Montana v2.60 Available

Another bug:

Where-To? -> Coordinates -> choose the checkmark -> Pedestrian Walking

Then decide not not to, so hit the back arrow. It brings you to the same choices screen, but now the back arrow is green, and it's hung.

Solid hang, no keypresses except the power button will register. You have to power down to get out of the hang.

Me: "Why oh why did I trust Garmin again to do it right with a new unit?"

It seems MontanaBeta@garmin.com has gone silent, too. I have sent them regular updates and they responded the first couple times, but no more. I like to hope they are too busy fixing the problems to respond, but there's been no evidence of that so far.

Well, they did fix the compass calibration issue.

Yes, i also got email-response for my first mail.

But no response for the other bugmails.

Maybe they are on holiday? :rolleyes:

Reverted back to 2.5.

2.6 is just too unstable.

TIP: Make a profile and call it UPDATE. Enable this profile every time you perform a hard reset or update so if your profile settings are reset to default you don't have to spend 30 minutes setting it back up. The resets only clear out the active profile.

Edited by yogazoo

[quote name='yogazoo' timestamp='1310735362' post='4776335'

]TIP: Make a profile and call it UPDATE. Enable this profile every time you perform a hrad reset or update so if your profile settings are reset to default you don't have to spend 30 minutes setting it back up. The resets only clear out the active profile.

Great tip, thanks!

Edited by michaelnel

Another bug... if you don't have any photos stored, hit "Photo Viewer" button, then the menu button... poof, BLACK SCREEN power down.

By the way, don't try this with 2.50. I just did and it hung the machine so hard even the power button wouldn't work, and I had to remove the battery to recover from it.

I'm starting to think that the same guy who does all the beta testing for Magellan is now doing all the beta testing for Garmin.

I don't think it is that bad. I did every update on that garmin released for my oregon and their sure were some rough ones, but they will get it right. If you had wanted a smoother working gps I would have waited another year - that goes for all gps manufactures.

... I just did and it hung the machine so hard even the power button wouldn't work, and I had to remove the battery to recover from it.

If this might not help, remove the battery for 4 hours!!!

I had already the problem that the unit could not boot and the battery was removed for 10 minutes!!!

Removing the battery for 4 hours and it worked again!

Yes, but also your trick (I always depress the power button for a few seconds with the battery out to discharge any remaining power) did not help to reanimate the montana - only 4 hours of waiting.

It happened after i wanted to check the version and the unit crashed. (i tested it for 3 times, and then the power button did not work any longer).

Sometime you can get the software-version without a crash, sometimes not. (i wanted to see if there is a spezific crash-structure)

Edited by freeday

I heard from a Garmin developer this afternoon. They took a Montana configured like mine out to a waypoint and described the behavior as "disappointing". They had no problem with direct routing, but using the compass with City Navigator was "unusable". They "We will correct this". Another message from them said it WILL be fixed, and it is a firmware issue.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I heard from a Garmin developer this afternoon. They took a Montana configured like mine out to a waypoint and described the behavior as "disappointing". They had no problem with direct routing, but using the compass with City Navigator was "unusable". They "We will correct this". Another message from them said it WILL be fixed, and it is a firmware issue.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I went for a walk tonight and observed the crazy compass stuff you described in an earlier post. Glad to hear that Garmin was able to re-produce it. Odd that they never took one for a walk themselves!

Odd that they never took one for a walk themselves!

I find that pretty amazing too. Their software does have all the earmarks of something created by cube rats who never go outside. That would explain a lot.

I would think that the absolute minimum testing prior to release would include actually using the device in its most basic functional modes.

I tried the Open Street Maps routable maps this morning. They look pretty much like City Navigator in terms of detail, but without all the POIs. I tested the routing, and they show a reasonable route in terms of plotting it with the magenta line, and they do give the correct turn-by-turn directions, but the compass is just as wacko as with CN.

So it appears to me that the issue doesn't have anything to do with the map in use, but has everything to do with the compass.

This may affect other versions of firmware, but I discovered this last night after a short trip.

