When to mark a TB missing?

Team Hangman

I've had this same problem with a travel bug motel that i own. There were 5 travle bugs all missing still in the inventory. After about a month i logged them all as missing. I got emails from the owners of 3 out of the 5 missing. 2 just asked if i could visit my cache and verify that they were not there and i gladly did. But 1 guy deleted my missing log, thus putting the travle bug back into my caches inventory. I again logged the travle bug as missing and put an explanation of why i was marking it as missing. The guy sent me a pretty snotty email asking why i was marking his travle bug as missing and asked me how i would like it if he marked my cache as needing archived. which makes no sense, its not the same thing. I emailed him back explaining what it ment to mark a travel bug as missing and as a cache owner, its part of the responsibilities and upkeep. in my opinion anyways. I dont want people going to my cache for travle bugs if they arnt actually there. well i guess the guy didnt see it that way and "virtually" grabbed the travle bug from my cache and posted a snotty note on his travle bug page about why he grabbed it.

pretty much after that i got turned off from even dealing with travel bugs and now im thinking about archiving my TB motel. Its a good hide and gets plenty of travelers (its at an interstate exit) but i stopped marking missing travel bugs.

oh btw, the last i looked at the guys TB page. He was "virtually" dipping it in almost every cache that he visited. Guess it never did turn up. Im thinking a nOOb took all 5 travel bugs that went missing.

I've had this same problem with a travel bug motel that i own. There were 5 travle bugs all missing still in the inventory. After about a month i logged them all as missing. I got emails from the owners of 3 out of the 5 missing. 2 just asked if i could visit my cache and verify that they were not there and i gladly did. But 1 guy deleted my missing log, thus putting the travle bug back into my caches inventory. I again logged the travle bug as missing and put an explanation of why i was marking it as missing. The guy sent me a pretty snotty email asking why i was marking his travle bug as missing and asked me how i would like it if he marked my cache as needing archived. which makes no sense, its not the same thing. I emailed him back explaining what it ment to mark a travel bug as missing and as a cache owner, its part of the responsibilities and upkeep. in my opinion anyways. I dont want people going to my cache for travle bugs if they arnt actually there. well i guess the guy didnt see it that way and "virtually" grabbed the travle bug from my cache and posted a snotty note on his travle bug page about why he grabbed it.

pretty much after that i got turned off from even dealing with travel bugs and now im thinking about archiving my TB motel. Its a good hide and gets plenty of travelers (its at an interstate exit) but i stopped marking missing travel bugs.

oh btw, the last i looked at the guys TB page. He was "virtually" dipping it in almost every cache that he visited. Guess it never did turn up. Im thinking a nOOb took all 5 travel bugs that went missing.

As a TB hotel owner you should be a bit more attentive to your guests. You invited them with the offer of a 'good' location to place bugs. As for the details I'd have to know which bugs had a problem.

As a TB hotel owner you should be a bit more attentive to your guests. You invited them with the offer of a 'good' location to place bugs. As for the details I'd have to know which bugs had a problem.

TB hotels are just as safe as anyother cache. As the owner, theres nothing i can do to make sure that everyone who takes a TB logs it.

TB hotels are just as safe as anyother cache. As the owner, theres nothing i can do to make sure that everyone who takes a TB logs it.

Not even close. You advertised that your cache would be a good place to put a traveler. How does that make it like any other cache?

Not even close. You advertised that your cache would be a good place to put a traveler. How does that make it like any other cache?

I'm not sure what you would want him to do about it. He already said it's a good hide. It's not like he's going to install security cameras on it. S*** happens. TB's get taken by noobs. It's not like it's bradley's fault.

I'm not sure what you would want him to do about it. He already said it's a good hide. It's not like he's going to install security cameras on it. S*** happens. TB's get taken by noobs. It's not like it's bradley's fault.

Good question. What makes any cache a good TB hotel? A responsible owner would be a start. Apparently that doesn't seem to be a concern for some people.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Good question. What makes any cache a good TB hotel? A responsible owner would be a start. Apparently that doesn't seem to be a concern for some people.

I'd say a good TB hotel is any cache next to a route of far-going traffic (interstate exits, near airports, etc), that is hidden from public view and has an owner that does maintenance (which includes logging missing TBs as missing).

Bradley's cache seems to have each and every one of those things. Anything you would like to add?

How do you get that im an irresponsible cache owner out of what i posted? all i was doing was sharing a personal experience with the OP and you got way off topic as it is.

Perhaps you should share what you think a safe TB hotel would be and how I, as the TB hotel owner, could be more "attentive" to my guests as you put it. Turndown and roomservice maybe?

I really dont see how to make a TB hotel anysafer unless you want a TB fort knox with 24/7 armed security, holding a gun to anyones head making them log the TB right then and there and maybe a sniper across the way on a grassy knoll just in case anyone gets away.

