How is your geocaching name pronounced?

Whenever I see this topic I can tell who it's directed at. :unsure:

For my geocaching name this may require a longish post, but I will give it a shot anyway.

First of all, the English language has just five vowels most of the time, but sometimes it also considers 'y' to be a vowel: a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y. But English isn't always that simple since they are not always pronounced the same way. There are long vowels and short vowels or silent vowels. I've been told that it is nothing like Italian, so I won't use it for examples

a is pronounced like a long or short a

e is pronounced like a long or short e

i is pronounced like ta long or short i

o is pronounced like the a long or short o

u is pronounced like a long or short u

English has diphthongs. When two vowels are together each retains its sound and pronounced separately, though when saying a word fast it often sounds like one sound. But that is irrelevant here. I'm honestly not sure why I brought it up.

Fortunately, the consonants in my geocaching name are all pronounced the way you would expect them to be pronounced, with the exception of one 'silent', or 'not pronounced' consonant.

In Japanese, with rare exceptions each syllable has the same stress and the same length. Since my geocaching name is not Japanese, there is no need to concern yourself with that.

The silent consonant that I referred to above is the very first letter, the 'k'. Generally, that would be prounced with a gutteral 'ka' sound, but since it is silent, you only say that in your head, just prior to pronouncing the rest. The first syllable, then, 'knows', should be pronounced as 'nows', but that is not true. English is a stranger language even than that of our possession to the north, Canada. 'nows' is actually prounced 'nose'. Strange, but get over it.

The second syllable uses the combination letters, or, 'digraph', 'ch', pronounced like 'ch'. And 'ad', pronounced something like 'add'. So, put it all together, and the pronunciation of my geocaching name is, 'NOSE CHAD'.

Mine is fairly clear.
You'd be surprised. I suspect it's /Dee-Gee-Double yew Fow-tows/ but someone might try the DGW phonetically...

Locally, there's a couple cachers who I know people are saying wrong. One guy I just met recently is 121TechTeam. I always said (in my head) One-Tewnty-One Tech Team." After meeting him, I know it's "One to One Tech Team." Another local is mscrep. I've heard /em-skrep/, /em-ess-see-rep/ and /miz-crep/ among others. I'm pretty sure after meeting them a while back, that he told me he's a Rep for MSC, so the middle one is right, but I talked to a bunch of people that night and might be recalling incorrectly the story.

All you have to know for mine is the "H" is silent, but that's a no-brainer for most. /too-tôl-Jon/

For my geocaching name this may require a longish post, but I will give it a shot anyway.

First of all, the English language has just five vowels most of the time, but sometimes it also considers 'y' to be a vowel: a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y. But English isn't always that simple since they are not always pronounced the same way. There are long vowels and short vowels or silent vowels. I've been told that it is nothing like Italian, so I won't use it for examples

English has diphthongs. When two vowels are together each retains its sound and pronounced separately, though when saying a word fast it often sounds like one sound. But that is irrelevant here. I'm honestly not sure why I brought it up.

Fortunately, the consonants in my geocaching name are all pronounced the way you would expect them to be pronounced, with the exception of one 'silent', or 'not pronounced' consonant.

In Japanese, with rare exceptions each syllable has the same stress and the same length. Since my geocaching name is not Japanese, there is no need to concern yourself with that.

The silent consonant that I referred to above is the very first letter, the 'k'. Generally, that would be prounced with a gutteral 'ka' sound, but since it is silent, you only say that in your head, just prior to pronouncing the rest. The first syllable, then, 'knows', should be pronounced as 'nows', but that is not true. English is a stranger language even than that of our possession to the north, Canada. 'nows' is actually prounced 'nose'. Strange, but get over it.

The second syllable uses the combination letters, or, 'digraph', 'ch', pronounced like 'ch'. And 'ad', pronounced something like 'add'. So, put it all together, and the pronunciation of my geocaching name is, 'NOSE CHAD'.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Larry-C-zip code. :D
There's a cacher in NW England who has a name in similar style to yours - he's pete37038 - generally known to all as "Pete Numbers" :)
I know some cachers who use the telephone spelling of their names as their geocaching handles. (For example, Darin would be 32746 because D=3, A=2, etc.) In person, they just go by their real names.

Our name is misspelled because someone already took 'Fiancetto' when we signed up and I just couldn't wait any longer to join. So it should be pronounced fiancetto fee-an-chett-oh (not fee-an-sett-oh, even though that is how it would be pronounced in Italian. I think. I am thinking of starting a new account as Mrs. F or something like that just to sidestep the whole thing.)

Edited by Fianccetto
Mine is fairly clear.
You'd be surprised. I suspect it's /Dee-Gee-Double yew Fow-tows/ but someone might try the DGW phonetically...

Locally, there's a couple cachers who I know people are saying wrong. One guy I just met recently is 121TechTeam. I always said (in my head) One-Tewnty-One Tech Team." After meeting him, I know it's "One to One Tech Team." Another local is mscrep. I've heard /em-skrep/, /em-ess-see-rep/ and /miz-crep/ among others. I'm pretty sure after meeting them a while back, that he told me he's a Rep for MSC, so the middle one is right, but I talked to a bunch of people that night and might be recalling incorrectly the story.

All you have to know for mine is the "H" is silent, but that's a no-brainer for most. /too-tôl-Jon/

My husband's name is like that. All41. When we first started caching, we had the name as a group name. It was a reference to our family, which had four members, and God. So it's pronounced all four one. But then a couple months later I realized how big geocaching might get for us and made separate accounts for all of us (one of the best decisions ever, didn't realize how big caching would get for us) and my husband kept all41. People will pronounce it all forty-one. He still gets teased sometimes by people who know the difference, but still pronounce it all forty-one. :rolleyes:

Larry-C-zip code. :D

--Larry

There's a cacher in NW England who has a name in similar style to yours - he's pete37038 - generally known to all as "Pete Numbers" :)

MrsB

I started a (short-lived) trend when I signed on. At least two other new cachers in my area created accounts using some variant of name + zip code soon after I signed up. Eventually, folks realized there are much more creative ways to come up with an alias. :P

--Larry

Mine is fairly clear.

You have it correct.

One of the cachers in my area is known as sciuchetti (Their last name), and it's pronounced Sha-Keh-Tee.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Poor toz. :(

SH-knee-va....

Seriously? Or are you just messing with us?

I thought it was "sigh-oh-NEE-vah".

No, seriously! That's how it's pronounced!

You know...

I've been giving this thought all day long.

And you know what? You are wrong. There is no way that Sioneva can be prounced "Shneeva". OK, I might buy into "Sheeoneva", but if you want Shneeva, you must have spelled it wrong. Sorry, but look at how its spelled. Welch or whatever... it just doesn't work like that, Sheeoneva.

SH-knee-va....

Seriously? Or are you just messing with us?

I thought it was "sigh-oh-NEE-vah".

No, seriously! That's how it's pronounced!

You know...

I've been giving this thought all day long.

And you know what? You are wrong. There is no way that Sioneva can be prounced "Shneeva". OK, I might buy into "Sheeoneva", but if you want Shneeva, you must have spelled it wrong. Sorry, but look at how its spelled. Welch or whatever... it just doesn't work like that, Sheeoneva.

Okay, you are off the guest list! And I'm writing you out of my will!

It's a slightly slurred derivative of the Welsh Sion... And there's no Sheeeeee here you go.