Estimated time required to complete a cache

lonepetrel

I wouldn't think that'd be too easy to determine?

I go to the area I am going to place my first cache at very often. It only takes me 15 minutes to get there from my house, yet it's in a fairly remote area. Whoever comes looking for it will not make it there even close to that time, unless they have been there before and use the same trails as I do, which is very doubtfull. And I could not guess how long it will take them, depending on vehicle used, trail used, and speed of travel.

A lot of hiders will give hiking distance from a parking lot, but even that may be moot if the visitor takes a different route.

Then once your there, one person may take 10 seconds to find the cache, and another would take 2 hours.

That's what the logs do if you look at them, let you make an educated guess as how long it will take you.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

A lot of people already say how long it took them to complete the cache when they log it. More importantly though, the amount of time will vary widely. What is a 30 minute multicache for someone whop has found 50 caches may take four hours and multiple trips for a newbie.

The difficulty rating is supposed to give you a general idea of how tough it is to find a particular cache. There is a rating system that has a link directly off the "Hide a Cache" page. If you're not familiar with it, go check out http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/ The bottom section deals with difficulty.