Found Long lost Geocoin today

I looked up a letterbox near me online and someone had mentioned they had seen "a possible geocaching related electronic hitch hiker" in the letterbox. I'm a new letterboxer and my friend and I went out there today and found it...

Sure enough a beautiful geocoin. I don't know the reference number, only the tracking number, but it was ancalled Plumb69s American Caching Geocoin.

Last was logged Sept 2006.... in New York, only a month after being set into the wild. I found it in Sand Key letterbox in Sand Key Park, Florida. July 13, 2011. So almost 5 years later. Who knows how many letterboxes this thing has travelled through!

I emailed the owner and asked them if they wanted me to mail it to them (some people prefer not to send geocoins out) or put in another geocache. Anyway.... it's found now! :rolleyes::lol::)B)

Edited by FloridaFour

Hard to say. Last known geocache was New York. I found it in Florida. Letterboxers don't always note geocoins... And no tracking map. But the coin only hade a few hundred miles logged on it. It had disappeared after an event. The owner did contact me and say to set it free again, this time in a bag, and I added a small note to explain what it is.

Hard to say. Last known geocache was New York. I found it in Florida. Letterboxers don't always note geocoins... And no tracking map. But the coin only hade a few hundred miles logged on it. It had disappeared after an event. The owner did contact me and say to set it free again, this time in a bag, and I added a small note to explain what it is.

That is a beautiful story!

Here is a link to the Coin. Hopefully!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=694868

Great story. What was going on with the coin page while it was missing, isn't.

20 fake discoveries. The guy is lucky his coin page didn't get locked for abuse.

Great story yes. And not all that uncommon for Geocachers to find and sign a letterbox, and drop a trackable in it! I once found a Travel Bug that an old-time 2002 joiner held onto for about 5 years, and never logged it out of the cache he took it from. It was quite obvious who did it, but I just typed an enthusiastic "Wow, your TB has been found" log. :D

20 fake discoveries. The guy is lucky his coin page didn't get locked for abuse.

Now that's even more interesting than the found coin story!! Apparently the coin owner sanctioned this. There is a TB Hotel cache (which I just had to do a cache name look-up of after seeing several people mention it on the coin page), which contains this verbage:

If you desire you may place YOUR OWN "LOST" traveler in the cache for "eternity".

Log it into the cache then print the bug sheet for the traveler, write the TRACKING NUMBER and PLEASE "DISCOVER" ONLY on it then put the sheet into the cache.

BY RULE YOU MUST BE THE OWNER OF ANY "LOST TRAVELER" THAT YOU PUT INTO THE CACHE.

ULTIMATELY YOU THE TRAVELERS OWNER HAS FULL CONTROL AND MAY REMOVE THEM AT ANY TIME.

I can't believe such a cache is "legal", and people don't get their trackables locked. But hey, I'm not the Geocache police or anything, I'm not going to report it. :D

Now that's even more interesting than the found coin story!! Apparently the coin owner sanctioned this. There is a TB Hotel cache (which I just had to do a cache name look-up of after seeing several people mention it on the coin page), which contains this verbage:

If you desire you may place YOUR OWN "LOST" traveler in the cache for "eternity".

Log it into the cache then print the bug sheet for the traveler, write the TRACKING NUMBER and PLEASE "DISCOVER" ONLY on it then put the sheet into the cache.

BY RULE YOU MUST BE THE OWNER OF ANY "LOST TRAVELER" THAT YOU PUT INTO THE CACHE.

ULTIMATELY YOU THE TRAVELERS OWNER HAS FULL CONTROL AND MAY REMOVE THEM AT ANY TIME.

I can't believe such a cache is "legal", and people don't get their trackables locked. But hey, I'm not the Geocache police or anything, I'm not going to report it. :D

Not only did he sanction it, he owns the cache.

Yeah, I saw the whole thing about the TB lost coin hotel or whatever it is. Kinda don't understand even the point of it.... I'd have to see it, I guess. At first I thought someone had left just the paper with the GC code that went with the coin, and that the coin had gotten stolen/separated from it. For me, I would not want people "discovering" my lost TB's and coins. That's why I put in his log about the fake discoveries, because I didn't understand what was going on. But to each his own, I guess.