This thing looks neat! How come I wasn't made aware?

d+n.s

Anybody got anymore info about this thing?

I can offer some info beyond the page... it looks identical to the kind I used to buy from a place called Creative something-or-other in Tucson, AZ. They were about half the price as what I'm seeing in that link, but didn't come with the log book and mini decon container. They weren't advertised as geocaching containers, but rather as stump hide-a-keys. The wood is naturally porous, so it's impossible to keep water from seeping in; further waterproofing inside is a must (we also used a small plastic container). But the water also seeps *out* pretty seamlessly as well (nature is great that way), so unlike Tupperware that has a tendency to develop standing water issues, these dried out quickly and naturally. They were great for my purposes, but the location was bad; it walked off about three times before the Munchkins and I gave up ordering new ones.

The workmanship / style really does look exactly the same. I wonder if they are provided by the same supplier / artisan.

What more do you need to know about it? Looks like the page pretty much covers everything.

The kind of stuff you see below your post. How it holds up, how well it works... stuff another cacher could tell me that a market couldn't. Heck, I don't even really understand how it fits together and doesn't fall open... Just wanted some people with feild experience to give me some fedback on it. The alternative is having the same discussions we always have.

Anybody got anymore info about this thing?

I can offer some info beyond the page... it looks identical to the kind I used to buy from a place called Creative something-or-other in Tucson, AZ. They were about half the price as what I'm seeing in that link, but didn't come with the log book and mini decon container. They weren't advertised as geocaching containers, but rather as stump hide-a-keys. The wood is naturally porous, so it's impossible to keep water from seeping in; further waterproofing inside is a must (we also used a small plastic container). But the water also seeps *out* pretty seamlessly as well (nature is great that way), so unlike Tupperware that has a tendency to develop standing water issues, these dried out quickly and naturally. They were great for my purposes, but the location was bad; it walked off about three times before the Munchkins and I gave up ordering new ones.

The workmanship / style really does look exactly the same. I wonder if they are provided by the same supplier / artisan.

Interesting.

Did the ones you have stay "together" the one in the picture looks like it would accidentally "open" a lot

unless I misunderstand the concept

Edited by d+n.s
Interesting.

Did the ones you have stay "together" the one in the picture looks like it would accidentally "open" a lot

Good question. And... no, they didn't really stay together particularly well. In one of them we dug out small indentations and glued a couple of rare earth magnets - that helped a lot. For some of the others I just used an earthy-colored rubber band to encourage the whole thing to stay closed a little better (and hoped that cachers would follow my lead). I don't have a great sense for how well either of those solutions worked medium- to long-term, however - like I said, the containers kept walking off on me.

My gut reaction to this listing is that it's priced a bit too high.

I don't completely disagree with knowschad about creative containers, but I think it's more than just a binary classification. Even if it's purchased online as opposed to uniquely crafted, I think something like this is still a bit more creative and fun to find than the standard decon container / lock-n-lock / pill bottle / etc.

Interesting.

Good question. And... no, they didn't really stay together particularly well. In one of them we dug out small indentations and glued a couple of rare earth magnets - that helped a lot. For some of the others I just used an earthy-colored rubber band to encourage the whole thing to stay closed a little better (and hoped that cachers would follow my lead). I don't have a great sense for how well either of those solutions worked medium- to long-term, however - like I said, the containers kept walking off on me.

My gut reaction to this listing is that it's priced a bit too high.

I don't completely disagree with knowschad about creative containers, but I think it's more than just a binary classification. Even if it's purchased online as opposed to uniquely crafted, I think something like this is still a bit more creative and fun to find than the standard decon container / lock-n-lock / pill bottle / etc.

I feel the same basically. I've never found one of these, and I doubt most casual cachers have. People who don't frequent these forums and listen to podcasts and whatnot will probably garner a lot of shock and interest from a store bought "gimmick" container. There is a shade of grey between a ammo can and a custom container and I think I can appreciate them or what they are.

Also, no one said it was creative. Just neat :)

I don't have a great spot for a hollow log cache, but living in an apartment with thin walls... something like this might be a good way to do one if I found a good spot begging for a fake log.

Edited by d+n.s

Yep Decon's can be hit or miss. Some i've handled and found while caching are good and tight so the water will stay out so long as people secure the tops on correctly. Which they rarely do. Others have crappy tops that don't seal well or don't have a gasket.

These are not 20 yr old decon kits scrounged up from the Army. These mini-decons were specifically designed and manufactured as geocache containers. The lids are more pliable which makes them easier to close and greatly reduces any leakage. There is no "four corner snap" ritual involved to get them closed. I have seen more than a few these in the wild and they have not leaked.

As far as the item for sale, I'd buy the decon for a fraction of the price and make my own cammo. This is exactly what whoever is supplying Groundspeak has done.

I sure hope those aren't made out of ash wood! :lol:

There is an ash tree in the park across the street from me that has a tag on it which indicates that it will die due to ash borer damage. We got a wood burning fire place stove insert a couple of years ago and found a good source for firewood. The last time we tried to order a cord he said he couldn't sell it to us because we lived outside the county where it was cut. Awhile back I posted something here about someone at the university looking for people with GPS devices for a program he was running. After a 1/2 hour "training" session he was asking people to mark the location of any Ash trees with ash borer damage that they might encounter while hiking.