How is your geocaching name pronounced?

After reading a few posts in various topics tonight, I suddenly realized that the correct pronunciation of some geocaching names (based on the way they are spelled in the forums) may actually be very different than the way their owners intend them to sound.

Mine is pronounced just as it is spelled: cash-test-DUM-eeze.

Are you sure you are pronouncing other people's geocaching names correctly? How is your geocaching name pronounced?

Mine's easy to pronounce, it's just like it's spelled, but folks often have trouble abbreviating it.

I chose TheAlabamaRambler because when I signed on you couldn't have spaces in usernames, else it would be The Alabama Rambler.

Most folks see the capitalized letters and shorten it to TAR.

A few call me Alabama, many call me Rambler.

I don't much care, as long as you don't call me late for dinner. :D

Too funny! I thought it was pronounced 'dee-fecs' as in 'defects' too!

I was kidding of course :P You can pronounce it any way you'd like. Most people just spell it. But there's no "proper" way and I don't really care either.

Edited by dfx

Whenever I see this topic I can tell who it's directed at. :unsure:

For my geocaching name this may require one of those long posts that I seem to be famous for. I will give it a shot anyway.

First of all, Japanese has just five vowels: a, e, i, o, u. But unlike English it's really simple since they are always pronounced the same way. There are no long vowels and short vowels or silent vowels. I've been told that Italian is somewhat similar, so I'll use it for examples

a is pronounced as the a in papa

e is pronounced like the e in prego

i is pronounced like the i in pizza

o is pronounced like the o in o sole mio

u is pronounced like the u in luna

Japanese has no diphthongs. When two vowels are together each retains its sound and pronounced separately, though when saying a word fast it often sounds like one sound. So in my geocaching name the zai is za-i but it will sound like sigh.

Fortunately, the consonants in my geocaching name are all pronounced the way you would expect them to be pronounced, so I don't have to explain the sound that is transliterated r or a few others where the pronunciation is not obvious.

Japaneses syllables are always open, meaning that they end in a vowel. The exception is the special syllable "N". Japanese actually view the N as separate syllable and pronounce it separately. Most non-native speakers add the N sound to previous syllable. In either case it has the effect of nasalizing the previous vowel. When the N occurs before a bilabial consonant like b or p it is often transliterated m so the lips will be in a position to pronounce the the bilabial in the following syllable.

In Japanese, with rare exceptions each syllable has the same stress and the same length.

Finally the 'to' in my name is actually two syllables to-o. Sometimes you will see my name transliterated tōzainamboku or touzainanboku. In hiragana it is written とぅざいなんぼく.

So the pronunciation of my geocaching name is TO-O-ZA-I-NA-M-BO-KU.

It all depends......

If your name is Gummee, I am called sh__head, usually.

If your name is not Gummee, Gít-chee (tough one, there).

The better half is Goom-mee.

EDIT: Gitchee-Gummee (in a variety of spellings) is a term that most all (westerners) have heard at one time, but they rarely remember where they heard it from.

[Watch out Google -- here come the searches]

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

SH-knee-va....

... it's always fun watching them try to pronounce it when they have only seen it in logs or forum. :)

Thanks, I never would have gotten that right! I'd have tried to pronounce it as spelled, sion-eva

+1. I've always thought "sy-ohn-eeva"

Mine is hide-n-seek

Edited by hydnsek

SH-knee-va....

... it's always fun watching them try to pronounce it when they have only seen it in logs or forum. :)

My job is a deep pool of acronyms and I have a bit of dyslexia so it's far easier for me to simply go with the flow. For example, when I see the word GSAK (G-SAK) my brain says gask - as in gasket.

I see your name and I think sinovia (see-no-vi-a, no accent mark on any syllable. Almost Russian) and personally I like it. Good name. In person (meaning no written letters) I would have no problem with SH-knee-va. Like that too.

Side-note - I used to work in a customer service center where no one had the same name. Which meant some people had to pick a new one if someone already working there was using it. There are a bunch of people that I still refer to them by their alias, as do others. Some are referred to by both. Hey there Brad-Rob! :)

Edited by BlueDeuce

SH-knee-va....

My job is a deep pool of acronyms and I have a bit of dyslexia so it's far easier for me to simply go with the flow. For example, when I see the word GSAK (G-SAK) my brain says gask - as in gasket.

I see your name and I think sinovia (see-no-vi-a, no accent mark on any syllable. Almost Russian) and personally I like it. Good name. In person (meaning no written letters) I would have no problem with SH-knee-va. Like that too.

Side-note - I used to work in a customer service center where no one had the same name. Which meant some people had to pick a new one if someone already working there was using it. There are a bunch of people that I still refer to them by their alias, as do others. Some are referred to by both. Hey there Brad-Rob! :)

Thanks for the post Blew-du-shay

Edited by briansnat

SH-knee-va....

Thanks for the post Blew-du-shay

Stop it. :anibad: