When to log a DNF

FCStech

I would like to open a discussion on when you decide to log a DNF. Do you log it for every cache you visit and don't find? Is it only after multiple attempts? Do you use it as a notice to the owner instead of a needs maintenance notice?

To state my own case. I use it after multiple attempts (sometime other cachers have found it during this time.)I feel I should log something after more than three tries.

I have also used it as a notice to the owner in case it has gone missing.

Once to keep it in my records to I could go back to an interesting cache.

The purpose of a DNF log is to log that you did not find the cache. Not that you did not find the cache after repeated attempts. It is a statement of fact, a part of the cache's history. Your DNF is important to the cache owner and to future finders. It is not giving yourself a failing grade.

That said, a moment of honesty: I have been too embarrased to log a DNF a couple of times. Please don't tell anyone.

I log a DNF for each and every attempt where I set out to find a particular cache and it ends with me not finding the cache.

All valuable information. Even if the reason was that wonderful smell of Cinnamon rolls from the nearby Bakery. It warns future seekers to bring enough money to buy one!!

Do you log it for every cache you visit and don't find? Yes

Is it only after multiple attempts? No

Do you use it as a notice to the owner instead of a needs maintenance notice? Not following? if I've found a cache that needs maintenance, I mention that in the log. If I didn't find the cache, I can't know whether it needs maintenance.

I have logged DNFs on caches I've found before, ie, indicating that they were missing from the location where I originally found them.

I log a DNF anytime I actually look for a cache and don't find it, but only on the first attempt. On subsequent attempts I usually just post a note bacause I don't want to throw off the found/not found ratio. If I go out for a cache but never actually look for it (muggles, accessability, etc.) I will generally post a note if I think the info might be useful to other cachers.

Do you use it as a notice to the owner instead of a needs maintenance notice?

If you Did Not Find the cache, how could you know it "needs maintenance"?

Only if you find the cache would you know if it's broken or water-logged, etc. Once you post your "found it" log, then you would post a separate "NM" log.

Only if you find the cache would you know if it's broken or water-logged, etc. Once you post your "found it" log, then you would post a separate "NM" log.

Some people upon finding a lid and strap of a decon container hanging where the cache should be given the cache description might post a N/M log.

Not saying I would or that anyone should, but I have seen it done.

I log a DNF anytime I actually look for a cache and don't find it, but only on the first attempt. On subsequent attempts I usually just post a note bacause I don't want to throw off the found/not found ratio. If I go out for a cache but never actually look for it (muggles, accessability, etc.) I will generally post a note if I think the info might be useful to other cachers.

What found/DNF ratio is that? If you didn't find my cache three times in a row then you didn't find my cache three times in a row. As cache owner, I need to know that, and anybody planning on looking for my cache wants to know that.

Some people upon finding a lid and strap of a decon container hanging where the cache should be given the cache description might post a N/M log.

Not saying I would or that anyone should, but I have seen it done.

I would. Finding something like that would not be proof, but would be clear evidence that something may have happened to the cache. The cache owner is going to read that and determine whether or not to disable and check up on the cache. You are doing the cache owner a favor.

I will log a DNF each time I reach ground zero, perform an adequate search, and do not locate the cache.

My exception to this rule is if I make multiple visits to the cache on the same day -- I'll consolidate those into a single DNF log.

I am always amazed at what exactly is meant by 'adequate search'......a thousand definitions by a thousand cachers. (maybe this deserves its own topic.....)

I will log a DNF each time I reach ground zero, perform an adequate search, and do not locate the cache.

My exception to this rule is if I make multiple visits to the cache on the same day -- I'll consolidate those into a single DNF log.

I am always amazed at what exactly is meant by 'adequate search'......a thousand definitions by a thousand cachers. (maybe this deserves its own topic.....)

The nice thing is the only definition of adequate that matters to me is mine. It will vary from cache to cache for me too. A Difficuly 1 LPC might only need 20 seconds before I determine the search was adequate.

