Garmin Dakota 20

I have a dakota 20, and it works fine, hints, full descriptions, logs and all.

I don't know how familiar you are with the menu, but first you have to be navigating to a specific goecache then you can find all the hints in the 'geocaches' menu button. It is a pain sometimes having to pop out of the map view into the main menu then into the Geocaches to read the helping hints, but it worked for me without any qualms.

Edited by charkol3

I have a dakota 20, and it works fine, hints, full descriptions, logs and all.

I don't know how familiar you are with the menu, but first you have to be navigating to a specific goecache then you can find all the hints in the 'geocaches' menu button. It is a pain sometimes having to pop out of the map view into the main menu then into the Geocaches to read the helping hints, but it worked for me without any qualms.

I wonder if the program I am using to transfer the info to the unit isn't getting it all?

I wonder if the program I am using to transfer the info to the unit isn't getting it all?

I get the caches loaded onto my garmin straight from the geocaching.com website. I'm not sure if it is advised that way or not, but I haven't ran into a problem.

Edited by charkol3

So I just got the Dakota 20 today...I am able to upload the PQ zip file to Easy GPS then send all the info to the Dakota....but when I plug the Dakota into the computer, I just get an image with the GPSr connected to the computer and cant navigate through the menu of the GPSr...is this how it is for everybody? Or is there something I can do the change this? Thanks!!

Hmm....when I first plugged the GPSr into the computer, the power indicator showed a "plug" icon instead of the "battery" icon. When I unplugged the unit from the computer, it began counting down from 30 until the unit would power off, or I could touch the screen to keep it on....now I cant do that......with my Etrex Vista, I was also able to navigate the menus while plugged into the computer and it also gave the countdown when disconnecting from the computer......

Hmm....when I first plugged the GPSr into the computer, the power indicator showed a "plug" icon instead of the "battery" icon. When I unplugged the unit from the computer, it began counting down from 30 until the unit would power off, or I could touch the screen to keep it on....now I cant do that......with my Etrex Vista, I was also able to navigate the menus while plugged into the computer and it also gave the countdown when disconnecting from the computer......

The eTrex units let you navigate the menus while it is plugged in. Many of the newer units don't for whatever reason.

The reason the newer units don't let you navigate while plugged in is they act as hard drives. Allowing you direct access to the file system on the unit. Thus allowing you to directly drag and drop .gpx and .loc files into the GPX folder rather then using an outside program like EasyGPS to load the info.

If you want it to be plugged in while you play around with the unit you'll have to get a USB power adapter. If the unit sees it connected to a PC it will load itself like its an external hard drive or flash drive. If yo plug it into a USB Power adapter it will start to load like a drive but once it notices there is nothing on the communication lines it will go to the home screen.