Cross border caching

We are heading to Niagara Falls (Canada) next weekend and there are a few ECs right across the bridge and a few others we'd like to grab, but the kids passports haven't arrived yet so we can't all cross. I'm considering heading across for a couple hours but the experience will be dampened without the family.

My question: Have you crossed the Canada/ US border just for geocaching? What do you tell the border patrol you are doing? How do they recieve it?

Instead of getting into the whole billion dollar satellites to find tupperware conversation (not to mention crossing a border to find more tupperware) I was thinking of just saying I'm heading across to view the falls from the US side - but I don't feel comfortable "fibbing" especially to the people who rip vehicles apart for a living LOL...

I don't know about from Canada, but going into Canada and back to the States we only needed the kids birth certificates because they were under 18 and with us. We still needed our passports.

We just visited Canada last week and did some caching while we were there.

The more enthusiastic and genuine you are in describing your passion, the most honest you will come across. Bring print-outs of the cache pages, show them the digital photos you took at the Canadian side EC's. My guess is that they will tire of you talking about geocaching more than they will be suspicious of your geocaching.

Once, shortly after we started caching, we crossed into Canada to do some caching. When the Canadian officer asked why we were going to Canada I told him geocaching. He said "What is that?" I started to explain "I is a kind of hide and seek game using GPS..." His eyes started get that look as he cut me off and said "Go ahead." and waved me through.

Now days I just say "sightseeing." It isn't a lie. The sights I want to see are geocache locations. If you are getting those ECs at the Falls that is what you are doing.

A group of us took the long way to Geowoodstock this year, crossing over to the Falls to grab some caches, since a coupld in the group had yet to add Canada to their lists (we travelled via Buffalo for Wings at the Anchor Bar and Beef on Weck at Charlie hte Butchers).

At the Canadian checkpoint, the your female officer asked the usual questions. We said we were here for the day sightseeing. She then asked us how we knew each other (there were 5 of us in the van). We responded we are geocachers. She smiled, and I asked if she knew what it was, and she said yes. I then asked her if she geocached, and she laughed, saying yes she did! What are the odds?!

Last time we went into Canada it was for about 1 hour and we found 4 caches. Crossed the same point. The guy was more worried as to why we were using some teeny tiny backroad crossing instead of the Giant Interstate one 40 miles away then any questions about Geocaching or the mini length of visit.

Yes, I have crossed the US/Can border many times for various reasons, with and without children. Birth certificate will work for kids. Adults need Passport or Enhanced Drivers License. (Enhanced Drivers License is available usually to people who live in border areas.) One note of caution, If you cross the border with your kids but without your spouse, be prepared for a hassle. Bring a letter from your spouse (or the kids biological parent if you have remarried) stating it is ok for you to cross the border with the kids. My wife once crossed the border with our two girls but without me. The border agent threatened to detain the children! Fortunately he let her go.

At the border, just tell them you are sightseeing. You can tell them you plan on hiking some of the gorge trails (although it would be good to have a map of the trails you are planning on using).

Not Canada, but I crossed the US-Mexican border for two hours in 2008 to grab Tlaloc while I was attending a conference in Texas. I borrowed a bike, put it in the back of my rental car, drove down to the Amistad Dam crossing point, parked my car on the US side (too cheap to get Mexican insurance for the day) and crossed. I guess they must have asked what the purpose of my visit was, I think I just said I was going to go for a ride.

The nice thing was, of the four times I've been to Mexico and back, it was the quickest re-entry time back to the US I ever had, and that includes the time I walked over to Nogales. No lines + no trunk = no wait, I guess. It may have helped that I was within binocular range of the border crossing point almost the whole time.

I live (relatively) close to the border crossings in Niagara Falls. Just so you're aware, border crossings can be a total nightmare, especially heading in. Expect to wait, often well over an hour on weekends, just to get to the crossing. The Queenston-Lewiston Bridge is notoriously bad. You can check wait times here.

EDIT: When you're talking to the border guard, make sure you talk in terms they understand. Don't mention geocaching - just that you're going hiking or to visit the Falls.

Edited by foxual

Yes, I have crossed the US/Can border many times for various reasons, with and without children. Birth certificate will work for kids. Adults need Passport or Enhanced Drivers License. (Enhanced Drivers License is available usually to people who live in border areas.) One note of caution, If you cross the border with your kids but without your spouse, be prepared for a hassle. Bring a letter from your spouse (or the kids biological parent if you have remarried) stating it is ok for you to cross the border with the kids. My wife once crossed the border with our two girls but without me. The border agent threatened to detain the children! Fortunately he let her go.