For me it somewhat depends on the information I approach the cache with. Until recently I used a non-paperless GPS (Gamin 60csx) and didn't always (or even often) have any information than the coords. In such cases I wouldn't log a DNF on the first attempt. Rather, I'd go home, actually look at (print out, D/L to my ipod, etc.) the description, logs and hint, before I went back for another try. THEN, if I didn't find it I'd log a DNF.

After the untimely demise of my 60csx I've gone paperless with a 62st. No more excuses for a DNF. If I get to GZ, search and don't find, I log a DNF. The only exception would be if when logging I see that several others in a row have logged DNF's. Then, maybe, I'd simply post a note.

This is actually a complex issue for me. Typically, I log a DNF if I have ACTIVELY searched for the cache, and failed to find it. If I can't find a place to park, and I'm too lazy to look around any more for a parking spot, then I don't log a DNF. If I can't get to GZ, I don't log a DNF. I guess this means that I'm disregarding terrain, but if I can't find a way to--say--cross a river to get to a cache, I won't log the DNF, because I haven't actually made it to GZ according to my GPS. If the terrain is the reason, however, I do tend to at least leave a note.

More than one DNF per seeker only clutters up the page. Ya didn't find it the first time, okay: DNF. No one needs to know that you searched for it three times and DNFed it. That adds no new information to the CO.

Yes! It IS a failing grade. You/I failed to find it!

I do not log multiple DNFs. Everyone know sthat I failed to find it the first time. I seldom log DNFs on vacation trips. I do not have the time to give a thorough search on those. (Though I did log 3 or 4 on the last trip.)

That being said, I'm proudly up to 364 DNFs! And that is more than 10% of my find ratio.

DNF: The flooding on the Mississippi is dissapating, but your cache is still 40' out into the river! (Okay. That didn't tell the CO anything that he didn't already know... But it was fun to log.)

More than one DNF per seeker only clutters up the page. Ya didn't find it the first time, okay: DNF. No one needs to know that you searched for it three times and DNFed it. That adds no new information to the CO.

Yes! It IS a failing grade. You/I failed to find it!

I do not log multiple DNFs. Everyone know sthat I failed to find it the first time. I seldom log DNFs on vacation trips. I do not have the time to give a thorough search on those. (Though I did log 3 or 4 on the last trip.)

That being said, I'm proudly up to 364 DNFs! And that is more than 10% of my find ratio.

DNF: The flooding on the Mississippi is dissapating, but your cache is still 40' out into the river! (Okay. That didn't tell the CO anything that he didn't already know... But it was fun to log.)

I post a DNF everytime I don't find the cache. However would not if it was the same day, has yet to happen as I'm old school and don't use a smart phone.

On the flooding example, I would post a note as I didn't search for it therefore didn't DNF it.

The only exception would be if when logging I see that several others in a row have logged DNF's. Then, maybe, I'd simply post a note.

Why would you make an exception in that case? Five DNFs in a row mean more to me than 4 DNFs in a row, and six mean more than five? Whether we're discussing one of my hides, or a cache that I'm planning on looking for, I want to know.

If I had a 'GO TO' on the cache, and I got within 10 feet of the cache but had to walk away due to:

approaching tornado

rising flood waters

nearby wildfire

rampant heathens

hangnail

phone call from wife

loose bowels

earthquake

phone call from work/office

planet

hurricane

agro crocodiles

failure to find the cache

or anything else that prevented me from signing the log, I post a DNF...(with rare exceptions).

If I had a 'GO TO' on the cache, and I got within 10 feet of the cache but had to walk away due to:

approaching tornado

rising flood waters

nearby wildfire

rampant heathens

hangnail

phone call from wife

loose bowels

earthquake

phone call from work/office

planet

hurricane

agro crocodiles

failure to find the cache

or anything else that prevented me from signing the log, I post a DNF...(with rare exceptions).

This.

I also feel no shame in logging multiple DNF's. In fact today we DNFed a cache that we had DNFed two years ago...in eerily similar circumstances. (Yes it was a tank hide, yes we are fail cachers.)

I used to just log a DNF after multiple attempts, usually 2 or 3. But now, if I am at GZ, or what I think is GZ, actively searching, and do not make the find, I log a DNF right away.

