Pocket Query Generator

mikemtn

I created one and had it generated on Wednesday night (last night). It showed up in my inbox about an hour later (about 10:45 CDT).

I have some reservations about the Mobi reader on Palm, but Groundspeak's needs and requirements are different from my own. I wouldn't choose to use Mobi for my own use, but if I can keep searchable, linked geocaching data on my Palm handheld, any solution is better than none.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I made the mistake of downloading my whole province.... 6000+ pages!!!!!!!!

I don't like this clunky viewer either but again, if you need cross platform I guess that is the only way. I prefer the palm owned ebook reader.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Clunky? What's clunky? Have you used the "find" feature by waypoint? Also, the Table of Contents are in alphabetical order. Using your GPS with your eBook works pretty well. I've tested it "on the road" with 500 caches and its pretty effective.

Perhaps you could provide a more descriptive reasoning as to why this doesn't work for you. It would certainly help me understand what needs to be added/changed.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

To answer the original question, mikemtn, once the setup gets out of beta it will be running all the time. So if you set up a query you should get results within an hour or two, depending on the queue. For now I run it manually to watch for errors.

Jeremy Irish

WOW! I stored a single query and got the results back in both formats. Very nice. I am going to have to map out (pun intended) a few more.

A few critiques on the ebook format, if I may.

First (Overall): I like it icon_cool.gif, but is there a way to put the license at the end, perhaps like "Appendix A". icon_wink.gif

Second (The Table of contents): Is there a way to let US (the users) select the order that they are returned in (with the default being alphabetical) when we create our search?? Even though the find works, if I am doing XX caches from location.... ah, nevermind, the find works fast enough. I would ask that ONE more thing be added and that is the location (state). For those living near a border, it might be important.

Third (Cache document itself): I like the HIDDEN ON date, could we move it below the title and also place a last logged date in there Total finds or a ratio of finds/other might be nice too, but that might be a server load unless it is a field calculated and stored in the cache record.

Forth (Cache document itself): Description labels (Short and Long). I know it is cosmetic, but can they be BOLD. Professionally, I tend to make all my labels Bold and the data simple text.

Fifth (Cache document itself): I like the icons on the cache page in the the logs and miss them here. icon_frown.gif Is there anyway to get those icons (images) here. Would that load things down too much? If so, are there "wingding" symbols that we can use?

Sixth (Cache document itself): Can we control the number of log entries returned? Some people, for whatever reason, may want none and we have found an occasion or two there the sixth log would have made the find easier.

These are just my opinions and suggestions. Do with them what you may. You all are doing a great job.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

WOW! I stored a single query and got the results back in both formats. Very nice. I am going to have to map out (pun intended) a few more.

A few critiques on the ebook format, if I may.

First (Overall): I like it icon_cool.gif, but is there a way to put the license at the end, perhaps like "Appendix A". icon_wink.gif

Second (The Table of contents): Is there a way to let US (the users) select the order that they are returned in (with the default being alphabetical) when we create our search?? Even though the find works, if I am doing XX caches from location.... ah, nevermind, the find works fast enough. I would ask that ONE more thing be added and that is the location (state). For those living near a border, it might be important.

Third (Cache document itself): I like the HIDDEN ON date, could we move it below the title and also place a last logged date in there Total finds or a ratio of finds/other might be nice too, but that might be a server load unless it is a field calculated and stored in the cache record.

Forth (Cache document itself): Description labels (Short and Long). I know it is cosmetic, but can they be BOLD. Professionally, I tend to make all my labels Bold and the data simple text.

Fifth (Cache document itself): I like the icons on the cache page in the the logs and miss them here. icon_frown.gif Is there anyway to get those icons (images) here. Would that load things down too much? If so, are there "wingding" symbols that we can use?

Sixth (Cache document itself): Can we control the number of log entries returned? Some people, for whatever reason, may want none and we have found an occasion or two there the sixth log would have made the find easier.

These are just my opinions and suggestions. Do with them what you may. You all are doing a great job.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Got my first pocket query today. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic, mobireader or not (haven't tried it on my iPaq, or with M$Reader as I'm at work and shouldn't be doing this right now anyway)...

