Naturally Destroyed Caches

delphic

Got a log on one of my night caches (now archived) a few days ago saying that there was forest fire damage in the area. Now, I knew a fire had come through a couple of years ago and the cache survived just fine so I assumed the log was referring to the old fire scars...not so much.

Today I archived the cache because I learned that the public land was recently sold to a private party. This evening I went out to collect my Firetacks and retrive the cache. This is what I found:

33cspsg.jpg

1z6ctba.jpg

You can see that the log book survived in a somewhat recognizable form. Other then that, everything was charred to dust. You can also see 3 springs...the only survivable remains of the pens.

So...what sort of natural destruction has killed your caches?

Got a log on one of my night caches (now archived) a few days ago saying that there was forest fire damage in the area. Now, I knew a fire had come through a couple of years ago and the cache survived just fine so I assumed the log was referring to the old fire scars...not so much.

Today I archived the cache because I learned that the public land was recently sold to a private party. This evening I went out to collect my Firetacks and retrive the cache. This is what I found:

33cspsg.jpg

1z6ctba.jpg

You can see that the log book survived in a somewhat recognizable form. Other then that, everything was charred to dust. You can also see 3 springs...the only survivable remains of the pens.

During a lunar eclipse one of my caches was washed away due to record high tide.

Just curious, how did you find the container?

Considering a big forest fire is devastating Parts of arizona and New mexico, which the cache was in, it was my first guess the cache was in one of the two states. Sorry what happened to the ammo can.

Well, not a natural disaster, but a clearing. I had placed my cache in a trail place when a few days later the area was cleared. Some finders stated that but prevailed in finding it. It still is in very good shape.

During a lunar eclipse one of my caches was washed away due to record high tide.

Just curious, how did you find the container?

About half of my fire tacks were where I left them, and the container was exactly where it should have been. :)

Edited by delphic

I've lost caches to bulldozers twice. Unnatural.

Lost 1 to landslide.

Lost 1 to gopher hole. (found later)

Lost 1 to fallen boulder.

Lost 7 to various floods.

Lost 1 to wind.

Lost 1 to lightning fallen tree.

Suspect I lost 2 to unknown animals taking them.

Lost 2 to rabbits chewing them.

Lost 1 to landslide.

Lost 1 to wind.

So, did that gopher log a find or a DNF? :lol:

Edited by sword fern

Not exactly destroyed, as I recovered the container intact, but a mess, and have cleaned it up with the intent of using it somewhere else, but I had a cache that was in a flood plain along a local river, and it was filled with mud and water and the contents were wet (although the log book was mostly dry), and the outside was caked in mud. It's disabled right now, but I have the replacement cache container ready to go, I just need the opportunity to deliver it. I'm switching to a smaller container, and plan to hang it in one of the trees in the area to avoid further flooding problems.

Edited by Dgwphotos

I have had two made inaccessible by moving rocks. One was on a man made hill that just settled a bit. Didn't really matter much as the area is now flat and paved. The other one was in a crevice under a large rock. After a series of DNFs, I went up to check on it and found the rock had settled down to ground level and the crevice was about 1/2 inch wide. It is still there for anyone that can lift a few tons, but the more accessible replacement is nearby.

Lost 1 to landslide.

Lost 1 to wind.

Really funny story, the cache was located under a largish rock with a natural concave shape that the cache fit nicely in. It got reported as missing. I went to check and sure enough I could not find it anywhere nearby - so i put out a replacement. About 2 years later, that cache got reported as missing. I found the rock knocked oabout 5 feet from where it was and large amounts of fallen leaves under the tree. I decided to 'rake' the leaves around with my hands a bit to try and find the cache. As I was doing that, my foot collapsed into a gopher tunnel about 1 foot below ground and I fell hard and twisted my foot a bit. As a slowly pulled myself up and pulled my foot out, I kicked against something hard. A moment of digging later, I found the original container and a handful of other 'trinkets' along with dried grass that the gopher had pulled down into its burrow. Two years underground. Its back out and has stayed for several more years.

Lost 1 to landslide.

Lost 1 to wind.

Really funny story, the cache was located under a largish rock with a natural concave shape that the cache fit nicely in. It got reported as missing. I went to check and sure enough I could not find it anywhere nearby - so i put out a replacement. About 2 years later, that cache got reported as missing. I found the rock knocked oabout 5 feet from where it was and large amounts of fallen leaves under the tree. I decided to 'rake' the leaves around with my hands a bit to try and find the cache. As I was doing that, my foot collapsed into a gopher tunnel about 1 foot below ground and I fell hard and twisted my foot a bit. As a slowly pulled myself up and pulled my foot out, I kicked against something hard. A moment of digging later, I found the original container and a handful of other 'trinkets' along with dried grass that the gopher had pulled down into its burrow. Two years underground. Its back out and has stayed for several more years.

Thats not something you hear everyday...

I have a cache that wasn't destroyed but it was located under a metal railing that was repainted, along with the cache container. There's a nano cache hidden on an old steam train nearby that was placed a couple of years ago. About a week after it was placed the train was completely repainted (black) before the cache got it's FTF.

The final to one of our sudoku caches was a micro in a perfect tree hole, which was apparently some critter's home -- it kept gnawing it and knocking it onto the ground. I ended up archiving it after a couple months.

Lost one to rogue lizards[scar®y 9 9 9] - Replaced

OK, there's GOT to be a story behind this.

I have a cache that wasn't destroyed but it was located under a metal railing that was repainted, along with the cache container. There's a nano cache hidden on an old steam train nearby that was placed a couple of years ago. About a week after it was placed the train was completely repainted (black) before the cache got it's FTF.

Bet those were the best camo jobs on a cache you have ever had, eh?

Bet those were the best camo jobs on a cache you have ever had, eh?

The one on the train isn't mine, and it took me four attempts and over three hours of searching to find it. Actually, it wouldn't have mattered if it was painted. It was in a spot such that you had to find it by feel. The other one is actually missing (currently disabled). I've got a replacement container and found some paint that matches the color of the railing. It's got a pretty good hint that narrows down the search area to about 6 feet. It's not intended to be a difficult find. It's in a unique location and there is a great view from the cache.