Best caching gloves?

dorqie

It's not the cold I'm worried about... it's sticking my hand in holes where there are likely to be prickles.

Or maybe some chainmaille.

some of the prickles here would make it through. Plus, I need it to be light, and foldable into my pocket.

I'd cache in a full suit of armor if practical.

It's not the cold I'm worried about... it's sticking my hand in holes where there are likely to be prickles.

In that case the cheap work/gardening gloves with the rubber palms should be sufficient. They are only about $3.

That is what I have found best here in snow country when I have to dig through crusted snow for the cache. They don't do much to keep my hands warm, but the rubber fingertips hold up very well.

But, back to the OP... to avoid needles and natural stickers, I suppose you could do a lot worse than kevlar, if you have the money: http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/kevlar-gloves,1497.htm

In that case the cheap work/gardening gloves with the rubber palms should be sufficient. They are only about $3.

That is what I have found best here in snow country when I have to dig through crusted snow for the cache. They don't do much to keep my hands warm, but the rubber fingertips hold up very well.

But, back to the OP... to avoid needles and natural stickers, I suppose you could do a lot worse than kevlar, if you have the money: http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/kevlar-gloves,1497.htm

those are not as pricey as I'd have thought... however I have a habit of losing things, so I'm not to be trusted with $50 gloves.

Goalie gloves...goalie as in soccer.

They work perfect. You wont feel a thing with the thick rubber sole on your palm, smooth thinner fabric/rubber on top of your hand. Your fingers will be padded with rubber thickness yet you wont sweat much...okay, maybe a little.

All to stop those darn soccer balls.

I guess it all depends on what kind of critters you have where you are. Here, we have only one venomous snake (Massassauga Rattlesnake) which lives in only very select, well defined areas so I don't need to worry about snake bites, only insects or rodent type animals. I have a pair of fabric gloves with nitrile palms for when I have to root around in rocks or blaze a trail, and they seem to suffice, though I have been contemplating something a little heavier, such as perhaps mechanics gloves or lightweight leather work gloves.

After my encounter with the copperhead a few summers ago, I got a pair of kevlar LEO pat down gloves from a geopal as a sort of gag gift. They are always in my pack, and have come in handy many times when GZ is in a holly, juniper shrub, or other prickly nasty flora. For caches in critter holes I learned already, poke it with a stick first, then look, then poke some more, then reach in. :rolleyes:

$50 and they don't even give the EN 388 rating? (Which, incidentally, I learned about from a cache).

I have a pair of Mechanix gloves. Not sure how much protection it provides, but it is comfortable and I still have good sensitivity at the fingertips.