At the border, just tell them you are sightseeing. You can tell them you plan on hiking some of the gorge trails (although it would be good to have a map of the trails you are planning on using).

Done the deed for Geocaching probably 50 times, and I'm doing it again on Saturday. I rarely mention Geocaching, and usually say hiking on the Bruce Trail (which usually isn't a lie). Of course that's U.S. ==> Canada, not the other way around.

Yes, the Birth Certificates are OK for the minors, and I assume the adults have Passports or Ontario enhanced Drivers licenses. If not, forget it.

And it doesn't sound like the case, but like Borst, I have on multiple occasions almost had my son taken away from me for crossing with him and without my lovely wife, whom I am still happily married to. I might be exaggerating "taken away from me" a little, but they definitely will interrogate you a little bit over that situation. :o

Calais, Maine to St. Stephen, NB, my sister said we were going geocaching. The guard said the nearest one was .17 that way, please park over there and come inside. Checked us out in the puter, noted that my nrother had worked in Ontario for six months. (I didn't know that.) That took a half hour. Returning to the US, took 45 minutes, and you could tell they had searched the car exoensively. (We had stopped at the motel on the way, and left mst of our stuff.)

Last week, we went from Detroit Michigan to Windsor Ontario on the Ambassador Bridge. "Just sight-seeing for the afternoon." No mention of geocaching. Crossing took 20 minutes. The return trip through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel took ten minutes. Again, no mention of geocaching.

Hmm... Hope to color in Quebec later this year!

I live (relatively) close to the border crossings in Niagara Falls. Just so you're aware, border crossings can be a total nightmare, especially heading in. Expect to wait, often well over an hour on weekends, just to get to the crossing. The Queenston-Lewiston Bridge is notoriously bad. You can check wait times here.

EDIT: When you're talking to the border guard, make sure you talk in terms they understand. Don't mention geocaching - just that you're going hiking or to visit the Falls.

Never saw that website, interesting. There's a Twitter account for Niagara Bridges (i.e. Lewiston-Queenston and Rainbow). I've only been following it for about a week, but it seems to "tweet" bridge wait times in both directions once an hour during daylight hours (doesn't seem to tweet overnight). Me, I'm going to turn on text message notifications for their tweets before my trip this weekend. If you're a Twitter person, worth checking out: @NiagaraBridges

Here are the rules from the Canadian Government's website. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s2x1

Identification documents required

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

Bringing children into Canada

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection. Children under the age of 18 seeking to enter Canada are classified as minors and are subject to the entry requirements set out under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

A more detailed examination will be conducted for minors entering Canada without proper identification or those travelling in the company of adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s). This additional scrutiny helps ensure the safety of the children.

Minor children travelling alone must have proof of citizenship. We also strongly recommend that the children carry a letter from both parents (if applicable) that authorizes the person meeting them to take care of them while they are in Canada. The letter should include the length of the stay and the address and telephone numbers of the parents.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status. If you are not the parent or guardian of the children, you should also have written permission from the parent/guardian authorizing the trip. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

Divorced or separated parents should carry custody or legal separation documents and/or a letter of authorization to facilitate their entry into Canada.

If you are travelling with a group of vehicles, make sure you arrive at the border in the same vehicle as your children, to avoid any confusion.

Edited by Andronicus

We come to the US a few times a year. We don't usually head over for less than a few hours, so a meal and sightseeing is the usual reason. Same thing on the way back. Once we stayed on the Canadian side of the falls (got a great deal on a hotel) and then travelled to the USA every day during a long weekend. We got some extra questions on day three, so we had to do a little more explaining, but it was fine. Besides, you have IHOP and we have proper Maple syrup! :P Tradesies?? :D

That's the Canadian rules for entering Canada -- you still need to get back home. Here's the US rules for that:

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

We come to the US a few times a year. We don't usually head over for less than a few hours, so a meal and sightseeing is the usual reason. Same thing on the way back. Once we stayed on the Canadian side of the falls (got a great deal on a hotel) and then travelled to the USA every day during a long weekend. We got some extra questions on day three, so we had to do a little more explaining, but it was fine. Besides, you have IHOP and we have proper Maple syrup! :P Tradesies?? :D

You can have ihop. Or at least the one near me. Worst service I have ever experienced. And then when the food did show up it was inedible. I left without paying after explaining to the manager that I was not accustomed to eating garbage served by a rude pig.

