can happen and good chance it might. :sad: If it doesn't bother you then go for it, if it would bother you don't use it.

I like the idea of putting it inside something else.

maybe find a bigger plastic containter to put the chest in.

you could always temporarily swap the chest out for a lock and lock during the winter, that way you wouldn't have to disable it.

@captnemo:

Well, of course I'm ready for the loss of the chest if it happens. I will have it as a premium only cache though, and this lake is in the middle of nowhere really, with a hike of a mile before reaching it, so the only people that will see this chest is premium geocachers, and therefor I don't count with more than maybe 4-5 logs this year and after that maybe just a few per year..

@dorqie: That is an amazing idea. Since probably one or none will log it during winter, no point of the whole treasure theme is lost either!

The problem with putting the chest inside a large lnl is that this crack in the mountain is just perfectly sized for my chest, its probably even too tight so the chest can barely be taken out without beeing scratched on the edges..

it has been my experience that some reviewers will archive a geocache that has been disabled for "too long", no matter what the reason or season

and there are others that will be a little more flexible

so, you can take a chance with the disable strategy, and hope that you get an understanding reviewer

if not, you can just re-list the hide in the spring

(and hope that somebody else does not invalidate the spot by hiding another geocache too close to your desired coordinates)

@JorneyPilot: What am I gonna do with a wooden chest if I don't use it as a geocache? :D

It's not That valuable or rare, but it looks very cool and it does have that classic treasure look so it fits the myth just perfect..

A memento of your visit to Croatia...

Or buy yourself a pirate hat, sword, parrot and eye patch and play pirate :DB):ph34r:

@knowschad & Bhob

Thanks for the info, in Sweden we have really understanding and cooperative reviewers (don't know how they compare to other countries though) so I just might try that and then have the lnl-replace-idea as plan B if they don't like having it disabled from November to March (we got a long winter period in Sweden you know)

@JourneyPilot:

Hahaa, the second one was the only reason I could think of :D

I must mention that I did actually buy two more chests of the same type, but they are much smaller, so they would just maybe fit one travel bug besides the log book and pencil, and that isn't as fun as with the big one, but they definately would fit in a lock n lock of normal measures.. hmmmm

it has been my experience that some reviewers will archive a geocache that has been disabled for "too long", no matter what the reason or season

and there are others that will be a little more flexible

so, you can take a chance with the disable strategy, and hope that you get an understanding reviewer

if not, you can just re-list the hide in the spring

(and hope that somebody else does not invalidate the spot by hiding another geocache too close to your desired coordinates)

There's a cache very close to where I live that is in a gorge with a stone trail that runs down through it (about 1/4 mile long). The trail is closed every winter due to ice and snow (which increases the chance of rock slides in the gorge). The cache has been disabled every winter while the trail is closed...since 2003. I know that there isn't a precedent for new cache placements but if there is a solid maintenance plan I think most reviewers would be understanding.

For the OP...you didn't mention if the container is "finished". I've built kayaks that have to withstand being *in* water for quite a while and they're "waterproofed" using a two part epoxy resin, then varnished. Most wood kayak/canoe builders will sand and refinish their boats every few years. You might want to take the same approach with your chest. You could seal it pretty well with epoxy resin, then give a really nice shine with marine varnish. I've seen small wooden "treasure chests" at craft stores that you could get as a temporary replacement that you can swap in over the winter, then replace it with the refinished chest from Croatia (BTW, my wife is Croatian).

@NYPaddleCacher: Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this matter. I'm not sure this cache is good enough in itself to resist water after beeing treated in the way you mention, since it's built in a quite soft wood type, and is just painted/lyed(?) in brown. The chest is really light and actually quite fragile if you start bending or forcing the lid and its hinges. But some water resistance sealing with the appropriate fluid and technique might just add on a year or two to its life as a geocache :)

@sword fern & NYPC: Thanks, I'll do that before I put it out, regardless of its be or not to be in winter time.

Now it's really time to sleep here in Sweden (02:10 AM). Tomorrow when I wake, I'll upload a picture of the chests :)

Oh... Are you bummed out of swedens loss to japan in the semifinal? :)

@NYPaddleCacher: Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this matter. I'm not sure this cache is good enough in itself to resist water after beeing treated in the way you mention, since it's built in a quite soft wood type, and is just painted/lyed(?) in brown. The chest is really light and actually quite fragile if you start bending or forcing the lid and its hinges. But some water resistance sealing with the appropriate fluid and technique might just add on a year or two to its life as a geocache :)

My wood kayak is built of western red cedar, a very soft and light wood, so that shouldn't be an issue. However, since your chest is painted, that might prevent an epoxy resin from sealing the wood adequately. The chest that you got might not be the best choice for a container. However, you could maintain theme you want using a inexpensive wood chest like one of these. I've also found some really nice looking wooden cigar boxes that you can often get from a tobacco store that carries fine cigars. Some stores give them away or sell them inexpensively after they've sold the cigars. With a bit of sanding, and a couple of pieces of brass sheet from a craft store, you could make your own treasure chest.

Hey there! May I join with my thougts? Well, I will anyways ... ;)

I don´t think a (cheap) wooden chest would even survive long during summer ... fog in the mornigs or rainy days will probably provide enough dampness to make it soak, expand and fall apart in a few weeks if places without any protection. Maybe you can find a big enough "pre-container" to place it inside. (But please, no plastic bag ... ;) Makes me always sad when I find things wrapped in plastic bags somewhere outside ... ) This (additional box) might be not the most beautiful solution, but the one that keeps your little chest at a good state over a long period.

On the other hand, I´ve made the experience that sadly a lot of cachers aren´t treating the boxes and locations with regard. So placing it safe from natural influences doesn´t mean it will be save and enduring at all ...

But I really like the idea how you described it and was thinking about "treasure chests" for myself before. It´s your descision and I´m sure, if you place it you will cause some happy faces by one or another finder ... :)