how do you introduce yourself?

When meeting other geocachers, do you first introduce yourself by your geocaching username, or by your given birth name?

I always say, "hi, I'm dorqie." and most people recognize that as they've seen it in a log somewhere. My bf doesn't like to use his username in real life, and when meeting geocachers he's often met with blank stares.

What do you introduce yourself by when you meet another geocacher?

well, sometimes I wonder if I should do the reverse, I often just do my username since thats how folks will recognize me if I am in my caching area.

In my personal experience, its more often the newer cachers who do their real names and I have to ask for the caching name.

If I said, "hi, I'm dorqie.", most people would say, "you sure are!"

most people would!

I actually didn't realize I would have to use it in the real world so much when I first started geocaching. If I had known people would come to know my by this name I would have chosen something...cooler.

I will say "Hi, I'm Sioneva", and invariably, they will reply, "Oh, so that is how you pronounce it."

Never fails.

How do you pronounce it? SionEEVa? Or SiONeva? Or maybe "SIoneva". Or is the "v" silent?

Actually, it's more like "SH-knee-va". Accent on the SH. Stole it from Wales!

I start with "Are you geocaching?".

If they say "Yes!" or "What gave us away?!" or if they approach me, put their left hand on my right shoulder (standing at arms length), and begin to dance around me in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!", then I introduce myself by my real name, followed by my geocaching name.

If, on the other hand, they look at me like I'm dorqie, or reach for their phone while backing away slowly, or attempt to conceal themselves in a nearby patch of poison ivy or behind a giant hogweed plant, I say "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

[snip]

If, on the other hand, they look at me like I'm dorqie, or reach for their phone while backing away slowly, or attempt to conceal themselves in a nearby patch of poison ivy or behind a giant hogweed plant, I say "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Inconceivable!

If they say "Yes!" or "What gave us away?!" or if they approach me, put their left hand on my right shoulder (standing at arms length), and begin to dance around me in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!", then I introduce myself by my real name, followed by my geocaching name.

:laughing: Thanks.

I usually introduce myself as Ambrosia. And then, if I feel like it, I may say my real name. I'm very comfortable with my caching name. It's a nickname that my husband has called me since we started dating 20 years ago, because it's very similar to my real name. And after caching for 9 years, it's pretty second nature to me. I'd say I'm just about as comfortable with it as my real name. I'm so glad that I chose something nice, and that I started caching early enough that the name was available. Even cachers who've known me for a while and know my real name often call me Ambrosia or 'Bro. Though a lot of those are Cheerios and we just tend to be that way. ;)

I've noticed that if I go around with my MIL however, I don't end up even getting to the introduction. I guess I'm too much of a wallflower. She's more forward, and will introduce herself and invariably everyone gets all twittery about it and forget about me. She tries to introduce me, but they just talk over her. It's ironic, since I'm probably as well known as her (depending on which circles you're talking to), and I also do volunteer work with Groundspeak and so I figure that's it's their loss. ;):laughing::rolleyes:

Hi I'm StarBrand or Troy if you prefer.

Troy? TROY? I've thought you were a female all this time! oops! :huh:

ME TOO. StarBrand is male!?

Anyway.

I think it's extremely dorky to introduce myself as my caching name, but I've noticed that I can't avoid it. So I always say, "I'm BaylorGrad, but you can call me Jason."

I usually start with "Hi. You haven't seen a couple of guys in white coats carrying a straight jacket have you?" For some reason it seldom goes any farther. :(

So that explains what happened at GW9. :anibad:

I don't think we want to go there.

We don't? :unsure::ph34r:

I guess we COULD go there. But the event is over. We probably wouldn't find anyone else there.

I usually start with "Hi. You haven't seen a couple of guys in white coats carrying a straight jacket have you?" For some reason it seldom goes any farther. :(

So that explains what happened at GW9. :anibad:

I don't think we want to go there.

We don't? :unsure::ph34r:

I guess we COULD go there. But the event is over. We probably wouldn't find anyone else there.

:laughing: If I was able to go there, I would have gone during the event. :anibad:

Beat me to it.

Maybe we need a pinned thread that contains the essential info and inside/running jokes that all newer forum visitors need. Nah, on second thought we don't....... :ph34r:

I've not been Geocaching long and whilst sometimes I get the feeling that random people walking by during my searches are cachers as well I haven't actually seen any. Perhaps we should all make Geocaching T-Shirts with our names on them... :D.

I'd be willing to pay $20 for a t-shirt with a Geocaching logo on one side and my username on the other!

Hey Groundspeak, listen up! :)

Beat me to it.

Maybe we need a pinned thread that contains the essential info and inside/running jokes that all newer forum visitors need. Nah, on second thought we don't....... :ph34r:

What inside joke? This is the old school standard introduction.

Standard greeting or not, if a cacher starting dancing around me chanting I'd be the one backing away out of there really quickly. Otherwise I'd definitely be the dorqie one.

The last time I ran into a cacher I was at a FTF trying to figure out how to log it on my phone. Another cacher drove up. I waved at him through his window but he just looked at me as if I had just done the standard cacher greeting.

I waited outside my car, still messing with my phone, but he just grabbed his backpack and headed off toward the cache. Guess he thought I'd rather text than get the FTF. (I had my GPS in hand still)

So, since he wasn't talking, I began by "Excuse me? Can you do me a favor"

now he's looking at me as if I had just introduced myself as Inigo Montoya.

I held out a large piece of swag I had forgotten in my car but wanted to put in the very large cache.

"can you put this in it for me?"

Then he got it.

"oh, you found it already?"

I always feel like apologizing in that moment. When really I'm not sorry.

Edited by Sol seaker

I've not been Geocaching long and whilst sometimes I get the feeling that random people walking by during my searches are cachers as well I haven't actually seen any. Perhaps we should all make Geocaching T-Shirts with our names on them... :D.

I'd be willing to pay $20 for a t-shirt with a Geocaching logo on one side and my username on the other!

Hey Groundspeak, listen up! :)

I made my own logo recently that would be perfect for a T-shirt or something like a key ring... the initial idea was a keyring to put into caches that I find but then a T-Shirt started sounding good as well haha.

Whenever I see other cachers, I usually say "Did you find it yet?". Followed by my birthname and eventually our team name.

+1. Or, if it's a FTF situation, "so, I take it I'm too late...", which invariably results in either a retelling of the find or lessons on how not to be too late. Either way, convo ensues.

--Matt

If I said, "hi, I'm dorqie.", most people would say, "you sure are!"

most people would!

I actually didn't realize I would have to use it in the real world so much when I first started geocaching. If I had known people would come to know my by this name I would have chosen something...cooler.

I say I'm Jaygonude and they usually say yup you are.

My intro goes like this:

"Hi, I'm narrow gauge railroad fan... one of the Monday Musketeers."

I always assumed you were "The Doll," as there are nevery and logs from "The Doll." Only WingsAndTales...I saw a nametag saying "The Doll" at an event once. Maybe it was you...hmmm...haha