I think we'll reach GC30000 tonight!

I just placed a new cache, GC2ZZ9E. It's not published yet, but I realized it's very close to GC30000! I'd guess we will make it by tonight, if not, by tomorrow!

Is this something I should worry about?

It's the end of the world as we know it...

Hmm. Strange... I feel fine :laughing:

It is great to see this hobby grow as more caches get placed in the wild! Here's to another digit added to the code sometime down the road!

I just placed a new cache, GC2ZZ9E. It's not published yet, but I realized it's very close to GC30000! I'd guess we will make it by tonight, if not, by tomorrow!

Oh, then I best start to worry. Where did I put those worry beads, Ah, here they, ooops, wrong beads ...

Oh, then I best start to worry. Where did I put those worry beads, Ah, here they, ooops, wrong beads ...

Is that last comment like a rorschach test? :huh::unsure::anicute:

Looks like it's been posted, it just needs to be reviewed!

http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC30000

For comparison, here is a page that hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC40000

Can't see it because it hasn't been published yet. Is it yours?

No, it's not mine. Nobody can see it, including me, but it has the page that indicates it's been posted, but not reviewed.

I didn't know they were sequential.

Why wouldn't they be sequential?

Why would they be sequential? Plenty of computer systems assign account numbers and code randomly.

Much easier to figure out what the next number is if it is simply n+1. That way you don't have to track for a previously issued numbers for conflicts or worry about other conflicts. You want the GC number to be unique to the cache, so n+1 works just fine. Go look up Markwell's FAQ page on GC numbering.

Sequential GC Codes are quite useful in deciding "who's first?" when two new caches are submitted within 528 feet of each other. I had that happen three times over the weekend.

GC30000 was snatched up by an opportunist who very clearly was trying to obtain that number. The same thing has happened in the past (GCXXXX, GC10000, etc.) so this comes as no surprise. Hopefully we will see someday what the lucky owner does with their cool GC Code. The page is currently disabled (i.e., not submitted for review).

Sequential GC Codes are quite useful in deciding "who's first?" when two new caches are submitted within 528 feet of each other. I had that happen three times over the weekend.

GC30000 was snatched up by an opportunist who very clearly was trying to obtain that number. The same thing has happened in the past (GCXXXX, GC10000, etc.) so this comes as no surprise. Hopefully we will see someday what the lucky owner does with their cool GC Code. The page is currently disabled (i.e., not submitted for review).

Hey Keystone!! Thanks so much for posting information about this and taking the time to check it out.

It may not mean much in the big scheme of things, but it is really nice you took the time to quench our curiosity on this. Not everyone would bother. Thank you very much!!

SS

That probably works 98-99.9% of the time. But I have a couple in my back pocket that are left over from a series I was going to do but didn't. I've kept them around and dribble them out as I place caches. Guess my GC2D... will trump those GC30... caches.

Sequential GC Codes are quite useful in deciding "who's first?" when two new caches are submitted within 528 feet of each other.

I'm surprised you use that and not the time at which the listing entered the review queue, as GC codes can be grabbed years before they are used. (Hmm, maybe the system should assign the GC code only at listing submission time.)

EDIT: oops, crossed in the post with jholly.

Edited by I!
(Hmm, maybe the system should assign the GC code only at listing submission time.)

The CO needs to mark the GC code on the cache so that wouldn't work. I'm assuming Keystone means the codes are used when both caches were submitted on the exact same minute.

Nope, it's when you place the original holding tag. Awhile ago I dropped a tag on a spot that was recently archived not knowing exactly which idea I was going with. 2 days later I get an e-mail from my local reviewer stating that I could place a cache in the spot within a week or the spot would go to the cacher who attempted to publish a cache in that spot. I ended up giving the spot to him. Being the early bird on a spot really does give you the worm.

I didn't know they were sequential.

It looks like they come in numbers first and then the alphabet. First 0,1,2...7,8,9 and then a-z

For example after GCZ6M3 comes GCZ6M4

And after GCZZZZ comes GC10000

That's the right general idea, although it's a little more complicated than that.

The first system was simply Base 16, using the digits 0-9 and A-F. Once we hit GCFFFF obviously something needed to change (especially since many handheld units at the time could only display 6 characters).

Since then they've moved to a sort of modified Base 31 - the digits 0-9 and the letters A-Z, with the exception of the letters I, L, O, S and U.

When creating a new listing, I always give it a name, disable it, give it the coordinates and then submit it. I do it this way so that if I get distracted while working out the fine details, I won't bump up against the 40 minute time out. I guess this also gives me another benefit if someone else may have been placing caches in the area.

(Hmm, maybe the system should assign the GC code only at listing submission time.)

The CO needs to mark the GC code on the cache so that wouldn't work. I'm assuming Keystone means the codes are used when both caches were submitted on the exact same minute.

That is a courtesy, not a requirement. In my area, it is seldom done.