One WEIRD thing did happen that I've noticed. A few old archived caches show up in the list I selected (100 caches in Louisiana). Specifically

GC1CF1 and GC4B1. Not to mention GC3C74, which I've never heard of before and GC1BFE that I archived myself.

A BIG GREAT thanks to Jeremy, Elias, and the others for another GREAT feature!

Be warned, installing Mobipocket on your machine causes a lot of junk to happen.

First off, read the EULA, compare it to Plucker's or CSpotRun's. Check the subscriptions in the "helpfull" mobipocket companion that gets tossed on your task bar(unasked). It will have you subscribed to several news feeds (unasked).

You will also get sent to the wbe site(unasked) wher you are offered all sorts of things you can buy.

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I love the new search feature. I tried a couple today and have received the reports. They are very helpful.

I have two suggestions:

1. An ORDER BY selection. I'd like to be able to sort the results by something other than waypoint id. For example, how about distance from home, name of cache, date found, etc. This is mostly for the eBook format, because it doesn't make much sense in XML.

2. A INFO TO INCLUDE selection. I'd like to be able to exclude all logs, include all logs or include just my log. I'd like to include or not include the hint. I'd like to be able to include the cache description, difficulty, terrain, hint, and log entries in the XML file. If EasyGPS can't handle the extra elements, just have an alternate XML format output.

I think that if there was a flexible way to get at data in XML format, a lot fewer people would be trying to crawl the pages.

Thanks for all the great work!!

Just created my first pocket query (no e-mail yet) and I REALLY like the concept here. Looking forward to that report.

I have not seen this suggested here (and I don't think the system provides this option) so I thought I'd toss it into the mix...

Consider adding a query by log element. That is, I'd like to see all the caches within certain criteria (type, location, etc.) that have been logged in the last X number of days. I like to read the logs almost as much as I like hunting caches...but I don't want to put lots of caches into my watch list. Seems like the additional query option would do the trick nicely. Personally, I'd like to see all the caches that I've already found which were logged in the last week...just to see what's new with each of them on a weekly basis.

Just something to consider. Love the features. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Unfortunately it only works with MobiPocket, but MobiPocket runs on both Palm and WindowsCE/PocketPC devices. I'm investigating a thread I read where there is a Mac/Linux version as well. Once you install MobiPocket, you can navigate to:

Start -> All Programs -> Startup and right-click on the app they drop in there. This annoys me too. Fortunately they do not drop adware on your machine (but you should check out the free Lavasoft's Ad-aware software anyway for whatever else might be hiding on your machine).

I just added locationless caches to the generator(Which I'm considering changing the name, but that's for another thread), as well as the ability to filter out the ones you own (made sense).

The other suggestions on the list are great! Keep 'em coming.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

I just got my first search result. I told it to do 100 caches from my zip code. I also told it to return all caches that I haven't found. Everything seems to have worked, but there are a lot of caches within just a few miles of me that did now show up in the search results.

Did I do something wrong?

Scott

Team My Blue Heaven

Submitted my query earlier this afternoon and got back my returns just a while ago. There's a couple things I don't like.

1. I'd like an option for the return to be an eye friendly html file, or just plain text within the email with links. I really like the ability to do the powerfull queries with all kinds of fancy criteria, but I have no intention of downloading the returns into my Palm or into EasyGPS. I just want to LOOK at them, and click links to the full cache pages.

2. I'd like to filter out caches I've hidden. I can filter out those I've already found, but I'm equally disinterested in looking for those I've hidden.

As it is, I don't see myself using this.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

1. Would it be possible to add a check box to disable logs or a pull down to select number of logs from 0->ALL?

2. Link to decrypt hint. The problem that I have is that the hint ends up half on one page and half on another. I can't scroll in any way except page by page and so copying the hint to the hint decoder really SUCKS!!! icon_smile.gif

3. Need to be able to filter archived messages.

4. I would prefer a Tree view instead of everything being in one big document, I don't know if this is possible.

5. I'd prefer that a query would return a list of caches, just like a search does now and then I select the caches I want and hit send to submit a query job to the queue. Then I would have a limit of 5 submits a day.

