Geocoinfest 2012

avroair

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls... it's that time again! To bid for the city for Geocoinfest 2012. If you have never attended a Geocoinfest, then there's one in the Charlotte you can try it out! If you would like to host Geocoinfest 2011 then you have come to the right thread!

Past Geocoinfests:

Twin Cities 2010

Salt Lake City 2009

Pittsburgh 2008

Temecula California 2007

It is now time to submit bids for Geocoinfest 2012, this is not a nominating or voting thread, this is for hosting the event, if you wanna host it, put together a team, a plan and a vision and then a bid. Pittsburgh put together a video showing off all the features of Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City did an interactive presentation... bids don't have to be that fancy, but they do have to be in by August 31st.

Some things people need to think about:

* these things take time to pull together, probably at least 7 months

* the Geocoinfest would be held in the fall, usually close to Columbus Day weekend

* the city needs to have an airport that is generally accessible

* the city needs to have nearby attractions rather than just the coins

* there needs to be ample hotels in the area, 3 coinfests have been hosted at hotels, but that isn't a requirement.

* the city should not be near other MEGA events locations

* we generally expect over 500-700 people (MEGA) so the actual site needs to hold at least that many

* there needs to be 2 (preferably 3) local coin coordinators, we need coin people, not just general cachers, due to conflict of interest issues any geocoin vendor is not permitted to be part of the bids or the committees

* need to work within a team environment

And the toughest requirement of all:

* you gonna have to work with me (avroair) so if you are fragile person then suck it up and deal with it! :P

Previous event organizers will receive each bid and vote on their merits under 10 criteria. Then re-vote for the two finalists. This will be done September 6. The winning bid will be announced at Geocoinfest 2011 Charlotte.

Edited by Eartha

Has anyone else signed up to be a vendor yet? I just sent in my payment and I am a bit nervous because this will be my first time flying with so many geocoins. I was a vendor at Geocoinfest 2011, but my wife and I went down together in the van. This time it will be me flying alone and the thought of dragging around a ton of geocoins makes me sort of nauseous. Does anyone have any advice?

Has anyone else signed up to be a vendor yet? I just sent in my payment and I am a bit nervous because this will be my first time flying with so many geocoins. I was a vendor at Geocoinfest 2011, but my wife and I went down together in the van. This time it will be me flying alone and the thought of dragging around a ton of geocoins makes me sort of nauseous. Does anyone have any advice?

Were I contemplating, I would get into contact with TheMoopAlong and Avroair who both seem to take large amounts of coins great distances. Have fun!!

Ship your stuff, don't fly with it. Someone from the GCF committee would accomodate your shipment as would the hotel.

I will be vending again this year after missing last year. See you there.

tsun

Ship your stuff, don't fly with it. Someone from the GCF committee would accomodate your shipment as would the hotel.

I will be vending again this year after missing last year. See you there.

tsun

Thanks for the idea! I did some very rough calculations and figured it would cost about $40.00 to ship the coins, although I neglected to add insurance. However, that does sound much more doable.