Random stats

hzoi

To the OP 74.45% of my finds are 100 miles from home while 49.30% are greater than 500 miles from home

Farthest North Cache - Beyond Top of the World GC1YYCZ

Farthest South Cache - Devil's Throat GCG5AM

Farthest East Longitude - Wedding Bells (Gongs) GC2140B

Farthest in an East direction from my home - Arches and Pearls GC194FB

Farthest West Longitude - Thanks to Belynda GCRGKY

Farthest in a West direction from my home - Hanging Cache GC25AE6

Farthest from my home - The Tree of Life GCP4ZC

Can you explain this? I understand that a cache can be further than one of your north-south-east-west caches, but it doesnt have anything to do with the prime meridian..... Maybe distance from the equator...but not prime meridian.

If you live at N 00° 00.000' W 179° 59.999', the cache at N 00° 00.000' E/W 000° 00.000' will be the furthest possible cache from your location. Any cache off the prime meridian, let's say at N 00° 00.000' E 000° 00.001' or at N 00° 00.000' W 000° 00.001', will be considered more east or more west than the cache furthest away from your home location, and will be closer to your home location. Same goes for any cache on the prime meridian, but off the equator.

Distance to equator also plays a role, but it's somewhat different. If you live on the south pole, than the most northern cache will always be the one furthest away from you, and vice versa.

Edited by dfx

I have more finds on the 5th day of the month (175 total) than any other day. My day with the lowest amount of finds is the 22nd, with a total of just 25 finds.

My 1,666th find was in a cemetery somewhere in southern Wisconsin last weekend.

Edited by Team Dennis
True, but I'm guessing odds are high that one of your farthest N/E/S/W is also your farthest from home.

No, not at all. Plus, you don't see the "distance from home" for those caches.

Interesting. For all the accounts that I know their home location for it is true that one of their farthest N/E/S/W caches is also their farthest from home.

I must be an exception then :P

The further away you live from the prime meridian, the more wrong it will be.

Can you explain this? I understand that a cache can be further than one of your north-south-east-west caches, but it doesnt have anything to do with the prime meridian..... Maybe distance from the equator...but not prime meridian.

If you live at the 180 degree lines your farthest W and E caches could be inches from your home.

True, but I'm guessing odds are high that one of your farthest N/E/S/W is also your farthest from home.

Interesting. For all the accounts that I know their home location for it is true that one of their farthest N/E/S/W caches is also their farthest from home.

I must be an exception then :P

The further away you live from the prime meridian, the more wrong it will be.

If you live at the 180 degree lines your farthest W and E caches could be inches from your home.

BTW this is the reason I have requested that the Findstats macro for GSAK gives the farthest east and west from my home coordinates

BTW this is the reason I have requested that the Findstats macro for GSAK gives the farthest east and west from my home coordinates

How do you define "farthest east from your coordinates"?

Probably the same way you define "farthest east from the Prime Meridian", only using your home meridian instead.

Admittedly, if you happen to live at the South Pole, there's a certain amount of arbitrariness in your home meridian...

Probably the same way you define "farthest east from the Prime Meridian", only using your home meridian instead.

Quite a bit of potential for confusion there, though. For example, if I were to find a cache in Mongolia, let's say around N 44 40.000 E 100 3.900, that would be the most eastern cache for me from here, but to get there in straight line, I'd actually have to go north, not east. While a cache in Mozambique, let's say around S 21 3.000 E 34 14.000, would be not "as east", but would actually be further away, and I'd actually have to go (straight) east from here to get there.

Now it makes sense if you use the "home meridian", but is confusing when you use your "home location".

Edited by dfx

I've been trying to decide if it is possible to use public information in someones farthest east/west/south/north stats to figure out where they live.

Theoretically, they could live anywhere within the "rectangle" formed by those statistics. Empirically, they probably live closer to the center than to the edges. It's extremely unlikely that they live at the dead center.

