GPSr

RhinoInAToga

We've been looking for an affordable GPSr for a while now, and today the other half of the RhinoInAToga team found three at a pawn shop for very reasonable prices. (I know, ebay, craigslist, etc.. We like to shop where we can handle the merchandise.)

The three are all Garmins: etrex (which I have seen are discontinued, why?), 45XL (which seems to be an older model), & 38 (which seems to be an older model as well) We don't mind older models, as we are always on such a tight budget, as long as they perform well.

Can anyone give me info on these, as well as recommendations for what you would get if on a shoestring budget as well? Thanks!

I have one of the old yellow eTrex devices (before there were different models of eTrex). It is certainly functional, although (1) it doesn't have a high-sensitivity receiver, like modern handheld units do; and (2) it requires a serial cable to transfer data from a computer to the GPSr.

I have one of the old yellow eTrex devices (before there were different models of eTrex). It is certainly functional, although (1) it doesn't have a high-sensitivity receiver, like modern handheld units do; and (2) it requires a serial cable to transfer data from a computer to the GPSr.

So, it's functional & might be alright for a tighter budget, but it's not recommended. ;) that's ok. When we can afford better for a hobby we'll upgrade. Right now I don't want to blow the money for a top of the line one, in the near future that will change. It just has to get us through this year.

I'm sorry.. The fact that there's a different forum for this type of post completely left my head. I'm taking this advice, & the reviews from the other forum to heart, & we think we're going with the 45XL, but we have another place we want to check out first. Thanks for the advice, NiraD. If this post needs to be closed, or moved, that's ok with me. Sorry again.

If you are buying a 45XL, an old eTrex or GPS 38 don't spend too much on it. Anything more than $5 or $10 would be a ripoff. Well Maybe $20 for the eTrex. I've given away far better units.

Look for a used Magellan Meridian Gold if you want a decent, older unit. You should be able to find one for around $30.

Edited by briansnat