Getting my first coins!

Viridios

I have been caching for over 2 years, and I have finally taken the plunge! I will be getting my first 3 geocoins tomorrow! I love kijiji...

Now, the important question. Should I hold on to them or let them go? I would hate for them to go missing, but then again, that's part of owning geocoins. What percentage of coins go missing?

I have been caching for over 2 years, and I have finally taken the plunge! I will be getting my first 3 geocoins tomorrow! I love kijiji...

Now, the important question. Should I hold on to them or let them go? I would hate for them to go missing, but then again, that's part of owning geocoins. What percentage of coins go missing?

I have a coin out there, TB37G0X, and it has moved over 2300 miles since I released it the end of October of last year.... I say release one, and see how long and far it travels, and if you want to end up wanting to add it back into your collection, you could add into the mission that you would like to have it returned to a cache in your area by a certain date, and when it gets back, you could always "retire" it and put it in your collection, and it will have a lot of memories....

Happy caching....

ChrisEMT1

If you don't mind losing them then let it go. Otherwise keep it. Weather you choose to activate your coins or not is up to you. Some people like activating them. As for me i keep mine unactivated save one. That one i use as a millage tracker. It stays with me when i go caching and visits all the caches i visit.

What percentage of coins go missing?

From my experience ALL of them.

I have some with serious miles still traveling after 4 years, some have gone missing from the first cache the were left in. Eventually I guess they will all end up as missing but I have enjoyed seeing them travel and hearing about where they have been.

If you don't want to loose it don't set it free.

I have let bunches of coins go into the world. I'd say 15-20% are missing at any given time. A few have shown up after months and months of being MIA. I enjoy watching them go, and know how fun it is to find one in a cache, so even if they will get lost, I still put them out.

Most of the coins I have put out have gone missing. I only put out ones that I dont mind loosing and I collect the ones that I really dont want to loose. Usually, I find some on sale at a low price to set out traveling, with the expectation that it might disappear.

I had the same concerns as you, so the first two coins that I sent out were micros. They are still moving along. In fact, I have one in Belgium right now (I'm in the U.S.). However, after releasing them I found another cacher's virtual coin. I contacted the individual, and they were very helpful in providing me with information on how to create my own. Now, not everyone in the geocaching community agrees with this practice, but I have had a nice response from the cachers that have found mine. This is the only way I release my coins into the wild. What I do is photograph the front and backs of the coin, print them, and laminate them. When I activate the coin, I upload pictures of the coin but make sure the tracking code is blacked out. This prevents people from discovering the coins while sitting behind their computer, going through the gallery. However, the laminated coin has the code on it, just like the coin would. Then I attach a coin buddy (can be found on www.geoswag.com) to the laminated coin and release it into a cache! This way I get to see my coin travel, but I don't take the chance of having it stolen either. I explain this in my coin descriptions and ask other geocachers who don't agree with this practice to leave my coin for someone else to find. Please let me know if you have any questions about this. I would be more than happy to help you and answer any questions you have.

I was very glad I had started doing this when I went to a local event and heard from another geocacher that there was an individual in our area that had a geocaching account simply to pull up caches with coins in them. This individual would then go out to the caches and steal the coins. This may be rare in the community, but it does happen. I would really think about how much you really like the coin and how important it is to you. I would not let it go if you are not willing to loose it!

On a side note, I do activate all of my geocoins for security reasons. That way if one is ever stolen from me in anyway, it will be able to be tracked back to me if someone goes online to activate it or check the status.