Puzzle cash coordinates to close?

Hi, just a quick question. I have a great idea for a puzzle cache. There is another cache just over 0.1 miles from the coordinates of the actual cache which should be fine, however, the coordinates of the parking place for my cache which would be what is actually published are less than 0.1 miles from the existing cache. So the cache itself will be at least 0.1 miles away from the existing cache, but the the published coordinates for the parking will be too close. Is this ok?

A possibility is that I could publish some slightly further away parking coordinates which are available, but this seems a little silly as then everyone who does the cache will end up parking a third of a mile further away than they have to. The other possibility is to just make it a standard cache but this particular location lends itself really well to a puzzle cache with a fun story. Also the location is not really flexible as there is a particular feature of the location that is the whole point of the cache.

Thanks for your help!

Will.

Hi, just a quick question. I have a great idea for a puzzle cache. There is another cache just over 0.1 miles from the coordinates of the actual cache which should be fine, however, the coordinates of the parking place for my cache which would be what is actually published are less than 0.1 miles from the existing cache. So the cache itself will be at least 0.1 miles away from the existing cache, but the the published coordinates for the parking will be too close. Is this ok?

A possibility is that I could publish some slightly further away parking coordinates which are available, but this seems a little silly as then everyone who does the cache will end up parking a third of a mile further away than they have to. The other possibility is to just make it a standard cache but this particular location lends itself really well to a puzzle cache with a fun story. Also the location is not really flexible as there is a particular feature of the location that is the whole point of the cache.

Thanks for your help!

Will.

Hide the cache

Put the car park as a waypoint (question) as it's not something you've hidden

Change the co-ords of the listing to anything/anywhere you like. Start the listing with "Cache not located at the above co-ordinates"

Sorted :)

Edited by NattyBooshka

Actually, I thInk you'd be OK in this case...if I'm not mistaken the .10 mile rule only applies to physical stages of a cache, i.e. actual containers. Parking coordinates or spots where you have to go to get a puzzle clue (without there being an actual container there) don't apply, I think.

I could be wrong, I don't do puzzles or multis much...check with your reviewer to make sure.

Just be sure to mention that the cords are for parking and not the cache cords. Much like you would if you chose a random spot on the map near the cache location for the starting cords. Since the starting cords are basically a virtual they can be within the .1 mile limit of an existing cache without a problem.

6. Physical elements of different geocaches should generally be at least 0.10 miles apart. This separation is 528 ft or 161 m. A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of geocache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=304

Thanks for your help!

Will.

My understanding is that the proximity rule only applies to physical stages of a cache. So if your posted coordinates are for a suggested place to park, or some natural feature relevant to the puzzle, or the middle of a lake because you felt like posting it there, as long as there isn't a physical container hidden there it's not a problem.

In my caching territory I've seen the exact same coordinates used for "question to answer" stages of two caches at the same time, I've seen multiple puzzle caches posted on top of each other where the caches were around a circuit, and each one was posted in a place that may (or may not) be a good place to park to do the circuit.

The purpose of the proximity rule is to make sure people don't find one cache while looking for another. If one cache has a "question to answer" stage that says "how many steps are there up to the bridge" and another has a "question to answer" stage that says "how many arches does the bridge have" when they refer to the same bridge at the same coordinates, there is no confusion - you simply answer the question relevant to the cache you're hunting at the time.

6. Physical elements of different geocaches should generally be at least 0.10 miles apart. This separation is 528 ft or 161 m. A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of geocache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=304

However this is not strictly true as there seems to be one of those unwritten rules/guidelines :mad:

you have used the same coordinates for this cache as for your other cache GC***** (within a few feet). Now this presents a problem. Both caches will appear on a GPS screen/map on top of each other and be difficult to select. In this instance they will need to be at least 50 feet apart.

So in other-words make sure your start co-ords are at least 50 feet from the existing cache.

You've all passed today geocaching test, only physical stages are considered for proximity.

P.S. physical stages within a single multi or puzzle can be less than 528 feet apart from each other.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Does that mean we get 'Frog Points' ? :D