I did the same, especially when I first started out. I didn't want to look like a dork who couldn't find anything so I went back, sometimes several times, to try and find it before completely giving up and posting a DNF. Somehow, I equated a DNF with shame. Not so. A DNF raises awareness to the CO and fellow geocachers that something "might" be amiss, like difficulty and terrain ratings, i.e. I'll admit, sometimes I don't read the description properly, overlooking key info. But sometimes coordinates are so inaccurate that others see the DNF and spread out until they find it and post new coordinates of their own. All part of the game, I say.

If I go out intending to look for a particular cache, but don't end up looking for it for whatever reason (parking lot full, cranky geokids, phone rang, sudden craving for pizza, whatever) I won't log a DNF, even if I turned around on my way to GZ. Reason, I didn't look for it, so of course I didn't find it :ph34r:

If I go out intending to look for a particular cache, but don't end up looking for it for whatever reason (parking lot full, cranky geokids, phone rang, sudden craving for pizza, whatever) I won't log a DNF, even if I turned around on my way to GZ. Reason, I didn't look for it, so of course I didn't find it :ph34r:

I'll log a DNF if I Did Not Find it. But only if I looked for it. But what does "looked for it" mean? If I didn't get to GZ, did I look for it? That depends: If I didn't get to GZ due to circumstances that might affect, or be of interest to, others looking for the cache, I'll log a DNF. For instance: there's a micro near me; I drove up to a point nearby, pulled over, checked my GPSr, and realized the hide must be in full view of the road. It was rush hour and there was heavy traffic. No way I could get the cache without drawing a lot of attention. I drove away, and logged a DNF to let people know that cache needs to be sought at quieter times. Yes, I could have logged a note instead, and some would, and that's fine. But to me it was a (marginal) DNF.

I post a DNF if I look for it and can't find it. I post details if it is just me and I made a reasonable attempt. If I have some reason to suspect the cache is no longer there then I add those comments in.

I track my DNF's and determine how I want to proceed. Sometimes its watch listed so I can attempt again after someone else finds it.

Sometimes I mail the CO for a hint since I am still a new cacher. (Yes I registered in 2008 but I didn't catch most of 2009 and 2010.

Froboz

My personal approach:

- If I get to GZ and look (reasonable attempt) but can't find, it's a DNF. I'll only post one DNF per day; but if I return another day and can't find it, I'll log another DNF.

- If I can't get to GZ for a reason which I think is relevant to others, I'll log a DNF. E.g. can't get there because the trail is flooded. Or because I just got lost. Or don't even try to look because too many muggles around. If I turn back for a purely personal reason (e.g. my wife calls and there is an emergency at home), I'll log a note or nothing at all.

I'll log a DNF if I Did Not Find it. But only if I looked for it. But what does "looked for it" mean? If I didn't get to GZ, did I look for it? That depends: If I didn't get to GZ due to circumstances that might affect, or be of interest to, others looking for the cache, I'll log a DNF. For instance: there's a micro near me; I drove up to a point nearby, pulled over, checked my GPSr, and realized the hide must be in full view of the road. It was rush hour and there was heavy traffic. No way I could get the cache without drawing a lot of attention. I drove away, and logged a DNF to let people know that cache needs to be sought at quieter times. Yes, I could have logged a note instead, and some would, and that's fine. But to me it was a (marginal) DNF.

And ya know... as a relatively new cacher my opinions are not yet fossilized. Having posted that I started thinking about it and I'm starting to think differently.

One problem is the ambiguity of the idea of "I looked for it". Where does one cross the boundary between intending to look and looking? It's not generally clear.

The other is this. Suppose, just for discussion, you disagree with my take on the above scenario: You think I should have posted a note, not a DNF. Fine. Now consider this: Same scenario except I get out of the car, I go to GZ, I spend a minute or two searching (and let's assume it was a D4, so a minute or two really isn't expected to be enough time for a real search), and then I realize I'm in full view of a busy road and likely to attract attention, so I stop and leave. Is that a DNF? By the "if I got to GZ and started searching" standard it is. But it's really not substantively different from my original scenario, is it? The reason for not making the find is the same, it's just where and when I made the decision that's different. If "I got to GZ and started searching" makes one log the first scenario as a note and the second as a DNF, then to my mind there's something wrong with that approach.

