60csx need help seeing geocach

laytonerickson

When I connect the gps to the computer I see that it is recognized as Removable disk F. In there I see a folder called garmin. In that folder I can see a folder called gpx. In that folder I see the gpx files and the wpts.gpx files.

I can also see individual gpx files that were loaded.

The problem is, they are not showing on my gps. I have a feeling that either the gps is not reading the removable card or there is a setting in the gps that is incorrect.

I should add that when I connect the gps to the computer, all I see is the removable disk. I do not see any files in the actual gps. Also, to even see the removable disk I have to go to Setup in the gps and then go to USB Mass Storage.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

That unit is not paperless and is not capable of directly reading GPX files or LOC files.

Geocaches must be loaded through one of many capable pieces of software and will display very limited data unless loaded via POI files.

I am following this thread because I am also having difficulties. What software is capable?

That unit is not paperless and is not capable of directly reading GPX files or LOC files.

Geocaches must be loaded through one of many capable pieces of software and will display very limited data unless loaded via POI files.

I am following this thread because I am also having difficulties. What software is capable?

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK

EasyGPS

Basecamp

etc....

I use GSAK with that unit. I prefer GSAK to take advantage of the various type filters it offers, and for the ease of use. Also, should I wish to be paperless and have descriptions, there is a macro that will do this as well, although it is no longer supported.

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK

EasyGPS

Basecamp

etc....

mapsource ...

Does GSAK charge a fee to use?

For the first 21 days it is free to use, and has the full capability. After 21 days the nagging gets more insistent. You might call it nagware. To register your copy it is $25USD. The fee is for the current registered version and support on the GSAK site is the best in the business.

I'm new to this as well, and have the 60CSX. One thing I've learned also is that the GPS will hold 500 waypoints (geocaches) but when you want to see them unless you specify 'view as list' you will only see the 50 caches that are closest to your current location. Which means that if you want to go for a cache on the other side of town or way out of town you may not see it. I've changed my GPS to see the full list to make it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Just a tip for other 60CSX newbies like myself.

I have two paperless GPSr's and two non-paperless GPSr's. There's no doubt that, for me, paperless is the way to go. But I love my 60Cx and 60CSx, two really excellent handhelds. After reading about it and trying the free version, I bought GSAK which I think is about as good as it gets for a non-paperless GPSr. The program enhances everything I like about the 60 series and adds a little extra that you can modify and manipulate as you wish. Also, I use the one program on three computers but you can use it on however many you wish. I'm no expert with it but a lot of people on this forum are, so help is not far away. Forget the free version, that nag is a real pain in the ***.

I'm new to this as well, and have the 60CSX. One thing I've learned also is that the GPS will hold 500 waypoints (geocaches) but when you want to see them unless you specify 'view as list' you will only see the 50 caches that are closest to your current location. Which means that if you want to go for a cache on the other side of town or way out of town you may not see it. I've changed my GPS to see the full list to make it easier to find what I'm looking for.

IT WORKED! Well sort of. I had my home waypoint in so I went to the map on that and just mapped myself to the ones I was trying to find 400 miles away and then zoomed in and they were there. Now if I could ask one more thing? I looked all over but can not find where to set the setting to full list. Can you direct me? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this post.

IT WORKED! Well sort of. I had my home waypoint in so I went to the map on that and just mapped myself to the ones I was trying to find 400 miles away and then zoomed in and they were there. Now if I could ask one more thing? I looked all over but can not find where to set the setting to full list. Can you direct me? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this post.

I got mine to work too so thanks to those of you that helped. I'd also like to know how to set it to full list.

The 60CSx will hold 1000 waypoints, not just 500.