6. When scrolling up, the bullets disappear from the TOC an it gets really ugly!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

1. Would it be possible to add a check box to disable logs or a pull down to select number of logs from 0->ALL?

2. Link to decrypt hint. The problem that I have is that the hint ends up half on one page and half on another. I can't scroll in any way except page by page and so copying the hint to the hint decoder really SUCKS!!! icon_smile.gif

3. Need to be able to filter archived messages.

4. I would prefer a Tree view instead of everything being in one big document, I don't know if this is possible.

5. I'd prefer that a query would return a list of caches, just like a search does now and then I select the caches I want and hit send to submit a query job to the queue. Then I would have a limit of 5 submits a day.

6. When scrolling up, the bullets disappear from the TOC an it gets really ugly!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I got my first PRC file and loaded it all up...seems to work fine so far (Palm Vx). Definitely usable! icon_smile.gif

For now, I'll stick with the Plucker script I've been using, since it handles benchmarks as well as caches, etc., but I can see myself possibly moving to this new feature once it's fully functional.

I got my first PRC file and loaded it all up...seems to work fine so far (Palm Vx). Definitely usable! icon_smile.gif

For now, I'll stick with the Plucker script I've been using, since it handles benchmarks as well as caches, etc., but I can see myself possibly moving to this new feature once it's fully functional.

WOW! This is great! icon_biggrin.gif Now I gotta get a PDA. I would like to echo a few suggestions.

1. Could we have a way to sort the order of the caches? Distance from origin would be helpfull.

2. Could we have a way to decrypt the clue?

3. Could we have a choice on number of logs to recieve?

4. I found a number of archived caches in my test query, although there was no indication that they were archived. Could we select whether we want to see archived caches, or at least have archived caches indicated as such?

Will undoubtedly come up with other suggestions later, but these are the first things that hit me. This is a great tool, and any improvements will be "icing on the cake".

Thanks for the great work Jeremy! I am so glad i joined!

Boundertom

WOW! This is great! icon_biggrin.gif Now I gotta get a PDA. I would like to echo a few suggestions.

1. Could we have a way to sort the order of the caches? Distance from origin would be helpfull.

2. Could we have a way to decrypt the clue?

3. Could we have a choice on number of logs to recieve?

4. I found a number of archived caches in my test query, although there was no indication that they were archived. Could we select whether we want to see archived caches, or at least have archived caches indicated as such?

Will undoubtedly come up with other suggestions later, but these are the first things that hit me. This is a great tool, and any improvements will be "icing on the cake".

Thanks for the great work Jeremy! I am so glad i joined!

Boundertom

I removed the archived and unapproved caches from the list. For some reason they slipped through. Future searches will not have them.

Sorting by distance will be a tough one, but I'll put it on my list.

A tree would be difficult since it really isn't structured that way (eBook). When the bullets get hosed (I noticed that annoying trick too) you can click on the button at the top of MobiPocket and it will take you directly to the table of contents.

Obviously the ebook will not be a fully functional Geocaching.com site. That would involved a customized app for both palm and pocketpc. However, we may be able to add some indexes at the end to help you on distances.

Someone asked about images. Cache images will most likely be added (as an option) in the future, once it gets installed in production. Since I am currently running this on my laptop for testing I'll have to have the machine on the same local network to be efficient. Of course this will create a massive file (at 500 caches, the file is around a meg!)

Team My Blue Heaven - Did you say you received more caches than you should have or less?

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

dear jeremy, i think this is great. my only request would be, the following. first, dycrypt the hints and leave the last logged visit on the palm. if its easier to put a feature choice thingy (pick what info you want) then thats cool too. thanks for the hard work. its a great start and gonna get used alot.

SR and dboggny. WHAT?!?!

icon_biggrin.gif Love the new Pocket Query! I haven't played with it much yet (still waiting for my first search, which I just submitted), but this will be super for road trips!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

icon_biggrin.gif Love the new Pocket Query! I haven't played with it much yet (still waiting for my first search, which I just submitted), but this will be super for road trips!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Originally posted by summitt_dweller:

Consider adding a query by log element.

I added another feature where you can search for caches that have been logged in the last 7 days. I can't give you parameters but this should be effective enough if you made it a weekly query.

Jeremy Irish

Hmmm, first THANKS Jeremy. This will be a great addition to say the least.