When routing using City Navigator (latest release), the dashboard does not properly account for time zone changes when computing the arrival time (like my Nuvis do). Once I crossed the time zone the arrival time was shown properly.

This may affect other versions of firmware, but I discovered this last night after a short trip.

When routing using City Navigator (latest release), the dashboard does not properly account for time zone changes when computing the arrival time (like my Nuvis do). Once I crossed the time zone the arrival time was shown properly.

Please report this issue to montanabeta@garmin.com. I will verify this issue and report it as well. Thanks!

Firmware 2.6 Caching Report

Just returned from a all-day geocaching trip where we found 19 caches. Auto navigation (don't have the mount yet) and cache compass dashboard worked as expected. No errors, lockups, shut-downs, bad routing, etc. Everything just worked. Did one multi-cache and used that feature and it worked very well too.

I too have experienced crashing related to profile switching and the auto-mount cradle. Some crashes and some failure to boot up fully.

Also if you play around with the altimeter page/dashboard long enough (switch to view barometric pressure plot, altimeter dashboard, etc) you'll experience crashing.

I think as far as v2.6 goes, the good folks at Garmin have the list and are working toward resolution. I'd expect a new version within the next week or two that addresses most of these problems. The Garmin Montana software team has been very responsive and great at communicating with users about their individual issues. You have to give them credit, even through the barrage of emails they receive from god knows how many people, they still manage to respond in a very personal way regarding your issues. I've never had such a user responsive experience quite like this with any GPS before the Oregon/Montana series. The fact that they have email addresses set up for each model and the fact that they actually respond to your emails (most of the time) is a great way to keep users from getting super ticked-off. I like this new model of interacting with concerned users and getting issues fixed.

Edited by yogazoo

Most of what I've done is strictly geocaching, so that may be why I've not experienced some of the reported issues. And my car cradle is on back-order so I've not used it with that yet. But I do have the motorcycle cradle and have used it twice for a couple of trips (no geocaching, just routing) and it worked well with the exception of one time it showed I was 5k+ miles away when it was actually less than 18 (using OSM maps and firmware 2.5 at the time).

I've had a Colorado 300, Oregon 400, Oregon 450 and now the Montana. The first few months with each of them was a challenge, but the other series are pretty rock solid now. Heck, the Oregon 400 deleted my finds so many times that I still write down them all when on a long trip or a big caching day, just to be on the safe side (fool me once...).

Here's hoping the Montana gets all of the bugs worked out soon! Got a big trip in six weeks... Need the Montana to be reliable (so far so good for me).

We'll be covering three new states which brings our total caching coverage to include D.C., Canada and 49 states. Just one to go after that. B)

We'll be covering three new states which brings our total caching coverage to include D.C., Canada and 49 states. Just one to go after that. B)

Your user name should be "Inter-Nashional". :laughing: . That's dedication! Groundspeak should give you a lapel pin or something once you hit all 50 states. :ph34r:

I just received my appointment to get the GC HQ cache in Seattle near the end of this upcoming trip. Maybe they'll throw us a party :laughing: .

Many people play this game many different ways and for many different reasons. For my wife and I, it's the adventure of seeing all the places this great country has to offer that we can. And so far, we've seen a little bit of a lot of it and we already have a list of places we want to go back to and spend much more quality time at later on in life.

We decided to do this just a few years ago. We should finish out our quest in April of next year when visiting Hawaii, which also happens to be our 10th wedding anniversary. :)

can anyone confirm this bug:

only 150 meters away from the target

but showing 5414 km (!!!)

M4vx1aAjX9.JPG

Meanwhile, Garmin told me, that they can confirm this bug. (also reported from different users)

But they need to reproduce this bug, and have therefore problems.

Does anyone know, how to reproduce this bug?

Edited by freeday

It's funny that Garmin can confirm the bug, but they can't reproduce it?

That would likely indicate that they have either received a fair number of screenshots as you see above, or have also experienced it in-house but have been unable to find a sequence of events that will reproduce it ... a programmer's nightmare. A programmer can set breakpoints in the code and work through it step by step and observe both the flow of the code and the results, but they need a sample case that will produce the bogus results.