Pop-Up Ads???

VentureForth

Please tell me that Geocaching.com isn't now employing the ever-annoying pop-up ad! Maybe it's just an inkling of another site still resident in my browser or something, but it sure looks like I'm getting them when I log into geocaching.com.

Say it isn't so! Thought that's why the 'Charter Membership' was established.... Well, that and so that Jeremy doesn't have to eat frozen pizza... icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Please tell me that Geocaching.com isn't now employing the ever-annoying pop-up ad!

Geocaching.com does not and will not ever use pop-up ads.

The ads you are seeing are likely triggered by you leaving another site or perhaps on some kind of Javascript timer. I can assure you, they are not coming from us.

-Elias

I have to pipe in on this one.

Isn't it amazing? Now, sleezy popup advertisers are using timers to make you think their sites didn't send you the ad, yet they reap the financial rewards of waving this garbage in your face.

What a world.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I almost never get pop-up windows of any kind. I use the web filter Proxomitron to kill them on we pages. And I keep adware and spyware off my hard drive ith the above mentioned Ad-aware. icon_smile.gif Between my firewall, web filter, cookie manager and ad-aware I have a slightly more secure online experience.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

While it's not perfect, I've fallen in love with Mozilla!

In the preferences (no hacking required!) you can turn of popups, opening new windows, stupid scrolling messages on the status bar, resizing windows and all the other annoying things that sites like to do.

In addition (BIG ADDITION) is tab browsing. You middle-mouse click on a link and it opens up in a new tabbed window within the same mozilla client. (I've programmed another button, my thumb button,to close windows). I LOVE it when I'm reading the forums. You can open the Generel forum, Middle Click each topic of interest and by the time you are done chosing your topic they are downloaded and ready to read.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Try it out!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

Geocaching.com does not and will not ever use pop-up ads.

The ads you are seeing are likely triggered by you leaving another site or perhaps on some kind of Javascript timer. I can assure you, they are not coming from us.

-Elias

Careful.... there MAY be some day where geocaching.com may HAVE to resort to pop-ups, then where would your statement be? icon_biggrin.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

n addition (BIG ADDITION) is tab browsing. You middle-mouse click on a link and it opens up in a new tabbed window within the same mozilla client. (I've programmed another button, my thumb button,to close windows). I LOVE it when I'm reading the forums. You can open the Generel forum, Middle Click each topic of interest and by the time you are done chosing your topic they are downloaded and ready to read.

It also supports Mouse Gestures as an add-on. You don't even have to click the tabs to navigate. Just hold down the mouse button you've selected, and make the appropriate movement, and you can move back and forth between tabs, close tabs, and open new ones.

3608_1400.gif