Garmin 62s city navigator and topo

Hello,

I am wanting to put City Navigator for North American and the 24k Topo maps for my area onto my 62s. Is it possible to have both of them loaded on to my SD card so I can switch back and forth between them as needed? I will be purchasing the DVDs and using my own SD card. I know the maps will fit on the card, but I have read something about a maximum amount of map tiles. I am a noob at this big time and I really don't understand what that means. But I am wondering if that is something I will run into.

Ideally I would love to have the entire country on City Navigator and the Topo 24k Northeast DVD. Will that be past the 2025 maps segments?

Also I've been hearing a lot about the maps on GPSFileDepot, Are those maps as detailed as the Garmin 24k maps? I know the Garmins have routing and other features I would love to have, but I can live without those if the free maps have good detail. Can I load my entire state on to the card at once?

Sorry for all of these questions. I'm really new to all of this. Coming from a BlackBerry to a 62s has been a big leap.

Thanks

Get City Navigator (you can also get the updates so you get a new version 4 times a year). Send all of it to your card and rename \garmin\gmapsupp.img City Navigator.img

The entire CN (including Canada and other plavces) is 153 segments.

I would say other than not being routable, the gpsfiledepot maps are generally better than the Garmin maps. They generally are made from higher resolution elevation and hydrology data. Most of the Gpsfiledepot topo maps do not have trails. So make sure you also download and install My Trails (I make it). It is a transparent overlay and has 10s of thousands of trails in the NE.

You can use profiles to switch back and forth between topo and City Navigator. My Trails displays on top of CN and topo maps. But City Navigator covers topo maps. So to see the topo maps, your recreation profile will need to disable CN.

Thank you so much for the help.

So your saying CN is only 153 segments? Wow that's crazy. I figured it would be a lot more than that. In other words the maximum of 2000+ segments would be pretty hard to reach? That's good to hear.

And just so I'm sure I read your post right. I need to rename the file gmapsupp.img from my DVD to city Navigator.img and then drop it into the card? Is gmapsupp.img used for anything on the 62s? I had a Nuvi and I'm pretty sure it used that file name for the City Navigator inside the Garmin folder on the internal memory. What does renaming the file do? I am going to guess that it will keep it from being the default start up map. Right? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all of this.

Thanks again

In my experience I don't find the 24K maps to contain any more detail than just the 100k maps from Garmin or GPS File Depot other than more elevation contour lines (at least in my area.) I actually find the GPSFileDepot maps to contain more data than the 100k Garmin maps. The only advantage personally I really see with going with the Garmin maps is the routable navigation in the 24k and I have found the redraw speed to be much faster with the Garmin. Other than that I see no reason not to use the free ones.

And just so I'm sure I read your post right. I need to rename the file gmapsupp.img from my DVD to city Navigator.img and then drop it into the card? Is gmapsupp.img used for anything on the 62s? I had a Nuvi and I'm pretty sure it used that file name for the City Navigator inside the Garmin folder on the internal memory. What does renaming the file do? I am going to guess that it will keep it from being the default start up map. Right? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all of this.

Thanks again

No you need to rename it AFTER you compile and send it to your GPS. My understanding is the 62 enables and disables maps based on the img files. Read these:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/

The detail of the Garmin 24K series really depends on what state your from. In Montana the 24K series really does have alot of trails and the forest (unpaved) road detail is amazing and un paralleled by any transportation shapefile I've ever found. I know for a fact that Garmin requested road and trail data from the Forest Service and various municipalities across the state. I find it to be invaluable in navigating forests service roads. That said, Garmin doesn't include any detailed public land ownerships which is a huge item to many outdoor enthusiasts in western states where there is alot of public land. Garmin does include the old administration boundaries but they are outdated and do not show percise public land ownership boundaries by a long-shot. I always suggest getting the Garmin 24K maps for people who live in Montana because they really are amazing when it comes to backroads and trails. I also suggest loading one of my maps for the landowner data.

Edited by yogazoo