What GPS are people using in Australia

Richard70au

Good Evening,

I was just wondering if anyone here in Australia are using the Lowrance Endura range of GPS and in particular the Safari model.

I have an old Garmin and it is good but would like to upgrade to a paperless model and like the look of the Lowrance.

What is the base map like? if you purchased it from overseas did it work oout of the box or did you have to purchase more maps?

Cheers

Richard70au.

Richard

First off, here's my review of the unit last year http://darrenosborne.com/2010/04/20/lowrance-endura-sierra-review/

Second, don't get it. Since that review, there has been NO software update for the AusPac units. This means the issues I had with the unit are still there. Some were sorted out with the US and Europe models, but not here. Also, the maps are awful. The topo maps are poor in resolution and the terrain maps only appear at a low zoom setting.

If you're currently using an 'old' Garmin, I'd recommend either the GPSMap62 or one of the yet-to-be released eTrex 20 or 30 units. It depends on your budget. You can also get free routable maps via OpenStreetMap for these. An alternative is the Magellan eXplorist range. The eXplorist GC (http://darrenosborne.com/2010/05/18/magellan-explorist-gc/) is a small and simple unit. If you have more money consider the 510 or 610 units. Once again, you can create OSM maps for them (510, 610 and 710).