977-2

Proof that I'm the worlds worst geocacher. There is a cache that is across the street from the fairgrounds where Geowoodstock 9 was held called Fair-ly Well Hidden Cache II. Needless to say that it had a LOT of finds last weekend. Hundreds in fact.

As of this writing there are 977 found it logs on the cache and 2 DNFs. One of those two DNFs came when the cacher decided not to hunt the cache. The other is mine and I looked.

Proof that I'm the worlds worst geocacher. There is a cache that is across the street from the fairgrounds where Geowoodstock 9 was held called Fair-ly Well Hidden Cache II. Needless to say that it had a LOT of finds last weekend. Hundreds in fact.

As of this writing there are 977 found it logs on the cache and 2 DNFs. One of those two DNFs came when the cacher decided not to hunt the cache. The other is mine and I looked.

Brian, we always knew you were a special guy. One in a thousand. Well, one in 979 anyway.... :lol:

Don't you just hate it when that happens? Thanks for sharing your experience and showing the rest of us it's really OK if you have a DNF, even if it's the only DNF on the cache. Better luck next time!

Those sorts of things seem to happen to me more than I'd care to admit. *sigh* I don't really consider myself a cacher. :anitongue:

I would be willing to bet that there are 547 unlogged dnf's.

There's nothing so satisfying as logging the first or only dnf on a cache, and then watching the flood of "found it" logs roll in..."easy find", "quick and easy", "walked right up to it", "saw it before we got out of the car".... <_<

Those sorts of things seem to happen to me more than I'd care to admit. *sigh* I don't really consider myself a cacher. :anitongue:

Same here. On my trip to wenatchee I DNF'ed a cache called Cinos, which should be an easy one, until i realized I put the coords wrong.

I'm still a little irritated and a lot baffled over GC28PQ5, a golden ammo can in a hedgerow, D1.5. There are 93 finds as of right now, and 1 DNF. Mine. Last April, so, no, no backdated DNFs rolling in after mine. I spent 20 minutes or so searching the very small area where it could have been and came up with nothing. And then I went on a little further to GC1Y0G3, a black regular size cache in the same hedgerow, and found it within seconds of arriving at GZ.

But then, ISAG.

Same here. On my trip to wenatchee I DNF'ed a cache called Cinos, which should be an easy one, until i realized I put the coords wrong.

Oops! I always worry I'm doing that, and double and triple check coords, which can be annoying. Downloading is much better, or even the iphone, even though the accuracy isn't very good.

lol....i personally hate logging a DNF when I am the only one to DNF, specially when the find count is over 50 or so.

Wait, someone pays attention to being the only DNF on a cache? :rolleyes:

I have no compunction against logging a DNF, even if I'm the only person to DNF the cache. (although I may not log a DNF if I didn't like the cache area and quit looking before I find it)

The worst one was a LPC in a parking lot. The cache was so easy that the title and description encouraged people to see how fast they could do it. All the logs described how many seconds it took to find and get out of there. My MIL and I scoured that thing, but found nothing. No other DNF's on that cache in the 8 months that it had been active.

Now, normally, I don't assume that a cache is missing just because I couldn't find it. But in this case, with all the thousands of finds between the two of us and and the apparent easiness of the cache, I really wondered. We even checked other lamposts in the parking lot in case our gps was temporarily acting up.

Anyway, the owner checked it a few days later and said it was there. To this day, we've wondered if he replaced it and just didn't want to admit it, although I can't see why he'd do that. The question will always plague us to our dying day. :anibad:

lol....i personally hate logging a DNF when I am the only one to DNF, specially when the find count is over 50 or so.

Wait, someone pays attention to being the only DNF on a cache? :rolleyes:

Well, I pay attention to how many DNFs there are before I go looking. If there are 67 finds, no DNFs, and I can't find it, then, yes, I'm aware of it.

But I log it, regardless.

