nearest.aspx broken with Hiptop / Sidekick browser

s4xton

I can no longer find caches with my Danger Hiptop / T-Mobile Sidekick. I get a "Server Error in '/' Application." with a description telling me what a 404 error is. ;-)

As I use this device for looking up caches and logging caches while at cache site, this essential for my use of geocaching.com. I never waste paper printing out pages as I always have the latest information wherever I am, and logging at the cache site how I go about geocaching.

The url that's erroring out is <http://www.geocaching.com/./nearest.aspx?...> reguardless if the variables used are lat, lon, zip, etc. It looks like it's choking on how the url is built.

This feature worked when I logged my last cache on Saturday.

Is the old one available somewhere for use, or how long do I have to wait for a fix?

Thanks,

-Aaron

I'll look into it. Please send a Hiptop / T-Mobile Sidekick to the following address:

Groundspeak

PMB 243

15600 NE 8th Street, Suite B1

Bellevue, WA 98008

Once I receive the Sidekick I'll do some testing to determine what is happening.

As an aside, I am working on a better mobile interface for doing cache searches from phone or whatever mobile application you plan to be using.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Thanks for looking into this.

If you are interested in testing, you can get the sdk, which includes a simulator.

http://developer.danger.com/

Explain who you are and what you're doing, and you'll be able to use the developer OS for the sidekick in *nix, OS X or Windows. If they don't give you access to what you need, let me know and I'll make sure you get it.

I'm devoted enough where I'd send you my old sidekick (grayscale), but you'll still need to get a SIM card for service... I may just do that if you are willing to either get service from T-Mobile, or convince Danger, Inc. to provide you with developer access on the unit.

(My guess, is that if you're interested enough, you'll just want to use the simulator anyway - much easier this way. <g&gticon_wink.gif

Thanks for your interest in resolving this issue.

It really seems to boil down to how urls are being sent to the unit with the mysterious "/./" in it. afaik, it generally parses this fine, but not at geocaching.com for some reason.

-Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by s4xton:

It really seems to boil down to how urls are being sent to the unit with the mysterious "/./" in it. afaik, it generally parses this fine, but not at geocaching.com for some reason.

Isn't this perfectly fine URL code?

<a href="./nearest_cache.aspx">  

It seems that the sidekick web browser is not parsing it correctly.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Isn't this perfectly fine URL code?

<a href="./nearest_cache.aspx">  

It seems that the sidekick web browser is not parsing it correctly.

Yes, it is perfectly fine, normally. For instance, on the sidekick if I go to:

http://s4xton.com/./photos/
it lands me at
http://s4xton.com/photos/

With your server, from

/hideseek/
forwards me to this url:

www.geocaching.com/./nearest.aspx?zip=55101&dist=10&submit1=Submit

With this on my screen:

Server Error in '/' Application

If I hit refresh, the same thing. For some reason your server tries to run your rootdir as the .aspx, at least afaik instead of parsing out the "./" That's only a hack guess, my knowledge of the subject isn't strong, and I do not work with Windows servers at all.

Strangly, if I edit that url to remove that extra part, it gives me the same error.

So, that confuses me a bit. I wish I could help more, but I don't know much more than what I've told you.

What I can help you with is getting the simulator so you can use the device on your machine using the actual code of the browser, to see how it looks yourself. I assume you'd be interested in this if you are optimizing a version for mobile devices. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help more with this.

Thanks again for looking into this.

-Aaron

Heh. I looked a little closer.

Again, I'm getting:

www.geocaching.com/./nearest.aspx?zip=55101&dist=10&submit1=Submit

I realize now that it doesn't contain "/seek/" in the url. I wonder why that is. Hrum. Well, I'm stumped. If I go in an manually enter it (pain in the butt on the sidekick), it works. Strange. Hope that tidbit may help.

Sorry I missed that before.

Thanks again,

-Aaron

Jeremy, I don't care what those other guys say, but you're A-OK!!!! ;-)

That fixed it up.

With this information - I'm going to do some testing on my own, and report my findings to Danger as well. I appreciate your help, and the fix! I'll be using this caching tomorrow. ;-)

Much apprecaited.

-Aaron