Edit: Actually, they could live outside the rectangle, too.

I live much closer to the west side of my rectangel than the east.

Less than 25% of my finds are micros. Just something I noticed on the program CacheStats about 2 years ago, long before Geocaching.com got their own statistics. But now that I noticed it, I strive to never let that number get over 25%. Oops, that's not bragging, is it? :lol:

Only 14% of my finds are micros.

You can count me in the group that my farthest from home is not the same cache as my farthest NEWS

Me too. However, my farthest from home and farthest East are quite close to each other.

Quite a bit of potential for confusion there, though. For example, if I were to find a cache in Mongolia, let's say around N 44 40.000 E 100 3.900, that would be the most eastern cache for me from here, but to get there in straight line, I'd actually have to go north, not east. While a cache in Mozambique, let's say around S 21 3.000 E 34 14.000, would be not "as east", but would actually be further away, and I'd actually have to go (straight) east from here to get there.

Now it makes sense if you use the "home meridian", but is confusing when you use your "home location".

As an example, the cache that my stats pages indicates is the furthest east is a virtual in Tianenmen Square. It's ~6600 miles from home and the flight I took headed north, and a bit west from NY. My furthest and southern most cache is in South Africa and the flight from NY heads Southeast. It's 2200 miles farther away then the one in China.

How do you define "farthest east from your coordinates"?

Admittedly, if you happen to live at the South Pole, there's a certain amount of arbitrariness in your home meridian...

Yes, I use a home Meridian. So I live at W 94° 24.309 Anything between W 94° 24.309 and E 86° 4.14899 if you head towards the setting sun is west of me. If you head towards the rising sun it is east of me.

I've been trying to decide if it is possible to use public information in someones farthest east/west/south/north stats to figure out where they live.

Theoretically, they could live anywhere within the "rectangle" formed by those statistics. Empirically, they probably live closer to the center than to the edges. It's extremely unlikely that they live at the dead center.

Edit: Actually, they could live outside the rectangle, too.

I live much closer to the west side of my rectangel than the east.

Less than 25% of my finds are micros. Just something I noticed on the program CacheStats about 2 years ago, long before Geocaching.com got their own statistics. But now that I noticed it, I strive to never let that number get over 25%. Oops, that's not bragging, is it? :lol:

Only 14% of my finds are micros.

I'm at 12.26% micros, I prefer hiking for caches but in the last week I found 4 micros that were in a forested trail area and 2 others that were on mountains far from regular traffic. Nothing beats mountain micros.

Yes, I use a home Meridian. So I live at W 94° 24.309 Anything between W 94° 24.309 and E 86° 4.14899 if you head towards the setting sun is west of me. If you head towards the rising sun it is east of me.

Well you see, that's just the thing. Going from W 94° 24.309 to E 85° 35.691, you never go east or west. You always go either north or south.

OK, everyone who has way under 25% micro finds does not need to pile on Mr. Yuck. Let's see, I live in the suburbs, .4 miles from the nearest Walmart, and 1.2 miles from a 1,000,000 square foot mall. I spend 99% of my time in said suburbs. Believe me, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone from my area with over 1,000 finds whose micro number isn't 40%-50%. I've seen more than 50% even.

' timestamp='1310175259' post='4769549']

I'm at 12.26% micros, I prefer hiking for caches but in the last week I found 4 micros that were in a forested trail area and 2 others that were on mountains far from regular traffic. Nothing beats mountain micros.

Um, Mountain ammo cans? :P

I'd be interested in looking at the distance between the caching centriod and people's home coords.

Mine is 142km from home.

As for the OP and my "random stat"?

More than 1000 of the caches I have Found are now Archived.

Second random stat? I have found more caches that are >1000km from home than I have found caches <20km from home.

OK, everyone who has way under 25% micro finds does not need to pile on Mr. Yuck. Let's see, I live in the suburbs, .4 miles from the nearest Walmart, and 1.2 miles from a 1,000,000 square foot mall. I spend 99% of my time in said suburbs. Believe me, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone from my area with over 1,000 finds whose micro number isn't 40%-50%. I've seen more than 50% even.

