customizable 'my page'

cachew nut

It would be nice to have the ability to customize the appearance of geocaching.com with a page of your own, similar to the custom pages you can have with My Yahoo or others. It would also be nice to be able to select the background colors so that everyone passing my cube at work doesn't think I live on this site.

With internet Explorer, click TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then on the GENERAL tab, click ACCESSIBILITY.

I've never tried it, but here's a link to a MS tutorial on how to do it. It doesn't seem to go into detail on how to create the style sheet, and I didn't follow any of the links to learn more.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

First you will need a style sheet. To get you started, copy this

td {	background-color: White; }body { font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;  background-color: #FFD700;  }

to your notepad and save as any filename.css. I used test1.css and saved it in my D: drive.

Follow what Stunod said above and then make the dialog to look like:

72057_3400.gif

Of course make sure the path and filename match what you've used. Click OK and then again and check out what you've done!

If you are looking to mimic a particular site, grab their style sheet. Look in the source of the page you're wanting to mimic and find something to the effect "<link rel="stylesheet" href="style1.css">." The "style1.css" is what you want.

To grab the file is a little harder than simply copying it. Say the page you are mimicing is http ://www.somesite.com/work/play/page.html. Type in your address bar this: http ://www.somesite.com/work/play/style1.css. If you don't have mimes set up it should display as plain text. It might popup a dialog like you're downloading a file. Either case, save it and change your accessibility dialog like above to reflect this file.

Test it out. It might not work the same on GC.com as the other site so you might have to play with it or use it has a base to build a custom sheet.

There are many tutorials on the web to get you started playing with style sheets.

Enjoy!

CR

72057_2000.gif