What do you all do with your full log sheets?

My first cache (GC2MX8V) has finally had the first log sheet filled and I had to replace it tonight.

Out of interest, what do all you cache owners do with your logsheets once they're full? I know they're just a piece of paper in most cases but with such a massive following, I figured that maybe some geocachers "collect" them or something, maybe?

What do you think?

Any full log sheets or books that come out of our caches get dropped into a box underneath my desk where they get in the way for about a year and then final get thrown out.

MrsB :D

Lol, that's definitely one option! I thought I might just scan it and add it as an attachment to the cache as a sort of 'momento', if that makes any sense. :-)

I haven't hide any caches yet, but I definitely won't trow them away.

I'll use something like this so that I can stock them up. It helps if you always buy the same kind.

25184size1.jpg

I'm finding the hiding of caches more fun than finding them, in a lot of ways. It's a different kind of satisfaction, especially when you successfully hide one that's relatively difficult.

I'll use something like this so that I can stock them up. It helps if you always buy the same kind.

25184size1.jpg

I love finding a cache with a nice logbook in it. If it's in an area where there aren't lots of people around, and there's a place to sit, I'll write enough to fill up a page.

But I've seen a lot of damp logbooks, even in quality containers. I looked at nicely bound books like the one in your picture, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on something that is very likely to end up wet and moldy.

25184size1.jpg

I love finding a cache with a nice logbook in it. If it's in an area where there aren't lots of people around, and there's a place to sit, I'll write enough to fill up a page.

But I've seen a lot of damp logbooks, even in quality containers. I looked at nicely bound books like the one in your picture, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on something that is very likely to end up wet and moldy.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar looking hardbound notebook at the dollar store. There are lots of nice choices at Dollarama. I've even seen knock-off moleskine notebooks with suede covers - if you didn't know it was from the dollar store you'd think it was at least a $10 dollar purchase.

Edited by Lone R

I've heard of people making "log cabins" by rolling log sheets and/or pages of a log book into tubes, and then gluing those tubes into a log cabin shape. Then you can coat the whole thing with polyurethane, attach a TB tag, and send it on its way...

Lol, that's definitely one option! I thought I might just scan it and add it as an attachment to the cache as a sort of 'momento', if that makes any sense. :-)

+1 I think this is probably what I'll do when I start hiding.

That's actually a really good idea. Also a good way for other cachers that look at the attachment to hold others accountable for signing or not signing the log!

I just toss mine....

Then shouldn't you get GS to change the rules? Why should anyone need to write about their find if you are just going to toss the log sheet? Why not get them to change it to "sign your name and date the log" instead?

Aw, c'mon... are you trying to tell us that you "write about your find" every time you find a film can or a bison tube? Or do you just leave your initials and date like everybody else?

I just toss mine....

Then shouldn't you get GS to change the rules? Why should anyone need to write about their find if you are just going to toss the log sheet? Why not get them to change it to "sign your name and date the log" instead?

Aw, c'mon... are you trying to tell us that you "write about your find" every time you find a film can or a bison tube? Or do you just leave your initials and date like everybody else?

Most cachers probably just sign and date. But, the "rules" keep being brought up. And the "rule" that is used to support deletion of logs without sigs states that you "write about your find".

I'm just wondering why anyone should write about their find if owners are throwing the logs away. It seems like the "rules" should be amended to "sign and date". Otherwise, there are a lot of online logs that could technically be deleted for not following the "rules"

Most cachers probably just sign and date. But, the "rules" keep being brought up. And the "rule" that is used to support deletion of logs without sigs states that you "write about your find".

I'm just wondering why anyone should write about their find if owners are throwing the logs away. It seems like the "rules" should be amended to "sign and date". Otherwise, there are a lot of online logs that could technically be deleted for not following the "rules"

From Section 3.1 of the guidelines:

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

It does not say anything about write about your find. I choose to write about my find online where the owner and anyone else can read about my experience instantly.

Back On Topic: I have not had to remove any logs yet. I assume I will verify some finders, try to figure out who some of the people who found it but did not log it online are, and then recycle them. Unless I get something really special then I might scan it for prosperity.

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

It does not say anything about write about your find. I choose to write about my find online where the owner and anyone else can read about my experience instantly.

Back On Topic: I have not had to remove any logs yet. I assume I will verify some finders, try to figure out who some of the people who found it but did not log it online are, and then recycle them. Unless I get something really special then I might scan it for prosperity.

Then where in the heck is this guy getting his information?

I use to think that you had to sign the log, but nowhere in the guideline does it say you HAVE to...

OMG, How many times do we have to refute this myth?

"Geocaching > Guide

Guide to the Game

What are the rules of geocaching?

If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

Write about your find in the cache logbook.

Log your experience at www.geocaching.com."

Hmmm there are a ton of varied and interesting responses, that's for sure.

Thanks to everyone that responded. :)

By the way, I can see the apparent attraction in keeping log *books* if they have some cool stories in them but this particular example is a micro cache and literally only has a log *sheet* about 20mm wide and 200mm long.

I've got a few pages from logbooks in a frame - funny ones, unusual ones. The rest of them are in a shoe box.

Pitiful disrespect. :mad:

ALL the old log from my caches are respectfully deposited in an AMMO CAN! :P

:o Have you hidden the ammo can as a cache? If not, that's a great idea haha.

I'm going to do that and call it ... ummm ... *thinks* ... "The Cache of Memories". :-P

I've got a few pages from logbooks in a frame - funny ones, unusual ones. The rest of them are in a shoe box.

Pitiful disrespect. :mad:

ALL the old log from my caches are respectfully deposited in an AMMO CAN! :P

Actually, I was going to decoupage the outside of an ammo box with all the ones I had. I did something like that before with newspaper and clear coat, and it was good camo until someone snagged it. :(

I use to think that you had to sign the log, but nowhere in the guideline does it say you HAVE to...

"Geocaching > Guide

Guide to the Game

If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

Where is he getting his information from? I have no idea. :P

Actually my best guess is that it is a direct quote from a geocaching promo video or poster, which are not very particular about word choice for the sake of simplicity.

There are very few geocaching "rules". There are just "guidelines". Anything you would call a rule (i.e. no private property caches without permission, no caches on school property) would most likely be categorized as "Common Sense".

"Geocaching > Guide

Guide to the Game

He's getting that quote from the "Finding Your First Geocache" page. Toz has a great reply to that post in the original thread.

Hmmm there are a ton of varied and interesting responses, that's for sure.

Thanks to everyone that responded. :)

By the way, I can see the apparent attraction in keeping log *books* if they have some cool stories in them but this particular example is a micro cache and literally only has a log *sheet* about 20mm wide and 200mm long.

I occasionally photograph logs. I maintain one, look out for another, and from time to time find wet or damaged logs that I attempt to salvage. I find that with digital pics you can work them with an image editor, enhance bad or faded writing, then crop the strips and merge them into one image or a few for larger logs. You can still read them mostly, even when size reduced on the monitor. This is a good way to deal with micro logs and nanos.

The result is something that can be sent to the owner of the cache if needed or simply stored somewhere convenient in the computer or on disc... or on a storage site. The idea of saving a specific, well written log excerpt is easy to. It can be blown up in size, and printed for display purposes, but lately I'm not seeing many that would warrant that. But some of the older caches I've been reading about, there would be lots of examples I'm sure.

Doug 7rxc

I just toss mine....

That is what most geocachers do... they sign and date the paper log. Write about your finds in the electronic log.