I just crossed into Ontario a few weeks ago and mentioned Spring Fling and geocaching and boy did the border guard get suspicious. He wanted literature, maps, etc. I told him it was all in an app on my iPhone, which made him more leery.

These guards, are not interested in Geocaching and talking about using multibillion dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods may make you sound more like a terrorist than a geocaching fan.

Next time, I am just gonna say that I am driving in to sightsee and get some tourist souveniers,

I crossed the Guatemala border specifically for a single cache. It would've been a 5-year FTF, but I knew I had little chance of finding it. What the heck, I went anyway.

160951f7-6e86-4f20-b0b4-8a10c2239c90.jpg

The border official didn't care why I was entering Guatemala. He was more interested in charging me US$2, which would've gone straight into his pocket. (I asked for a receipt, and somehow he forgot the matter.)

There are a few international multis in Tijuana (Mexico) / San Ysidro (USA), including this memorable one. Start in Mexico, find the cache in the US.

We cross into the states from Canada routinely at sumas, truck crossing, peace arch & occasionally into point roberts, with and without our daughter for any number of reasons ranging from a short vacation, shopping or geocaching. Always tell the border guards the exact reason why we're headed down (or coming back). Have never been hassled when geocaching was the reason (heh, when i went down to carnation for the previous geowoodstock, the guard just gave me this "another one" look and waved me through).

Passport for my daughter, EDL's for the wife and I.

I do miss 20 years ago going down to the point for cheap beer & gas. We didnt even have to come to a complete stop when crossing... <sigh>

I live near the border and used to, for a variety of reasons, cross the border with some regularity. In my experience they don't care as much about your excuse for going over but that you plan to come back and not stay.

In this case I would just state sightseeing and not get into any unnecessary details to expedite the process. No reason to make it all complicated after all. Border patrols near touristy areas like Niagara are used to it. Though I agree plan an extra long wait time at those touristy crossings.

the last time i checked, there is a multi cache that straddles both sides of the border near where I live. I haven't found it yet.

As for crossing the border... I ALWAYS get stuck. I eventually get through, but if you ever travel with me, add extra time at customs...

I crossed the Guatemala border specifically for a single cache. It would've been a 5-year FTF, but I knew I had little chance of finding it. What the heck, I went anyway.

160951f7-6e86-4f20-b0b4-8a10c2239c90.jpg

The border official didn't care why I was entering Guatemala. He was more interested in charging me US$2, which would've gone straight into his pocket. (I asked for a receipt, and somehow he forgot the matter.)

There are a few international multis in Tijuana (Mexico) / San Ysidro (USA), including this memorable one. Start in Mexico, find the cache in the US.

The receipt can be important. When we went into Guatemala, we saw people in front of us get charged, and then when they were pulled to another window, they were told that they hadn't paid, and they had no proof so they had to pay twice. What a racket. We made sure and got a receipt. :anibad:

Edited by Ambrosia

Actually, the racket is that there's no (official) charge to enter Guatemala. The border officers are lining their pockets, and asking for a receipt tells them you're wise to their game.

On an earlier occasion I walked across a border into Honduras. Four windows at a small building: Guatemala in and out, Honduras in and out; just visit the two windows that apply. Below the Honduras In window, there was an official sign that said, there is no fee to enter Honduras. Inside the same booth, on the wall behind the immigration lady, was a sign that said, entry fee US$3. That particular sign was made with felt pen on cardboard.

I just smiled and paid the three bucks; she was cute, and it did seem to expedite the process.

Calais, Maine to St. Stephen, NB, my sister said we were going geocaching. The guard said the nearest one was .17 that way, please park over there and come inside. Checked us out in the puter, noted that my brother had worked in Ontario for six months. (I didn't know that.) That took a half hour. Returning to the US, took 45 minutes, and you could tell they had searched the car extensively. (We had stopped at the motel on the way, and left most of our stuff.)

Last week, we went from Detroit Michigan to Windsor Ontario on the Ambassador Bridge. "Just sight-seeing for the afternoon." No mention of geocaching. Crossing took 20 minutes. The return trip through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel took ten minutes. Again, no mention of geocaching.

