how to locate someone in case of an abduction

i need to be able to locate my children in case of an abduction.there was such an incident nearby which made me worry.In case of an abduction the tracking unit need to be able to work inside a car trunk with many buildings around.Ability to work with obstacles is the most important parameter for me.I searched google and find lots of gps tracking devices but i dont know which one is able to do this.

I would hide a mobile phone to my childrens backpack as gsm signals can be tracked indoors and in car by police but turned out to be too inaccurate (500m to kms).

I would ask

1-if i use a mobile phone with a bluetooth gps module and tracking software can i accomplish this

2-i read agps uses gsm signals where gps is unavailable but how is accuracy and ability work inside a car trunk

3-is there any tracking device which can accomplish this

4-is there another solution

i can pay max 200$

There are many cell phone providers that have services you can put on your kids cell phones that you can log into a site and see where your kid is at any given time (assuming they have the phone on them.) This actually uses the phones GPS and is very accurate. One of my coworkers was telling me about this and I did not believe him. He whipped out his phone and loaded an app that showed the exact location of his kid right then. This in theory should work though a car trunk....it won't be down to the foot because of interference but would get you to 30 ft or so.

Another option is a device like the Spot communicator. This is mainly used by hikers/mountain climbers so loved ones can find them if they get lost/injured. The problem with this method and devices like this is they would have to be carrying the device (looks like a small hockey puck) at all times which is not realistic. It would make more sense to go with the cell phone service since they would always have their phone on them.

Most smartphones have apps that gives the right location and indeed they work perfect.

In a trunk in a city you don't have a sat GPS reception, thus it will use celltowers to locate IF the cell works in the trunk.

A hostage taker will not ask the kid "where's your backpack" or take the pack with the kid, therefore as good as it works, it's false security.

My daughter is only 2 but when she starts driving she'll have one of these Garmin GTU-10's tucked under the bumper at all times.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686

I might even sew one of these units into her school backpack when she starts kindergarten. True, an abductor may not take the backpack but it's better than nothing. The only way to have something fool proof is to spend thousands on a GPS implant which, for many obvious resons, is impractical.

Edited by yogazoo

I also doubt that the OP's requirement that such a unit work from within a trunk is a happening event. That's just a sheetmetal can -- not much chance for GPS reception there.

On my way out to lunch for a goof I drove with my Oregon off to subway. When I got there I turned it on, threw it in the trunk before it had a chance to grab a signal, and then went inside to eat.

After coming out I opened the trunk, quickly took a look and saw it knew where I was (within 164 ft.) Seems like you would get similar results. Sure it wouldn't be down to the foot but it would at least get you in the ballpark of where the signal was coming from.

Nothing can replace responsible parenting, imo.

True, very true, however I don't think a replacement to responsible parenting is what was being sought here. Let's call it an augmentation or extension to responsible parenting.

Your child/teen may say they're going over to friend X's house, but how many times did you say that to your parents and you ended up at friend Y's house? Or how many times did you sneak out of your house, push your car down the street to start it up (so Mom wouldn't wake up at the sound of a car starting) to spend the night driving around with friends? Responsible parenting is one thing, but responsible kids are another. A GPS surviellance system can be used as an insurance policy and could save their life.

With the GTU-10, I could make an invisible fence to be in effect from 10PM-5AM and if my child sneaks out in the night I would know instantly. Kids also don't go anywhere without their cell phones these days. There are apps to monitor their location. In this day and age, being tech savvy and using the technologies at your disposal IS being a responsible parent.

Go to the Vet and have one of those chips implanted which they use on dogs and cats.

That's not a GPS chip, the chip only contains a code which can be read by vets and animal shelters, which is then looked up in a database to retrieve the owner's information.

My point exactly. When all the other options are considered, an embedded chip is probably the best one can do, other than practicing good parenting skills and common sense. Kids should memorize their address and phone number as soon as possible and taught to recognize suspicious situations and how to react (RUN! SCREAM!). Playing it safe is one thing. Obsessing over this sort of thing is not healthy for either parents or child.

Watch a lot more TV and grade B movies, and listen carefully to the Art Bell radio program every night. Soon you will have in-depth knowledge of all scientific advancements and available technology. No doubt you will be able to locate yourself and your kids via remote viewing then mentally teleport them wherever you want.

=)

It also might be a good idea to get the child enrolled in some self defense/martial arts classes in the area. Obviously this won't help much is the person has a gun or knife but it could save their life one day. I have trained in brazilian jiu-jitsu and you would be amazed how well you can defend yourself against someone who is much larger and stronger than you.

With all due respect, you guys are WAY out there in paranoia crazyland.

If you need to bug your kids, you have bigger problems than worrying absurdly about their safety in a one in ten million abduction fear. They're far more likely to get hit by a car or fall out of a tree or something.

Nothing can replace responsible parenting, imo.

True, very true, however I don't think a replacement to responsible parenting is what was being sought here. Let's call it an augmentation or extension to responsible parenting.

Your child/teen may say they're going over to friend X's house, but how many times did you say that to your parents and you ended up at friend Y's house? Or how many times did you sneak out of your house, push your car down the street to start it up (so Mom wouldn't wake up at the sound of a car starting) to spend the night driving around with friends? Responsible parenting is one thing, but responsible kids are another. A GPS surviellance system can be used as an insurance policy and could save their life.

With the GTU-10, I could make an invisible fence to be in effect from 10PM-5AM and if my child sneaks out in the night I would know instantly. Kids also don't go anywhere without their cell phones these days. There are apps to monitor their location. In this day and age, being tech savvy and using the technologies at your disposal IS being a responsible parent.

A lot depends on the child and the relationships and trust the family share at various stages of upbringing. Having the freedom to be a responsible child could be what makes the difference between their safely and the type of risk taking that could put them in danger. I would say that responsible parents have their children use their mobile phones to call home and routinely update them where they are. Once they are driving, it is even more important they keep you updated with where they are if they are doing something different usual. If they are used to routinely using their mobile to keep in touch, if it is taken off them it is a signal that they have not called in and if they are then also late home and they are not the type to be late, you can call the police. The sooner the police are alerted if there is a problem, the better. Yes, there are new location apps for phones which are improving all the time, ones which still track when the phone is off or even if the SIM is taken out, but the phone can be snatched and thrown away, or sold on pretty quickly. That might still lead to something, but the most important thing is that the police are informed as soon as possible with evidence that the child is indeed missing.

Wiring my house to see if my children sneak out at night? Hm...If they had got into trouble with the police, yes I would consider doing it, I guess. But otherwise, I think that would erode the trust between us, and it would be like putting them on house arrest - and creating a boundary for them to then want to get around or over. By the time they can drive, they won't need to sneak out, but they will still need to negotiate when they borrow my car! I hope they will have an active social life around their work and sports and other pass-times and at least keep me informed.