Now for the feedback

- I found it 'dreadfully' slow searching on my Palm IIIxe. I downloaded 600kb of caches within 100 miles of zip 98023, it was something like 2500 pages and basically got too frustrated waiting for a search.

- I have to admit I liked the Pathtique stuff saved in iSiloX format far better, which seems far quicker in searches, although (granted) you have the logs too. Of course the required iSilo reader is shareware after 30 days though.

- perhaps you should add a feature where only the last XXX logs per cache can be specified. There are some with 70+ finders that have log entries that are pretty much waste. Personally, the last 10 logs (for me) would be plenty to have.

- I definitely like the easyGPS format that can be specified, will make my life MUCH easier by letting me bulk download rather than 25 at a time the hard way.

- I agree with the previous comment where it would be helpful to permit us to download a 'home' entry as well.

- you have a bug in your code where if you specify a query, and don't say which cache types (ie, all types) you want, the 'save query' blows up. It would be better to have mandatory fields flagged as mandatory, much like the 'hide a cache' form does a nice job of.

Looks like it'll be great. Thanks for the open beta

Only the last 5 logs are listed for each cache. I'll see how I can introduce the # of logs to list as an option.

Regarding iSolo or other formats - We were looking for the best application that we could a) quickly generate documents on the fly (as in programically), :smile: had a supported (and free) "reader" for ease of use, c) and reader that works on both the Palm and WindowsCE (two of the most popular PDA operating systems).

We're expecting to get thousands of customized queries daily, and therefore needed an optimal way of executing each query. MobiPocket was the winner since it had a dll easily available once you got the open eBook format sorted out. Now we're working on efficiencies for creating customized queries.

Granted, the search may be slow on an older Palm, but the concept is that you have an EasyGPS loc file in you GPS and the details on your PDA, so you can pull one up on both machines and read it if you're close by. One trick is to click to get to your Table of Contents, and find the cache that way. So you don't necessarily need to do a text find. The TOC will take you directly to the page for the cache.

Once we get this thing humming, we'll look into other formats. We basically have the data retrieval stuff worked out, so it's the display methods we need to work on.

Obviously the first go around won't please everybody (In fact I doubt we'll ever please *everybody*). However we're pretty proud of what we have so far. Hopefully it will please many others as well.

Jeremy Irish

Very cool, thanks Jeremy, Elias, and anyone else involved.

Everybody seems to have covered my wish list for the MobiBook stuff already. I'd like to add two requests regarding the LOC file.

1) Can the records be generated with the "Geocache" icon (and "Geocache Found" if found caches are requested) instead of the generic "Waypoint" icon?

2) Can the numeric portion of the waypoint ID be zero-filled (i.e., GC02CF instead of GC2CF)? That would be consistent with what is now on the web site and they will sort more logically.

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

How about a simple "How to use a PDA to access Queries!"

First make sure you've got plenty of free memory in your PDA (see your owner's manual if you don't know how to find that; they're all different). I don't have my PDA with me right now, but I think it was about 650k for the reader plus whatever you'll need to hold your query results. Now go here and download the version of MobiPocket Reader you need for your PDA (Palm or Pocket PC). It's free.

Install the reader, again consulting your PDA manual if necessary. Then, once you receive your query result file, install it (on the Palm, data files get installed the same way as applications; I don't know how it's done on a Pocket PC). Then the next time you synchronize with your desktop, you should have both the reader and the "book" downloaded on to your PDA. One of the books that the software installs is a help file on how to use MobiBook, but I think MobiBook is pretty intuitive.

MobiBook is also going to install something called WebCompanion. If you want to get rid of it (which seems to be a popular decision) just delete its shortcut from your Start Menu's "Startup" folder on your desktop.

That's about as simple as I can make it.

I loaded the .loc file into the latest version of ExpertGPS and noticed that there are quite a few missing caches. I just picked a zip code and "all caches", and some within a few miles of me are missing. It seems like many of them are multi caches or "?" caches, although one is a micro (but other micros are shown?).

I think the holy grail for all of this would be a single .gpx (.loc's newer version from Topografix) with all the description information emebedded as XML fields.

When you loaded it into easygps, eg would ignore the fields it doesn't recognize.

The next step would be a custom windows app that generates the document for either palm doc reader, mobireader, a WinCE reader etc.

