Find a cache by it's first letter

Is there a way to search for caches by the first letter of the cache name? I'm working on a challenge cache where the goal is to find a cache that starts with each letter of the alphabet. I'm down to needing an X and Z, and the closest Z is in NM status. I know I can just look at the lists of those who have solved it, so do know about caches nearby (or somewhat nearby). But, I'm planning a road trip and want to look in other areas if not successful locally.

Along the same lines, how about finding caches by CO that start with each number between 0 and 9 and all letters of the alphabet? Other than going through the list of active cachers.

Thanks.

Run pocket queries for the area in which you regularly find geocaches. In the course of a week you can download the nearest 35,000 geocaches. Load the files into third party software such as GSAK, and sort by the Hider/Owner column. (Caution: the "hidden by" field may be different than the actual account name.)

If you don't feel like downloading all that data, ask someone who maintains such an offline database for help. As a cache reviewer, I maintain an up-to-date database for several states. I am happy to help geocachers in my territory find that elusive "X" or "0" cache owner.

Run pocket queries for the area in which you regularly find geocaches. In the course of a week you can download the nearest 35,000 geocaches. Load the files into third party software such as GSAK, and sort by the Hider/Owner column. (Caution: the "hidden by" field may be different than the actual account name.)

If you don't feel like downloading all that data, ask someone who maintains such an offline database for help. As a cache reviewer, I maintain an up-to-date database for several states. I am happy to help geocachers in my territory find that elusive "X" or "0" cache owner.

Good idea, and what would you suggest for parameters for downloading w/o a lot of overlap? There are 1000 caches that I haven't found within 13.2 miles from my home location. So, how would I get caches beyond that?

Good idea, and what would you suggest for parameters for downloading w/o a lot of overlap? There are 1000 caches that I haven't found within 13.2 miles from my home location. So, how would I get caches beyond that?

In your pocket query, set a radius around a point and then split the search into date ranges (when placed) to get each PQ under 1000.

(Edited, because the first version didn't make much sense.)

Edited by Ecylram

I read someone on my local forums suggest the following:

Yes! You just have to use the 4th dimension: TIME

Because you can filter based on *placement time* (which doesn't change for

caches) you can cover any area with no overlap by slicing the caches up by

placement time into multiple PQs.

For example' date=' I cover all caches within 60 miles of the Texas Capitol dome with

only 7 PQs:

Austin 00-05 (Jan 2000 - Mar 2006)

Austin 06-07 (Apr 2006 - Dec 2007)

Austin 08 (Jan 2008 - Dec 2008)

Austin 09 (Jan 2009 - Sep 2009)

Austin 09-10 (Oct 2009 - Apr 2010)

Austin 10 (May 2010 - Dec 2010)

Austin 11 (Jan 2011 - Dec 2011)

-*real name edited out* (Indigo Parrish)[/quote']

Its a little more abstract, but it really worked for me

EDIT: Upon second glance Ecylram basically said the exact same thing. :anicute:

Edited by d+n.s