First geocaching trip tomorrow!

kwonchoba

well i have heard about this before and its summer vacation and nothing to do so why not. got the app for my droid and printed off 5 pages of local places to find. gonna get up early and start doing some searching. looks to be around 5 or 10 with in 5 miles of my house so it should be fun. wish me luck!

sooo went out to try a few today. downloaded an app but it wasnt working out so well. so i bought the $10 one and it works good. ( if you have singal in that area) haha. didnt get to find any :( but deff fun. will be going out tomorrow to spend more time trying.

Small ones can be very tricky. Once you get into it for a little while you will start to see the obvious or not so obvious places for those liitle guys to hide. Some can be as small as the eraser on a pencil. Start off with ones in the woods that are medium-large size caches.

so i couldnt end the day with out finding one cache. so i went back out to my first stop of the day at Old Academy GC235VA. walked around the whole building id say a good 10 times or so. tired getting a gps signal the whole time but it was not working out. i got in my truck to go home and tried for gps once more and got it! i jumped out and started following the radar and finally was on top of it or atleast the radar said so. so i grabbed my gloves and started looking. WOW it was hidden well! left a lego block and picked up a little army man. cant wait to go out tomorrow bright and early!

2011-07-12191715.jpg

Congratulations on your first find! You'll get to know other clues also, such as the cachers' trail in the woods, the absence of spider webs at one hole only in an urban/woodland/park parking lot, the glint of fishing line out of the corner of your eye, and the sudden blocking of the sun by a camouflaged cigar holder. Keep your eyes open, think "where would I hide it" and use the additional hint (clue).

Piles of bark are a give away too......

well went out this morning and afernoon and ended up finding 4! i am hooked on geocaching now! came home and planned out a whole bunch for tomorow. gonna try to get atleast 5 or so! got my bike fixed up and in the truck incase i need to bike. just better to have it in there. having a blast doing this cant wait to keep finding more and more

If you can afford one, a hiking style handheld GPS is the way to go I think. (Keep in mind, not all brands/models may come with maps.) Car style GPSes can work too, though they won't have the same battery life as a hiking style GPS.

If your phone's GPS only works when you have a cell phone signal, then it might not be a real GPS chip but a cell tower triangulation method, which may not be as accurate. Or I suppose it could be the fault of the software, see if the app has an "offline" mode for use when you don't have a cell phone signal. I have no experience with the Android app so don't know exactly how it works.

I use two different android apps...i wont mention which ones i might get shot :ph34r: But they both work perfectly for me!

I wanna go caching now but the weather for the past 3 days has being nothing but rain and my little lad doesnt appriciate being walked here there and everywhere in the rain :)

Happy caching x

Kwonchoba, out of interest, what model android phone have you got?

I'm new to geocaching too (the bug has bitten me, hard), and have been using one of the geocaching apps available on the android marketplace to great effect on my wildfire.

This may be complete bunk, but I'm under the impression that mobile phone GPSrs can be less reliable in terms of signal strength and holding onto the satellites than a proper handheld GPSr. When you fire up your app and are trying to get a GPS lock, make sure you're stood in a nice open area, if possible, with a good clear view of the sky. You haven't said what sort of terrain you're caching in, but I have noticed with mine how much being near or under large trees can affect my signal and my corresponding positioning error. In heavy woodland I've found that I totally lose my GPS signal or when I do have one, end up with a ridiculous positioning error margin. Needless to say I'm already considering getting a proper GPSr for geocaching, I just need to research some recommendations.

Edited by CheekyBuddha