Hmm... Hope to color in Quebec later this year!

I wonder if the Russian, Chinese and Egyptian visas in my passport might have been the issue. Or maybe it was the Cuban we were traveling with. Who knows.

Actually, the racket is that there's no (official) charge to enter Guatemala. The border officers are lining their pockets, and asking for a receipt tells them you're wise to their game.

On an earlier occasion I walked across a border into Honduras. Four windows at a small building: Guatemala in and out, Honduras in and out; just visit the two windows that apply. Below the Honduras In window, there was an official sign that said, there is no fee to enter Honduras. Inside the same booth, on the wall behind the immigration lady, was a sign that said, entry fee US$3. That particular sign was made with felt pen on cardboard.

I just smiled and paid the three bucks; she was cute, and it did seem to expedite the process.

Yeah, the problem is they're standing between you and the other country, so what do you do? :anibad: We were just glad to make it into and out of Guatemala alive. :laughing:

We are heading to Niagara Falls (Canada) next weekend and there are a few ECs right across the bridge and a few others we'd like to grab, but the kids passports haven't arrived yet so we can't all cross. I'm considering heading across for a couple hours but the experience will be dampened without the family.

My question: Have you crossed the Canada/ US border just for geocaching? What do you tell the border patrol you are doing? How do they recieve it?

Instead of getting into the whole billion dollar satellites to find tupperware conversation (not to mention crossing a border to find more tupperware) I was thinking of just saying I'm heading across to view the falls from the US side - but I don't feel comfortable "fibbing" especially to the people who rip vehicles apart for a living LOL...

Go look at the falls from the US side, then you aren't fibbing.

Only cached in Canada once wile getting away from a family picnic for a hour or so. Since I live in WNY. We have the EDL witch is a PIA,, you have to keep it in a foil pouch because of the chip in it. I cant think of a cache called Eternal Flame in Canada but our friend Mr. Yuk owns this http://coord.info/GC10VMY cache

Thanks, now I don't have to post the link!! Yes, even though it says placed by "Szuchie and TWU" (TWU being an abbreviation for my old Geocaching handle), mine is the account who owns that Earthcache. It's been hit a crazy number of times by Geowoodstocker's in the last couple of weeks (maybe 60 miles from the site of GW), and I'm told the water flow is just a trickle, and the burning flame is barely visible on camera. This is the first summer I ever had complaints of "low" natural gas flow!!

Anyways, a good 30 miles South of, and a 45 minute one-way drive from the Rainbow or Lewiston-Queenston crossings. Did you want to go that far into the U.S.?

Only cached in Canada once wile getting away from a family picnic for a hour or so. Since I live in WNY. We have the EDL witch is a PIA,, you have to keep it in a foil pouch because of the chip in it. I cant think of a cache called Eternal Flame in Canada but our friend Mr. Yuk owns this http://coord.info/GC10VMY cache

That's the one!! Thanks Mr fan who cheers for the wrong team.

Go Leafs Go!!

I don't mind going that far in for a memorble experience :) It just depends on the timing of the other events we are in town for. (Our 6 year old's lacrosse tournament :) )

Well, if my Google Skills are sharp, looks like that Lacrosse Tourney won't be terribly far from the Earthcache. I'd say still worth the trip, even with a trickle, and the flame not as strong as in the past. Hopefully that's just a summer thing, although I don't remember it happening past summers. :)

Yep lacrosse tourney is in Welland, ON and we are staying close to Clifton Hill (Falls) so it's not too long a drive to the EC and a memorable one at that! Fingers Crossed on the timing :)

Good luck to your son in his lacrosse tourney. Lacrosse is really big in this town. The local high school team lost in overtime in the State championship this year, and Cornell always fields one of the best teams in the country. I have a cache that is based on Cornell Lacrosse and is located in a spot that provides a great view of where they play. Did you see Cornell attackman, Rob Pannel at the ESPY awards the other night. He was one of the nominees for Best Male College Athlete. He'll be coming back next year for his senior season.

I just started watching US field lacrosse this year as I found it flipping through channels. Nice to see it is starting to get TV exposure up here! Our kids play what is called "box" lacrosse or "indoor" lacrosse which is played in arenas. Our little guy who is 6 happens to be playing this tournament. We're all looking forward to it! We want to go to an NCAA game someday and if it is at Cornell I'll be sure to grab some caches in the area including yours ;)