Okay, so how's this; rather than deciding on the basis of what one did, decide on the basis of why one didn't find it. In particular, take DNF to mean "Did Not Find, for at least one of the following reasons: (1) The cache wasn't there or (2) It was hidden really well or (3) I suck at geocaching." (While one often can't be sure which of those reasons is the correct one, I think one can usually decide it's one of those three versus some other reason.) If one fails to find for any other reason — too many onlookers, too muddy and not wearing boots, sudden attack by badgers, whatever — then it's perhaps a note, but not a DNF.

I think I'll try adopting that policy and see how it works out.

Okay, so how's this; rather than deciding on the basis of what one did, decide on the basis of why one didn't find it. In particular, take DNF to mean "Did Not Find, for at least one of the following reasons: (1) The cache wasn't there or (2) It was hidden really well or (3) I suck at geocaching." (While one often can't be sure which of those reasons is the correct one, I think one can usually decide it's one of those three versus some other reason.) If one fails to find for any other reason — too many onlookers, too muddy and not wearing boots, sudden attack by badgers, whatever — then it's perhaps a note, but not a DNF.

If you have never found it before - how could you possibly know that it is missing??

If you have never found it before - how could you possibly know that it was indeed hidden very well (assuming the difficulty was correct - there are are HUGE differences of opinion on search time for each level)??

If you did not find it and did not know if it was missing or not - how can you conclude that you 'suck' at caching??

Now you are right back down to something along the lines of 'did I make an effort to search' - we all seem to define that one a bit differently. To me, it is selecting the cache on my GPS and setting out to find it. Anything that ends in me not find the cache (on different days) after that is a DNF log in my book.

If you have never found it before - how could you possibly know that it is missing??

If you have never found it before - how could you possibly know that it was indeed hidden very well (assuming the difficulty was correct - there are are HUGE differences of opinion on search time for each level)??

If you did not find it and did not know if it was missing or not - how can you conclude that you 'suck' at caching??

If you go back and re-read my post, I said: You can't generally know any one of those things. I do think, though, that in most cases you know EITHER (1) it's one or another of the three (you just don't know which) OR (2) it's something else.

If it's something else, and if I think it's of sufficient interest to the CO and/or other cachers, I'll post a note.

If it's not something else, I'll log a DNF.

Now you are right back down to something along the lines of 'did I make an effort to search' - we all seem to define that one a bit differently.

Nope — to repeat myself again — it's not 'did I search?', it's 'why did I stop searching?' Because I hadn't found it and decided I wasn't going to find it that day (because either it wasn't there or it was hidden well or I suck)? Or because I got attacked by badgers?

Granted, there's some potential for ambiguity, if I was right on the cusp of giving up and leaving just when the badgers attacked. I'd probably call that a DNF.

To me, it is selecting the cache on my GPS and setting out to find it. Anything that ends in me not find the cache (on different days) after that is a DNF log in my book.

You can play it that way if you like. But if I select a cache on my GPSr, start driving toward it, and then while still five miles away realize I'm going to be late for an appointment if I don't forget about caching and head for where I'm supposed to be, that's just not something I'd log as a DNF.

My philosophy on DNF's:

Any single visit to ground zero, in which a search was attempted, merits a log.

I have logged a DNF on the same cache 3 times in the same day. I logged 5 DNF's on a simple 1.5/1.5 cache before finding it. Maybe I'm just not that good at this activity and should take up quilting.

Edited by TerraViators

I also log every DNF from the first attempt. Anyways I think, it´s no Bad thing, because there is never a "you´ll find it" guarantee. And sometimes it´s like a "thumps up" to the hider, because his choosen hideout is brilliant. On the other hand, like some said bevore, sometimes its good for the cache owner to know about. I´m sometimes a little disappointed when people write things like "very fast find" or "almost boring, but ok" when logging my caches. That makes me feel uncreative. A few DNFs are a sort of sign that the cache isn´t that boring, to me.