I think one way to make TB Hotels safer for travelers are to make them Premium Members Only caches. I've lost WAY too many coins from supposedly "safe" hotels. They are a beacon to coin/bug thieves who can steal them in batches when the cache is not being monitored very often.

I've never lost a coin from a PMO cache. It isn't failsafe, but it does seem to help.

Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by ThePetersTrio
all i was doing was sharing a personal experience with the OP and you got way off topic as it is.

I answered the question. You thought to share a personal experience and I responded to you. So let's spread around that off-topic responsibility a bit more evenly.

If you place a cache with the advertisement that it is a place to put travel bugs, not that you put a large container, not that it has easy access, not that people find out on their own it's a handy place to drop a bug, you said 'Hey people, this is where you can put your bugs', you took on responsibility that it is in fact a good place to put a travel bug. It is in no way just another cache.

edit: clipped a couple words and had to replace them

Edited by BlueDeuce
all i was doing was sharing a personal experience with the OP and you got way off topic as it is.

I answered the question. You thought to share a personal experience and I responded to you. So let's spread around that off-topic responsibility a bit more evenly.

If you place a cache with the advertisement that it is a place to put travel bugs, not that you put a large container, not that it has easy access, not that people find out on their own it's a handy place to drop a bug, you said 'Hey people, this is where you can put your bugs', you took on responsibility that it is in fact a good place to put a travel bug. It is in no way just another cache.

Wow man are you high? you never answered any question that warturtle or myself have asked you. all you did was call me an irresponsible cache owner. How can I,as the TB hotel owner make my cache any safer for TBs? My cache has never been muggled or stolen. any Tbs that have gone missing out of my cache have been to members not logging them. Bluedeuce? more like BlueDOUCHE.

Edited by bradley0130

I think one way to make TB Hotels safer for travelers are to make them Premium Members Only caches. I've lost WAY too many coins from supposedly "safe" hotels. They are a beacon to coin/bug thieves who can steal them in batches when the cache is not being monitored very often.

I've never lost a coin from a PMO cache. It isn't failsafe, but it does seem to help.

Thanks for reading. :)

Good idea. I never even considered making it a PMO. Thanks for some positive feedback.

Wow man are you high? you never answered any question that warturtle or myself have asked you. all you did was call me an irresponsible cache owner. How can I,as the TB hotel owner make my cache any safer for TBs? My cache has never been muggled or stolen. any Tbs that have gone missing out of my cache have been to members not logging them. Bluedeuce? more like BlueDOUCHE.

If your cache is no safer than any other cache you shouldn't be telling people that it's a place to exchange travel bugs.

If your cache is no safer than any other cache you shouldn't be telling people that it's a place to exchange travel bugs.

Stop avoiding the question. Yes, it would be nicer for it to be safer. But how can it possibly be safer?

I wasn't just sayin my cache wasnt any safer than any other cache. ANY TB hotel is just another cache. A TB hotel is just a cache named as a hotel to atract TBs, often near a place of long travel (interstates, airports, this has all been stated). Sorry if we're bursting your magical bubble that you have been in. I guess maybe you own exlusive 5 star limited access TB resorts? As Warturtle stated, How could someone possibly make them any safer? My cache has never even been muggled as i stated. Gets plenty of visitors and nothing but good logs. I do regular maitenece, used to report missing TBs untill I got the snotty email from one TB owner. I was just sharing a personal experience with the OP about the original topic. Then here you come blasting me and saying im an irresponsible cache owner?

Oh, sorry for the inappropriate name, I just call 'em like I see 'em. I know you probably think your empowered over everyone else in the forum because you have almost 20,000 posts, but that doesnt give you the right to be a douche.

As someone who has a fair amount of coins out traveling, I don't like it when COs prematurely move my coins to missing. Sometimes folks are on vacation and can take a few weeks to get caught up on logging, etc. Please give them at least 30 days before taking any action.

As a cache owner, after verifying the coin is not in the cache with my own eyes (or with a log note from a cacher I know and trust), I would send the TB/coin owner a note, telling them their traveler isn't actually in my cache and I will mark it missing if they do not do so themselves within another 2 weeks.

It is just common courtesy, IMHO.

Back to OT. Anyone else ever have problems when logging Tbs as missing in your owned caches? I agree with OP, I don't want TBs as beeing listed in my cache if they are not actually there.

The topic is When to mark a TB missing?. 30 days hath September, in my opinion. Just something I've learned after almost 20,000 posts.

As the CO how long after you know that the TB are not in your cache would you wait to mark them missing on the TB listing. I would rather not have my cache showing TB's that are not actually in it.

As a cache owner, I will verify that the trackable is missing. Then I like to go one step further, I back track through the logs and send notes to those who have logged a find since that trackable was last accounted for and nicely ask them if they saw/grabbed that particular trackable and forgot about it. This method has recovered a few trackables and the cachers that had them were all grateful for the reminder. If, after that, nobody admits anything or responds, I will log it missing and send the owner a note explaing that I tried to find it but sadly could not.