What's the most searching Geocachers at one moment at one point you came across ?

I'm sure most people had it happen : you're out finding a cache and while searching another team turns up at your location with the same goal as you have...

Recently we were out caching here in Belgium near a lovely castle and saw while approaching a whole bunch of people at the location we estimated the cache to be.

Turned out that 12 persons in 5 teams had arrived at exactly the same time at exactly the same spot :huh:

We did all ofcourse had a laugh and managed to find the cache with combined forces B)

Anybody beating our 5 teams ?

I'm sure most people had it happen : you're out finding a cache and while searching another team turns up at your location with the same goal as you have...

Recently we were out caching here in Belgium near a lovely castle and saw while approaching a whole bunch of people at the location we estimated the cache to be.

Turned out that 12 persons in 5 teams had arrived at exactly the same time at exactly the same spot :huh:

We did all ofcourse had a laugh and managed to find the cache with combined forces B)

Anybody beating our 5 teams ?

Many of us have searched for caches in groups of 20 or more, even 20 people on bicycles :lol:

I suggest, however, that this is not a topic for OT

I've been at a cache machine where 100 of us were trying to find the same 75 caches in one day.

At the beginning there were large crowds at caches, then after a while there were only crowds when we couldn't find it.

We had almost 20 on one cache that I finally found.

My favorite time was yesterday. There were only around 8 cachers when I got there, but most of them had been looking for that newly published cache for an hour. The cache owner had just showed up and asked if they wanted her to just show them where it was. I said, "No! Wait! I just got here!" so I had to look fast because everyone was out of patience. Luckily I was able to find it within a few minutes. I don't think I made any friends (except for the cache owner who said she was really glad I showed up).

About 20 at an event two days ago. There were about 100 people that went all together, basically it required you to find 12 caches hidden over the ENTIRE county, it was a 100 mile drive through back-roads, and took 5 hours to finish the event. Obviously, most people split up, some people took faster routes, some people stopped for gas, but at every single cache there were at least 10 - 15 people, at the first I went to there was 20. The other 80 or so people started at different times then us. You could start anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00, but the majority started at 9:00.

Edited by Coldgears

Once, very early on, cache posting were rare and far between. A puzzle cache as posted one winter morning. At 5:30 ish my husband and I headed to the trailhead, where we ran into 2 other cachers, as we walked the ice-slick trail down to the stream crossing and then made our way to the deep valley where the final was placed we picked up another 3 cachers. By the time we got to the final I think there were 7 of us total. Searching a hillside of fallen trees, in the dark and snow. It took 30 minutes to find the cache, the coords were close but not perfect.

Then we all went to dinner to warm up. Totally unplanned but fun.

Otherwise, the most I have encountered which were non-event related would be 8 or 9 people when we ran into a large family and their friends caching one day.

Jennifer

One night in the Ocala National Forest, a local legend hosted a moonlight event, dragging 57 of us way out into the deep woods, with no flashlights allowed. After a given amount of schmoozing had commenced, we were instructed to activate our narrow beam photon emitters, and hunt for a tiny reflector. Within X number of feet from that reflector will be an ammo can filled with kewl swag. It was quite the malay. Though, to be honest, that number should be 56, since I stayed with the host, continuing my schmoozing, rather than taking an active role is seeking the cache.

I ran into four people in a nature preserve looking for a cache I had found a while back. I was walking past it to a newer one. I asked if they found it yet, and they played dumb. Later, they met me as I was putting the new one away. They left for the one I had hidden as I went to the other new one. My hide was easy, the one I was searching for wasn't. They eventually helped me search, I made the find and they thought I was a geocaching genius. Little did they know.

That's the most I've run into. A couple times one, a couple times two.

Edited by CanDMan47