I have one of those! 124 finds and I haven't been able to find it. Twice.

What makes it even worse is I had my husband and three of my four kids were looking too - still haven't been able to find it...

I secretly hope it's because I'm just using an iPhone and its not that we suck badly enough to be the only ones to DNF twice on a cache that people are leaving logs like "Quick find", "Nice easy find" and "First ever find. Quick park and grab." :D

Sucks even worse when you're the only DNF and it's more then once.

Edited by starrchilde

You must have the worst timing of any geocacher out there. When we pulled in the cache was in someone's hands, with two other groups in line. By the time it was handed to me, there were two in line behind me. Kinda hard to miss one like that. :laughing:

We went after it on Monday so we were the only people there. I say "we" because there were two of us who were skunked, me and the wife.

From what I heard, Signal found out you were calling him a fake on the forums, saw you coming towards the cache, and temporarily muggled it before you started looking for it. Once you gave up, he replaced the cache, but not before signing the log, "Left name badge, Took golf ball, TFTC."

From what I heard, Signal found out you were calling him a fake on the forums, saw you coming towards the cache, and temporarily muggled it before you started looking for it. Once you gave up, he replaced the cache, but not before signing the log, "Left name badge, Took golf ball, TFTC."

:laughing:

So...the US Geocacher of the Year awards were all given to the worst cacher? Man, I gotta try harder.

You must have the worst timing of any geocacher out there. When we pulled in the cache was in someone's hands, with two other groups in line. By the time it was handed to me, there were two in line behind me. Kinda hard to miss one like that. :laughing:

Kind of an aside...but who re-hid that cache? The two in line behind you or the person who initially found it?

I would be willing to bet that there are 547 unlogged dnf's.

There's nothing so satisfying as logging the first or only dnf on a cache, and then watching the flood of "found it" logs roll in..."easy find", "quick and easy", "walked right up to it", "saw it before we got out of the car".... <_<

This one probably could be seen from the parking spot if you knew where to look. Not really obvious, it did take me a couple minutes to find it.

I checked my stats and I only have one cache where I'm the only DNF but it turns out that it was missing and was replaced a couple of days latter. :D I guess that means you should email me for where to send your various caching awards? :laughing:

edit for sppeling

Edited by captnemo

I found a few caches that weekend simply by driving through town, noticing obvious geocaching activity, and then pulling up and asking cacher's whom ive never met before to sign me in when they found it. They all did it without question. Perhaps you could have tried that? :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I was at GS9 and found that cache.

There was some discrepancy with that one.

Many folks had that cache just up the road from the fairgrounds. Near a small bridge over a creek. In fact, it was at the fence line between the parking area and the fairgrounds. About 300 yrds difference.

I was with another cacher and we simply followed some folks to the first location without either of us looking at our gpsr. When we got to GZ, about 10 folks were looking, without finding.

Both of us then looked at our gprs and ours were pointing to the other location. Which was where the the cache turned out to be.

So, you must have had the cache page with the wrong location. How or why that happened is a mystery to me.

I was at GS9 and found that cache.

There was some discrepancy with that one.

Many folks had that cache just up the road from the fairgrounds. Near a small bridge over a creek. In fact, it was at the fence line between the parking area and the fairgrounds. About 300 yrds difference.

I was with another cacher and we simply followed some folks to the first location without either of us looking at our gpsr. When we got to GZ, about 10 folks were looking, without finding.

Both of us then looked at our gprs and ours were pointing to the other location. Which was where the the cache turned out to be.

So, you must have had the cache page with the wrong location. How or why that happened is a mystery to me.

I was looking around the fairgrounds sign, in the shrubbery around it and in the log borders.

Close, but not *quite*....'snat's intransigence over the ugly mess that was the US '04 Geocacher of the Year Award has finally had some consequences =:-o

This has no effect or meaning to Geocacher of the Decade, of course.

Nuff said.... ;)

Edited by Isonzo Karst