I have 19% micros live in the suburbs. Northern NJ, 22 miles from Times Square. Don't get much more suburban than that.

Here's one to make everyone cringe: 49.64% micros.

(And let's be honest, most of the "smalls" have been micros too.)

I can beat that: 53.46% micros (plus however many of the smalls, not chosens, and others were really micros)

My random stat is that I've found 2 large caches, however [a] the 2 large caches I've found are not listed as large caches, and the 2 caches I've found that are listed as large caches were not actually large caches.

Exactly 0% of our finds are between 50 to 250km from our home coordinates.

Distance to Finds:
< 1km                 32 ( 3.46%)
1 km to 10 km        336 (36.36%)
10 km to 25 km        26 ( 2.81%)
25 km to 50 km        23 ( 2.49%)
50 km to 100 km        0 ( 0.00%)
100 km to 250 km       0 ( 0.00%)
250 km to 500 km      58 ( 6.28%)
500 km to 1000 km    226 (24.46%)
1000 km to 2500 km    42 ( 4.55%)
2500 km to 5000 km   166 (17.97%)
5000 km to 7500 km     3 ( 0.32%)
> 7500km              12 ( 1.30%)

Mr. Terratin

You can count me in the group that my farthest from home is not the same cache as my farthest NEWS

Me too. However, my farthest from home and farthest East are quite close to each other.

My cache farthest from home, and my most easterly cache, are 12 1/2 hours from each other by road. :D

Edited by Ambrosia
I'd be interested in looking at the distance between the caching centriod and people's home coords.

I've lived in both Missouri and Ohio since I started caching. I have significantly more finds in Ohio, so I might expect it to be weighted over there. BUT I also have quite a few finds from vacation in Hawaii. By luck, if you draw a straight line between my homes in Ohio and Missouri and continue the line out west, it intersects almost perfectly with the Hawaiian island. So my centroid is pretty close to halfway between the two places I've lived.

My furthest from home and furthest east are the closest out of any of the directions... and they are over 3000 km apart!

I wasn't pileing on.... 25% is quite low. Most people that I have seen are a fair bit higher than that.

PS, I also live in the suburbs.

I wasn't pileing on.... 25% is quite low. Most people that I have seen are a fair bit higher than that.

PS, I also live in the suburbs.

Oh, I was just kidding. BrianSnat, now he's piling on!! But we've finally heard from a couple people with like 48% and 53%. These numbers are pretty much in line with every 1,000 find and greater account in my area! I have yet to see (although I suppose someone is going to point one out) A 1,000+ find account in Western NY State that does not have micro as the number one found size. It's actually 3rd for me, behind small and regular.

EDIT: Never mind, I found one. And he wouldn't like it if he knew I made that statement about all 1,000 find accounts (in my area) having micro as the #1 size. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

If you live at N 00° 00.000' W 179° 59.999', the cache at N 00° 00.000' E/W 000° 00.000' will be the furthest possible cache from your location. Any cache off the prime meridian, let's say at N 00° 00.000' E 000° 00.001' or at N 00° 00.000' W 000° 00.001', will be considered more east or more west than the cache furthest away from your home location, and will be closer to your home location. Same goes for any cache on the prime meridian, but off the equator.

Distance to equator also plays a role, but it's somewhat different. If you live on the south pole, than the most northern cache will always be the one furthest away from you, and vice versa.

Ok, I'll give you that, However, it only affects you in a rare case where you cross the 180 degree line to cache, which I'm guessing is a small minority of cachers. Living at W 83 as I do is no different than living at the prime meridian.

The reason I say that it can be affected by how far you are from the equator is that the latitude lines get closer together as you get closer to the north pole. So the latitude/longitude lines become less rectangular and your coordinates become less associated with distance from coordinates.