And I always write a little story about my hunt, regardless of find or not.

I also think, that a "needs maintainance" log is something really different and a clear fact. DNF is something very different. So, in my opinion those two are clearly seperatet and for explicit purposes. Sometimes I write DNF-Logs like "searched a lot, so please check if the cache isn´t gone." Thats clearly no "needs maintainance" in my opinion.

In the end, I don´t think logging a DNF is a bad thing, neither for me nor the owner.

It´s still a game, and sometimes we lose ... ;)

Edited by FraenCache

I usually log a DNF whenever I looked for and couldn't find the cache, after a proper search.

Exceptions:

only had a few minutes to search

looked for the cache multiple times (I went looking for a particular level 4 cache 8 times and only logged 2 DNFs. I think logging 7 DNFs would be TMI)

My philosophy on DNF's:

I have logged a DNF on the same cache 3 times in the same day. I logged 5 DNF's on a simple 1.5/1.5 cache before finding it. Maybe I'm just not that good at this activity and should take up quilting.

No offense, but if I was the cache owner and you logged 3 DNFs in one day, I would either be a] royally annoyed and delete 2 of your logs or b] laugh so hard I peed myself

Seriously, is there something wrong with your GPS??? I have one friend who's GPS (garmin 60csx) is always ridiculously way off...like 100 feet...still haven't figured out what's wrong with it, but suffice to say, he doesn't find many...

Edited by The_Incredibles_

My philosophy on DNF's:

Someone who logs 3 DNF's on the same cache and on the same day, has issues.....but not with the cache. Relax. Try to look at it logically. I've been there many times myself and have also been frustrated on a number of occasions, so you're not alone. Read the past logs, look at the gallery and even contact the owner, no shame in that. This is a great game, don't let a DNF get you down.

I usually log a DNF whenever I looked for and couldn't find the cache, after a proper search.

Exceptions:

only had a few minutes to search

looked for the cache multiple times (I went looking for a particular level 4 cache 8 times and only logged 2 DNFs. I think logging 7 DNFs would be TMI)

My philosophy on DNF's:

No offense, but if I was the cache owner and you logged 3 DNFs in one day, I would either be a] royally annoyed and delete 2 of your logs or b] laugh so hard I peed myself

Seriously, is there something wrong with your GPS??? I have one friend who's GPS (garmin 60csx) is always ridiculously way off...like 100 feet...still haven't figured out what's wrong with it, but suffice to say, he doesn't find many...

Nothing wrong with my GPSr. I've found nearly 1,650 caches with it.

My philosophy on DNF's:

Someone who logs 3 DNF's on the same cache and on the same day, has issues.....but not with the cache. Relax. Try to look at it logically. I've been there many times myself and have also been frustrated on a number of occasions, so you're not alone. Read the past logs, look at the gallery and even contact the owner, no shame in that. This is a great game, don't let a DNF get you down.

I'd be interested in your diagnosis of which issues I have?? I do read previous logs, etc. I just kept missing it.

I'm unaware that there is any statistical analysis of the Found/Did Not Find logs. It is exactly what it is: Found (after looking). Did Not Find (after looking)

Why would one worry about a ratio? If you try repeatedly to find a cache and cannot, you should log it. It's another attempt, and can give context to a hide that perhaps a D/T level could be adjusted, description updated, or hint added/changed. I know that I appreciate every DNF log, and hope that all DNFs are logged regardless of "ratio".

I decided to check out a cluster of four caches on the map the other day. On three of them, they were in front of houses on residential side streets with neighbors all over the place. I didn't even slow down on these. I did not post DNFs, I simply put them on my Ignore list wen I got home. The fourth was more isolated and I was comfortable with actually getting out of the car and looking for it. I didn't find it so I posted a DNF.

I don't think I will ever understand those that turn back because of heavy traffic, five miles from the parking area and then post a DNF. It almost reminds me of those that twitter their location all day long. Let's be honest. A cache log is not the place to convey to the world that your wife called you home before you even got to the parking area.