(Does pocket IE support XSL?)

I bet there are lots of people out there like the author of Geobuddy who would write a custom app...in fact the author of Geobuddy has a little palm programming experience from what I understand....

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Obviously the first go around won't please everybody (In fact I doubt we'll ever please *everybody*). However we're pretty proud of what we have so far. Hopefully it will please many others as well.

Jeremy Irish

Well, I am not everyone, but I am VERY pleased with what you have done so far. As a solutions developer myself, I know how impossible it is to think of EVERY person's point of view. You have to shoot for the majority and usability. Good job, I think you have it. And it looks like you are willing to make some changes (and take other suggestions under advisement).

May I make another request, as far as query output format goes? The LOCation files are already XML and both EasyGPS and ExpertGPS ignore tags that are not part of thier package. Would it be possible to get the short and long description fields, the difficulty and Terrain fields, and the log fields into the LOC files too? Ebook is not a bad choice, but as you see, there are other users out there (Linux and MAC) and people who don't care for Ebook. If the data were in XML, I am sure one of us out here could write a XSLT to format it properly to be read by any palm browser. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

Bear & Ting

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:.......One trick is to click to get to your Table of Contents, and find the cache that way. So you don't necessarily need to do a text find. Jeremy Irish

First let me say this is GREAT. Both from the PDA and EasyGPS angle.

One point on my first download is the fact that the table of contents did not list alphabetically. I don't know if I did something wrong or not but I've looked at the waypoint list from every direction and can't see a chronological order in there. The "find" option works but I like your suggestion shown above.

I have another search generating today so I will see if it is alphabetical or not.

Thanks again, Olar

wavey.gif

I received my first queries back last night. I must say...GREAT!! But...

A couple of nit-picks...Like a previous poster requested, it'd sure be nice to have the option to have the .loc file contain the "Symbol" for Geocache or Found Geocache (depending on the query type) that so many GPSr support. I find it SO TEDIOUS to go through the hundreds of waypoints in EasyGPS just to edit the icon!! I've tried to edit the .loc file I received, but have not been able to discover what the proper tags for the symbol should be.

Also, I noticed the missing caches as well. It appears to me that the ones missing from my query result were those most recently added as caches...just those I want to try and find on my next outing!!!

I wonder if it's a case of having the possibility of more caches fit the sort and filter criteria than the maximum number of caches returned. By this I mean, suppose you set up a query that would return 150 caches (based on type, difficulty, distance, etc.) but have selected to "Give Me" only 100 caches. What happens to the 50 caches? Is the query set up to automatically reduce the radius of the search so that only 100 hits return? I should think this would be ideal, but that does not appear to be what's happening.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Obviously the ebook will not be a fully functional Geocaching.com site. That would involved a customized app for both palm and pocketpc.

Actualy there already is a solution which lets users have a slice of the Geocaching site in HTML format that is also converted to Palm readable format. This solution runs on Mac, Windows as well as Linux and *nixes of many flavors.

Its called Plucker.

There is already a site that is doing feed from geocaching.com set up for many zip code areas.

http://www.pathetique.com/geocaching/

The pluses about this HTML based solution is its much easier to package up and you can do neat things like links to Nearby Caches from the current cache (which I LOVE using ) and decrypting the hints on the fly.

Also it is amazingly cross platform since it uses python as its base. Python runs on just about any OS and computer type.

It also doesnt not have the extra junk and licenses Mobipocket foists on its users.

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

- I have to admit I liked the Pathtique stuff saved in iSiloX format far better, which seems far quicker in searches, although (granted) you have the logs too. Of course the required iSilo reader is shareware after 30 days though.

Use Plucker. No Shareware fees, its open source and free. It also is great for viewing and creating your own pages for viewing onthe palm. Sinces its HTML based once you know HTML you are good to go for anything you want to do.

-tom

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

1. Yes, I think the missing caches are related to how new they are...since the results are sorted by cache ID, I'm guessing they're getting truncated at some point and dropping off the newest caches.

2. A big thumbs-up for Plucker. I use it currently with some custom PHP and Perl scripts to generate a browsable database of caches *and* benchmarks. Plucker's Palm reader application and databases seem to have a smaller memory footprint than the current eBook solution, and the search function seems a lot faster.